I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION ABOUT SUBDIVIDING LAND

Hotrod Solo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4966 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Ok, My partner and I just bought a parcel big enough for our club and our personal residence. I have a feeling I should have done this before we put anything on the land, because I want to divide the land between the club and our home. Well last night my partner asked me,if I divided the land now with everything already on it, and I make one parcel to small to support the prims on it,will it start returning things? I hope I have made my question clear.

6 answers to this question

Just sub-dividing won't make things get returned, but changing what group or individual owns the parcel will.

First, turn auto-return off.

Then subdivide the parcel.

While both parcels have the same owner, or are owned by the same group, they continue to share prim count. At this point, check the allowed prims, and adjust as needed so each parcel either is large enough to support what it has on it, or has only as many prims as its size allows.

Once you are within the prim limits per-parcel, if you change the residential one to a different group, or to being personally owned while the club parcel is group owned, they each will observe their own prim limits.

Now, make sure that the prims on each parcel are set appropriately for the ownership of the parcel, or the group the parcel is set to, so auto-return won't start returning things if you turn it on. For example, if all the prims in the residential part are still set to 'Mike's Club', but the parcel is now set to the group 'our love nest', you need to change what group those prims are set to on the residential parcel.

Once you're sure the group settings are OK, you can turn auto-return back on.

It depends on who is the owner of the two parcels.

You can put in a single parecel as many prims as are admited in the total of your parcels in the same region.

Example: you have a parcel in a region that allow 228 prims and aother parcel in THE SAME region for 228 prims. You can put 456 prims in one of the two parcels if you are the owner of both parcels (or if a group is the owner and the objecst are setting to thatr group).

As the KB says (http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/How_objects_%28prims%29_on_land_are_calculated):

All parcels belonging to the same owner (or group) in the same Region share their object capacity- this is represented as Simulator primitive usage in the About Land window. In this way, it is possible for the Primitives on parcel number to be higher than the Primitives parcel supports number.
  • Like 1

Reply to Ceera.Murakami,Your answer was most helpful,but i have a question for your answer. In your answer you said"At this point,check the allowed prims,and adjust as needed so each parcel either is large enough to support what it has on it,or has only as many prims as its size allows". Has does one do this without being the sim owner or have estate mgr. rights? Please forgive my ignorance on this subject,I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed,as they say,and I still haven't figured out just who "they" are.

Stand on the parcel, and select "About Land", and go to the Objects tab. It will tell you how many prims are on the parcel, and how many prims the parcel supports, as well as the combined total allowed to all the parcels in that sim owned by that owner. That information is available to any parcel owner, and is even visible to visitors.

In the 1.2x viewers, About Land is a choice on the World menu. Not sure where they hid it in 2.x.

Thamk you Ceera,

Your answers have been most helpful. I feel we should have done all this before putting anything on the land,next time we'll know better. I have done all that you suggested,now one last question. My partner owns all land; prims, and groups. We divided the land into 4 different parcels. My question now that we have all that done is, can we now deed each parcel to a specific group that she owns without worring about things getting returned?  For example,we want 3 parcels to belong to one froup and the 1 single parcel to belong to another group.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4966 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.