Unable to log in

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Please describe what happens when you try to log in with XP (not in 95 mode) and quote any message you get.

Configuring some popular firewalls is covered here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/How_do_I_configure_my_software_firewall_(such_as_Norton_Internet_Security,_McAfee_Personal_Firewall,_or_ZoneAlarm)%3F

What product are you using?

Nyll

15 answers to this question

Please describe what happens when you try to log in with XP (not in 95 mode) and quote any message you get.

Configuring some popular firewalls is covered here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/How_do_I_configure_my_software_firewall_(such_as_Norton_Internet_Security,_McAfee_Personal_Firewall,_or_ZoneAlarm)%3F

What product are you using?

Nyll

Faubio.Alter wrote:

????????? Are you using both Windows XP and 95? If just 95 it may not work. See the requirements here:

http://secondlife.com/support/system-requirements/

(Wow, Windows 95, I haven't seen anyone reference that OS in a loooooong time. Geez, that came out 15 years ago. Congratulation for keeping it going this long. Well done.)

The OP doesn't have Windows 95. They merely tried running SL on Windows XP in 95 compatibility mode (which is unnecessary).

@ the OP: SL should run on XP normal mode just fine. However, looking at your system specs you are running at the bare minimum specs with 512mb RAM which could be the problem, especially if you have other programs using memory too when you try to run SL. I just logged into SL now and, at it's peak, the login process used 370mb. In your case you would only need 142mb of memory being used by other programs to hit problems (which could easily be the case - the operating system components alone probably use more than 142mb memory).

As Nyll suggests, let us know exactly what is happening when you try to log on. Do you get a particular error message? This might help someone identify the exact problem I suspect whatever the problem is you are going to need more memory to be able to run SL effectively though.

• Like 1

I get two messages:

1)

Login failed.

Despite our best efforts, something unexpected has gone wrong.

[]Please check status.secondlifegrid.net to see if there is a known problem with the service.

If you continue to experience problems, please check your network and firewall setup.

2)

The following media plugin has failed:

media_plugin_webkit

Please re-install the plugin or contact the vendor if you continue to experience problems.

The first message is telling you that you are apparently having a network issue.  It's something in your network that is causing your problem.  It could be your bandwidth is not enough..........you need at least 500 kbps to have even a laggy connection.  The second message I don't believe will prevent you from logging in.  It's one of those informational messages and if you okay out of it you might be able to log in.

Your computer just barely meets the minimum.  512 megs of RAM is very low for a computer to run SL.  If I remember correctly (it's been at least 4 years since I ran an XP system) XP requires about 300 megs of RAM just to staying running.  That does not count any programs running in the background such as anti-virus, firewall, email checkers, instant messaging programs, or desktop wallpaper changers.  SL requires right at 500 megs.  You'll get a little help from your video card's onboard video RAM (128 megs) on the graphics rendering, but it's really not enough...........you're short about 256 megs to cover everything at a minimum.  Running SL in Win 95 mode will not help...........SL won't run on a 95 system (very few programs that were created in the last 10 years will).  I don't think it's a compatibility issue............XP will run SL just fine.  You're problem is either your home network, ISP, or your computer is just too weak to run SL.  You should be able to find more RAM for your computer.............put in, at least, 512 more megs (or as much as your system will handle up to about 3 gigs since XP 32 bit will not recognize more that than anyway.  The driver you are running for your video card is not current either.  I looked up the newest driver for that card........it might help if you updated to a current driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-258.96-whql-driver.html

I'm editing to say something.  Your response to Nyll:

"With all due respect, I think you are deviating from the innitial post. If anyone has issues other than those I have specified, please be so kind as to start a new question, as it just makes things confusing."

It's quite common for people to "piggyback" on someone else's thread if they are experiencing a similar problem as you (it may not even be similar, but a problem that sort of fits).  A question was asked and Nyll answered.  She is one of the most helpful and most polite posters in SLA..........she's certainly much nicer than me.  Calling her out for helping someone else on "your thread" was more than just a little rude.

Sorry, I just had to come back to say that after thinking about it for a few minutes.

Hi a couple of suggestions (some things have already been said that you should consider seriously).

1) Never Never run anything in Windows 95 mode unless it is a program  from the Windows 95 era. Windows 95 is a 16 bit system. XP is a 32 bit  system. Second Life will not run on 16 bit systems. The only reason you  would want to use Win95 mode is if you are running software produced  before Windows 98SE was released in about 1999. The version of Windows  98 before Win98SE was capeable of running in 32 bit mode but didn't do  it well. Win98SE was really the first Windows 32 bit operating system for home computers. It is very possible that running in Windows 95 mode is messing with your network adaptor and/or with your firewall.

2) You need more RAM as Peggy Paperdoll pointed out. Your computer is overloaded before you even try to log in to Second Life.

3) You say you updated your antivirus software just before the issues. Peggy gave some very good discussion about the load you computer is running. Your updated antivirus could very likely be using more of the computer's resources than the previous version. 512 megs of RAM is not enough to run much of anything. The computer I'm typing this on is running Windows XP. It has 2 gigs of RAM (4 times what your computer has) and it is using 43% of that as it idles. My computer has 880 mb of RAM (368 mb more than you have) "in use" with no heavy duty programs running. Your computer will be slow as molasses because in order to run anything it will be using your Hard Drive Cache to offload what should/could be running in RAM.

Your system has an AGP video card so it is likely in the era of DDR RAM. It will have at least two RAM slots which in DDR era tecnology limits you to two 1 gig sticks. The odd computer in that era had 3 slots, and the occasional one had 4. Used RAM from that era is quite cheap and plentiful on used technology sites.

4) You are using a GeForce 7600 GS/AGP/SSE2  graphics processor which has its own graphics processor and memory. That is likely why your machine was ble to limp its way into Second Life Even though it has its own video memory and GPU, it is close to if not at the very bottom of the Second Life capeable video cards. It is an AGP card so that indicates your system is probably 2002 vintage. It is not new and fast technology -- just a steady old workhorse.

5) As Peggy points out, your video driver is not up to date. That will help, but it likely won't change whether you get to log in. It will just run better once you do log in.

6) Although as Peggy suggests the second message is likely unrelated to your log in problems, you should check that you are running the latest version of Quick Time. Webkit is the Browser that Viewer 2 uses and it should update as you update Quick Time.Once you have downloaded and installed Quick Time from the Apple site it will install Apple Software Update which should notify you when updates are available.

7) Go to this page: http://secondlife.com/support/systest.php and click the "Can You Run It?" button. The  application runs better for me in Internet Explorer that other  browsers. You will have to say yes to install the scanner and it will  take a minute or two to deliver the verdict. It will tell you exactly what your computer needs to run Second Life. I have no idea why that link isn't out and very visible for everyone.

Peggy.Paperdoll wrote:

I'm editing to say something.  Your response to Nyll:

"With all due respect, I think you are deviating from the innitial post. If anyone has issues other than those I have specified, please be so kind as to start a new question, as it just makes things confusing."

It's quite common for people to "piggyback" on someone else's thread if they are experiencing a similar problem as you (it may not even be similar, but a problem that sort of fits).  A question was asked and Nyll answered.  She is one of the most helpful and most polite posters in SLA..........she's certainly much nicer than me.  Calling her out for helping someone else on "your thread" was more than just a little rude.

Sorry, I just had to come back to say that after thinking about it for a few minutes.

Thank you Peggy...really kind of you to post this.

Nyll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.