Question about Live Chat

Bryn Kira

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4953 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Please accept my apologies if this is not the correct blog in which to ask this question.  Previously premium Live Chat has been able to assist me when my avatar has been ghosted and they have managed to resolve the issue quickly.  Today, I was told they could not help with a ghosting problem and I had to submit a ticket and just wait for a response.  Has there been a change in what Live Chat can help with, or was I just fortunate in the past that the operator was helpful beyond what they are supposed to do?

6 answers to this question

No, you were fortunate in the past that the operator knew what you were talking about and knew how to fix it. If they don't they panic and tell you to make a ticket.

The fact is by the time your ticket is responded to weeks later you'll probably already be unstuck. Call again and tell them you have "stuck presence" preventing you from being able to log in. It is something they can usually fix reletively simply and quickly if they person actually has a clue.

fwiw the reason it keeps happening to you is an attachment you are wearing is taking too long to be logged out when you do. The result is your logout is stuck in a loop that either LL needs to halt or the region you are stuck in needs to restart. Once you get back in you might want to go through your attachments until you find the one causing the problem.

How to self fix the problem depends on your type of ghosting. There is the ghost of a previous login that prevents you logging in and there is the ghost where one is a particle ball.

Both problems have a number of solutions here. Search the SL blogum for 'can't login' and 'avatar won't rez' and similar terms.

I have a blog post on avatar won't rez.

• Like 1

Thanks Itazura!  I took your suggestion and contacted Live Chat again with the "stuck presence" reference and received back the cheery response that "yes, I can help with that".  Of course, I got a different Ontyne than I did earlier today.  Twenty minutes later, I was back in world.

I actually have not had to try to use Live Chat for a ghosting problem in a few months.  But, what I did find over the times I've used that feature to get me unghosted is that it's a good idea to state you have a ghosting problem in the initial request for Live Chat assistance.  I did find one time that the person who answered my chat was not in a position to get a sim restarted........she/he had to relay my request to someone else with that ability.  She/he is the one who suggested that I put that information in the request so that time would not be wasted by someone without the powers would answer the chat..........leaving it to someone who can help.  I don't know if a Linden is present at all the hours that Live Chat is available since the reduction in staffing but I bet there is at least one "on call" at all times.

Try your Live Chat request again.......state in the request that you are ghosted, where you are ghosted and what you've done so far to try to get unghosted.  You might have to wait a while for your request to answered but you should get someone who can help you.  LL does not like ghosted avatars on the sims...............probably because it's a needless load on the servers.

Your type of ghosting (actually logout fail)  is a problem known to Linden Lab. Wearing scripts (Mono?) can cause the logout process to hang. Then you cannot login.

HOWEVER, if you login to a different location, you can get back in and fix the problem. Not all these steps are necessary. So, open the viewer and do not login. In Preferences->General that is check box labeled Show on Logon in the Start Location section. Check it so you see it down by your login ID. This will let you type in or paste in destinations in the future.

Close your viewer. Visit SL Destinations and pick a place you know is not location you were in when you logged off. Click to go there. You will see the SLURL in the new window. Login. It may take 2 or 3 tries. Give it a couple of minutes between tries. You can visit the problem location and your visit will force your ghost back to the spirit world and claer the region so you can logon again.

Also, after the usual Tuesday restart, the problem should be gone.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4953 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.