Purchasing new laptop Lenovo G580 or ASUS X551CA

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all I'm looking to buy a new laptop. As the one i have has seen far better days. I would need a laptop as it's portable (i travel at times.) But i would still need it to be able to run second life. I wont need to have max settings, mid or low is absolutely fine. But i will need the laptop to handle not only everyday tasks and applications, but also be able to run second life as well.

The Asus laptop specs are:

Hard Drive Capacity:
500 GB
Processor Type:
Intel Celeron
Processor Speed:
1.5 MHz
Memory:
4 GB

And the lenovo's

Processor Type:
Intel Celeron
Processor Speed:
1.80GHz
Hard Drive Capacity:
1TB
Graphics Processing Type:
Intel HD Graphics
Memory:
6GB

Which of the two would be the better option to go ahead with if any? oppinions appreciated.

None of 'em.

Although the IBM Lenovo has slightly better specs both are totally underutilized for giving you a decent SL performance. Intel HD graphics are hardly able to render a video or a normal PC game. And a virtual world like SL is much more demanding than any game.

My advice: save more and wait a while before you get a new lappy. And buy one with a decent dedicated Nvidia or AMD graphics chip, don't settle for onboard graphics.

The CPU side isn't as important as the graphics but Intel Celeron chips are stone old, the lowest of the low, and shouldn't be sold anymore.

Simple fact: you can't get happy in SL by using a 300 € or $ lappy. Period.

Oh yes, the chromebok. Would be near perfect to use as another Linux machine, for testing stuff out. Dunno if I could get used to the weird keyboard layout but deffo worth a try. Well for now I'm happ yon big big chunky desktop for all the right reasons. :smileyhappy: But if aikawaiix »must have« a laptop she shouldn't go the highly experimental route but get a good laptop then. Plus Chrome and Linux OSes aren't for everybody. Most people prefer what they know, the Micro**bleep** Windoze. So no way around a real computer. LOL :smileyvery-happy:

I just looked up the ASUS: 259 $ from Amazon. Can't get any cheaper and worse than that. It's something stingy parents give their unwanted and unloved children for school.

And the Lenny 580 got a mixed verdict at Notebook Review: »Does the Lenovo G580′s solid specs make up for its shoddy build quality? Read the full review to find out.«

As mentioned before, both machines are the crappola.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.