Why are there so few homesteads for sale?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4909 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

21 answers to this question

Aztek Aeon wrote:

There has been NO final word on what will happen in January regarding grandfatered status. Please don't perpetuate rumours.

... Which is possibly the best answer to the OP. (^_^)

Nobody is selling because the change could make thier GF homesteads jump in value. (^_^)

Nobody is buying because the change could ruin the value of GF homesteads. (>_<)

As a holder of a GF homestead, myself, I'm really clutching to the former. (^_^)y

Another reason there are so few homesteads for sale is there are likely not very many homesteads.

Apparently, or so I gathered from the SL land buying site, if you want a homestead created you have to first buy a full sim... You can't just buy the cheaper homestead alone...

Because of this, as far as I can tell only those who buy full sims can own homesteads, so there's very little demand for buying homestead sims...

No, there's plenty of homesteads - right before the freezing of the GF tier, there was a mad scramble by large estates to buy as many as they could. However, you arent seeing many for sale now because those who are giving theirs up, are just abandoning them back to LL.

Right  now, they have little retail value beyond the transfer fee. I see most  go for about 125. Thats 25US left over for the seller and with tickets  taking a donkeys year to  be processed, its not worth it, unless they  are selling in lots of 3.

The past few policy changes regarding  land has absolutely devastated what was once a thriving  & active  part of SL.  Now you can't even give away land...including mainland.

SimonLeo Roelofs wrote:

I am looking for a homestead sim to buy (full transfer) but there are very few for sale.

why is that?

Unless you are a full prim sim owner who wants to expand their land holdings, one can "buy" umpteen different Homestead sims on the market right now with land ownership rights and admin manager estate rights. You only have to pay by the week - from 7300 L per week upward. So what that means is that you play with complete Homestead sim at less than the 125 USD per month one would have to fork out if they paid tiers to Linden Lab directly. Of course, your Homestead under such an arrangement can be pulled out from under you at any time by the true Homestead owner. However, many large reputable land barons have great deals now. You just have to look under land search ... in probably Viewer 1.23 or a TPV... god knows how the land search is working in Viewer 2 these days.... I am too irritable lately to even try out Viewer 2 again.

Also, there have been some great renting deals for full prim sims as well... paying only tier at cost.. as many land barons are just trying to hold onto their inventory until things improve.

SimonLeo Roelofs wrote:

I would guess the demand is great but many people can not buy it.

This means it is an outstanding chance for landlords.

I happen to own a few sims so I can get alot of homesteads to rent out.

If you are paying 125 USD per month for a Homestead, you can not possibly compete with the others out there who are only paying 95 USD per month in tier on them. I know, because I tried earlier this year... it is a lost cause.

SimonLeo Roelofs wrote:

I own 16 FP sims

Well, one Homestead at 125 USD per month might take you down a bit, because you won't be able to make a profit on the thing when there are so many Homesteads still out there at 95 USD per month. As of May 1st this year, any transfer of ownership of Homesteads result in the new owner having to pay 125 USD on their new Homestead.

This thread is full of misinformation so let me try to set the record straight:

The tier rate on Grandfathered sims will not be increasing through December of next year:

http://blogs.secondlife.com/community/land/blog/2010/10/04/two-important-updates-on-2011-land-pricing

"All retail private region maintenance, including grandfathered pricing, is expected to continue without increase through Dec. 31, 2011."

Yes, it is possible to profit at the $125 tier rate in spite of what other people might say.

As far as the claim that transfers take forever, that is simply not true.  Find a seller or buyer who has Extended Support and your ticket will be processed within 24 hours.  Most of my tickets recently are completed in less than 4 hours.

Yes, the pricing for transfer sims is lower than it has been, the $125 per sim rate mentioned above sounds about right for a Homestead sim but I have seen them listed as high as $200 or $250 per sim.

The deals are out there if you know how to find them.

Good luck!

Lizard Howl

Segarra Estates Owner

Lizard Howl wrote:

Yes, it is possible to profit at the $125 tier rate in spite of what other people might say.

Really? Well, perhaps you can elaborate on this since one would have to compete with so many Homesteads with a monthly tier of $95.00 per month. I would be very interested in hearing how it can be done - seriously.

Yoki Enoch wrote:

Lizard Howl wrote:

Really? Well, perhaps you can elaborate on this since one would have to compete with so many Homesteads with a monthly tier of $95.00 per month. I would be very interested in hearing how it can be done - seriously.

1. Make your rent high enough to make a profit. 
  2. Give outstanding customer service.
  3. Make your sims beautiful, and not a boring pancake.

People will gladly pay more for this.

Darien Caldwell wrote:

Yoki Enoch wrote:

Lizard Howl wrote:

3. Make your sims beautiful, and not a boring pancake.

People will gladly pay more for this.

Ahem. I doubt that very much. I have owned estate sims before, including Homesteads. In order to make the rent high enough to make a MARGINAL profit, one would have to increase it by at least 25%. Also, Homesteads with tiers at 95 USD per month are not fixed in numbers, but do keep coming into SL through the Atlas program to the larger land barons. So the competition at lower rates continues to rise.

The giving of outstanding service is always a "given" to those who venture into this area. It does not attract people because they don't know it's there until they come. It may keep people longer - say for 2 months instead of staying for only one month.

A beautiful sim? Sorry, but I have to chuckle at that. True, some people will be attracted to that, but nowadays, given all the great bargains available, people are looking for price. They can make their own beauty, and many are very good at it.

In esence, given the current marketplace, there are hundreds of Homesteads for rent at 7500 L per week. 90% of these Homesteads are very attractive. But with a Homestead at a monthly tier of 125 USD per month, one would have to charge 9500 L per week in order to make an 18% profit. It would take a full year just to recupe the cost of the intitial cost of the purchase price of the Homestead, and that would be at a bargain price of 200 USD.

Sorry, but Linden Lab has destroyed the Homestead market for the medium to small estate sim owners, and has obviously kept it in reserve for the likes of Dreamland ACS, Jewels Islands, and maybe a few others, who can still pay only 95 USD per month in tier on Homesteads with even the new ones they purchase.

Hi Yoki -

I'm tempted to chalk you up as a nay-sayer but since you are keeping the thread going and have asked me to respond, I will!

Darien wrote:"

3. Make your sims beautiful, and not a boring pancake."

and believe it or don't 2 of the three really is enough. (the top 2)

In your response Yoki you wrote: "But with a Homestead at a monthly tier of $125 USD per month, one would have to charge 9500 L per week in order to make an 18% profit." and your math is bang on.

That is the exact rate I charge for my Homestead sims.

Also, in spite of what you may think, Atlas Program members have to pay $125 per HS just like anyone else.

This is a case where the proof is in the pudding so to speak.

I take good care of my customers and they take care of me too.

If they come to me and ask for a Homestead I explain my rates.  If they say "oh I can get a Homestead for less" I agree with them, they certainly can - just not from me.  Unfortunately I don't have the ability to get Homesteads at the old tier rate so I have to charge enough to make a profit.

Do I have 100s of Homesteads rented at 9500L/wk? No, of course not.  I have 10 rented at that rate at this moment and I'm fine with that.

The Second Life land business is extremely competitive, but one thing is certain.  If the only way you can compete is on price you will lose.

Have fun, and good luck!

Lizard Howl

Segarra Estates Owner

Lizard Howl wrote:

Hi Yoki -

I'm tempted to chalk you up as a nay-sayer but since you are keeping the thread going and have asked me to respond, I will!

Darien wrote:"

3. Make your sims beautiful, and not a boring pancake."

and believe it or don't 2 of the three really is enough. (the top 2)

In your response Yoki you wrote: "But with a Homestead at a monthly tier of $125 USD per month, one would have to charge 9500 L per week in order to make an 18% profit." and your math is bang on.

That is the exact rate I charge for my Homestead sims.

Also, in spite of what you may think, Atlas Program members have to pay $125 per HS just like anyone else.

This is a case where the proof is in the pudding so to speak.

I take good care of my customers and they take care of me too.

If they come to me and ask for a Homestead I explain my rates.  If they say "oh I can get a Homestead for less" I agree with them, they certainly can - just not from me.  Unfortunately I don't have the ability to get Homesteads at the old tier rate so I have to charge enough to make a profit.

Do I have 100s of Homesteads rented at 9500L/wk? No, of course not.  I have 10 rented at that rate at this moment and I'm fine with that.

The Second Life land business is extremely competitive, but one thing is certain.  If the only way you can compete is on price you will lose.

Have fun, and good luck!

Lizard Howl

Segarra Estates Owner

I thank for your response, and appreciate it. If you can make a go at leasing out Homesteads at 9500 L per week, then more power to you. In checking out your other prices, you are quite competitive in the marketplace, with this one exception for Homesteads. There are scores of Homesteads currently available for lease at around 7500 L per week from your competitors.

As for Atlas program participants getting Homesteads at tier rates of 125 USD per month like anyone else, you might find that even within the Atlas program there are different levels of participation breaks. There is a large land baron, who ranks 5th overall, who has been leasing out new Homesteads for the last 5 months at leasing rates from 7 to 12% below cost, if the monthly tier on these new Homesteads is at the 125 USD per month level. Since the majority of her holdings are these new Homesteads, it seems she might go belly up soon. But according to Occam's razor, it is more than likely that she is paying the old grandfathered 95 USD monthly tier. Don't bother asking her though, because she seems very touchy when asked about this apparent suicidal pricing scheme, if her tiers really are 125 USD per month.

Imagine what LL would do if the 5 biggest Estate owners had ALL of their sims turned off. thats a huge chunk of the grid. Things will be changing in other areas of SL first, starting with the removal of 1.23 viewer code, and its slated around !@#$%  yeah right like I can disclose that info without getting in trouble. lol

Once a few other changes allow it, the current pricing will not be as bad as it was, though, how many people outside riches countries able to afford them? Simple they cant. SL is very, very discriminatory, and they admit that openly!

Hurana Ugajin wrote:

Imagine what LL would do if the 5 biggest Estate owners had ALL of their sims turned off. thats a huge chunk of the grid. Things will be changing in other areas of SL first, starting with the removal of 1.23 viewer code, and its slated around !@#$%  yeah right like I can disclose that info without getting in trouble. lol

Once a few other changes allow it, the current pricing will not be as bad as it was, though, how many people outside riches countries able to afford them? Simple they cant. SL is very, very discriminatory, and they admit that openly!

Apparently, the top 5 estate land owners control close to 17% of the estate grid. However, a high percentage of their holdings are Homesteads - i.e., they hold a higher percentage of Homesteads as opposed to the overall percentage, across the estate grid.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4909 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.