Are computers at hacking risk when we are on SL?

bebejee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Tari Landar wrote:

jeffrey1 wrote:

are you a key logger

or just calling good people privater software user, as a form of abuse

is that how you get your kicks

I apologize in advance to Perrie, since this wasn't addressed to me....but I'm gonna reply anyway
:P

I am pretty darn sure he wasn't calling anyone anything, or accusing people of using pirated software(aka illegal viewers, according to the TOS). Instead, what he, and others, are saying, is that the use of such viewers can create problems such as this one out of harmless actions...like friending other people. Those types of viewers can cause all kinds of malicious things, though. The approved viewers, however, cannot and will not, allow something as innocent as a friend request to cause mayhem on your system. 

I am not certain why you believe accepting and sending friend requests is some type of dangerous act one should not engage in, because you believe it allows room for a potential hack. The truth is...it can't, unless you're using a viewer you should not be using in the first place.(which, again, I don't assume you, or anyone, is...unless of course someone says they are, lol).

There are just some actions within sl that offer up more potential for..we'll call it problems...than others, which is why avoiding viewers that are not approved is a  smarter move(and safer) than using ones which aren't. Friending people is one of the very last bits on that totem pole, because the functions needed to use it(to hack others) is damn near impossible with some of the more malicious and not approved viewers....and completely impossible with the approved ones.

I do think people need to have just a smidge more knowledge on how hacking occurs to begin with to truly understand why it's such an impossibility under every normal circumstance in this scenario. That's not to say you, or anyone else, is not intelligent..that would be rude and presumptuous of me..but, it is likely that not having this knowledge perpetuates myths and paranoia...in fact, it's guaranteed
;)

No need to apologize here.  I did make a simple statement of fact.  There are illegal viewers that people do try to use and suffer the consequences.  Occasionally they come crying to us in this Forum after they discover they've been burned or they cry about it in other Forums or Blogs.

But what we've all been addressing is the idea that while using a Legal Viewer that a hacker could somehow tie a keylogger to the friendship request.  Security exploits do happen.  This would have been one hell of an exploit.  Code has to be delivered to, installed and executed on your computer. 

Security exploits happen when Software allows access to higher level functions in a computer.  As Sassy pointed out, there are no LSL functions that allow this.  If one was discovered then LL would need to patch it fast.  That is after all why LL provides a Security JIRA.

Knowingly providing software (and possibly even unknowingly providing it) that opens someone to exploits could expose Linden Lab to a lot of liability.  As an example consider the Sony Rootkit Scandal.  Really, Sony got off very easy on that one.

If there ever was such an exploit, which in this case I still seriously doubt, by this time LL would have fixed it.  Otherwise we'd still be dealing with it on every turn. 

jeffrey1 wrote:

you can have downloaded to you from friendship offers

key logger and virus

i have had one kegger download to my computer and 3 virus Im know to linden labs

and and reported each account to them

have a nice day

And this is why I always cringe, when you wander into the answer section and spread your "help". Write at least complete sentences, if you want to be taken serious.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Tari Landar wrote:

jeffrey1 wrote:

are you a key logger

or just calling good people privater software user, as a form of abuse

is that how you get your kicks

I apologize in advance to Perrie, since this wasn't addressed to me....but I'm gonna reply anyway
:P

I am pretty darn sure he wasn't calling anyone anything, or accusing people of using pirated software(aka illegal viewers, according to the TOS). Instead, what he, and others, are saying, is that the use of such viewers can create problems such as this one out of harmless actions...like friending other people. Those types of viewers can cause all kinds of malicious things, though. The approved viewers, however, cannot and will not, allow something as innocent as a friend request to cause mayhem on your system. 

I am not certain why you believe accepting and sending friend requests is some type of dangerous act one should not engage in, because you believe it allows room for a potential hack. The truth is...it can't, unless you're using a viewer you should not be using in the first place.(which, again, I don't assume you, or anyone, is...unless of course someone says they are, lol).

There are just some actions within sl that offer up more potential for..we'll call it problems...than others, which is why avoiding viewers that are not approved is a  smarter move(and safer) than using ones which aren't. Friending people is one of the very last bits on that totem pole, because the functions needed to use it(to hack others) is damn near impossible with some of the more malicious and not approved viewers....and completely impossible with the approved ones.

I do think people need to have just a smidge more knowledge on how hacking occurs to begin with to truly understand why it's such an impossibility under every normal circumstance in this scenario. That's not to say you, or anyone else, is not intelligent..that would be rude and presumptuous of me..but, it is likely that not having this knowledge perpetuates myths and paranoia...in fact, it's guaranteed
;)

No need to apologize here.  I did make a simple statement of fact.  There are illegal viewers that people do try to use and suffer the consequences.  Occasionally they come crying to us in this Forum after they discover they've been burned or they cry about it in other Forums or Blogs.

But what we've all been addressing is the idea that while using a Legal Viewer that a hacker could somehow tie a keylogger to the friendship request.  Security exploits do happen.  This would have been one hell of an exploit.  Code has to be delivered to, installed and executed on your computer. 

Security exploits happen when Software allows access to higher level functions in a computer.  As Sassy pointed out, there are no LSL functions that allow this.  If one was discovered then LL would need to patch it fast.  That is after all why LL provides a Security JIRA.

Knowingly providing software (and possibly even unknowingly providing it) that opens someone to exploits could expose Linden Lab to a lot of liability.  As an example consider the 
  Really, Sony got off very easy on that one.

If there ever was such an exploit, which in this case I still seriously doubt, by this time LL would have fixed it.  Otherwise we'd still be dealing with it on every turn. 

And as I opined earlier (if we presume malice in the viewer, otherwise it's hard to believe someone would fall though a hole, report it, and have no action taken), it makes no sense to craft a viewer that requires a friendship request to initiate nefarious activity.

That would be like me sending teleport requests to my fireplace. The moment the victim arrived, they'd know I was the culprit in their attempted incineration. It would be so much better to torch them from behind. They'd never know it was me.

Only a fool would announce her identity in the middle of a crime.

;-).

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

That would be like me sending teleport requests to my fireplace. The moment the victim arrived, they'd know I was the culprit in their attempted incineration. It would be so much better to torch them from behind. They'd never know it was me.

;-).

How would you describe someone who announces her identity in advance of the crime?

Dillon Levenque wrote:

;-).

How would you describe someone who announces her identity
in advance
of the crime?

I have no words for that.

You wanna take a stab at it?

Dillon Levenque wrote:

;-).

in advance
of the crime?

Careful, Dillon. She's fishing for compliments, and unlike you, she'll keep a runt or even claim the bait was a catch.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

;-).

in advance
of the crime?

Cute, in a nefarious kinda way.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Snugs McMasters wrote:

Careful, Dillon. She's fishing for compliments, and unlike you, she'll keep a runt or even claim the bait was a catch.

Maybe I was fishing for bait, Snugs ;-).

They always talk about how the early bird catches the worm but no one looks at it from the worm's perspective.

jeffrey1 wrote:

you can have downloaded to you from friendship offers

key logger and virus

i have had one kegger download to my computer and 3 virus Im know to linden labs

and and reported each account to them

have a nice day

Nope, impossible. Friendship offers do not work that way, unless of course someone uses an unapproved viewer(which puts someone at risk for all kinds of bad things to happen).

I don't doubt you have those things on your system..but if you were using approved viewers, it is impossible for them to come from friendship offers.

I don't think you know how friendship offers actually work, or keyloggers, or even basic hacking, which in and of itself is not a bad thing. Not everone understands how it works, and that's perfectly ok. However, it would be wise to listen to folks who do know what they're talking about now and then, because ignorance(the true definition, not an insult) is only going to make you vulnerable to more problems in the future. He who does not learn from his mistakes is doomed to repeat them, right?

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

People can track you if you are wearing something they gave you designed to do that, or you let them map you.  Otherwise it is purely guesswork from something you said or they know where you usually hang or perhaps someone else telling them where you are.

I have one friend who I can reliably guess out where she is about half the time. Inclouding to places neigther of us has been to if they fit her general interests.

I suspect I could do this to one of my neighbors too because I have a good idea of what that person likes to get up to.

But do mind, when a person lands on the same sim as you it seems sudden - but it might have been the 37th sim they tried...

Lets pretend your big interest in SL was 'vampires that debate greek philosophy while sailing in blake sea on Tiny avatars. Lets pretend there are 5 groups and about 40 sims common to this community, and two 'cliques' that hate each other over random 'BFF drama.'

- If I'm from one of them, and you the other clique... it probably won't take me more than an hour to find you in SL on most days. If I'm not in this community at all, but you are - give it 2-3 hours.

A little basic psychology is the most powerful stalking / hacking tool. Its also very effective at avoiding the issue... :)

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

A little basic psychology is the most powerful stalking / hacking tool. Its also very effective at avoiding the issue...
:)

Absolutely!

Magicians and pychologists plow the same ground.

You left out Politicians, Lawyers and Snake Oil Vendors.

Or does that last one cover the first two?

markkemp wrote:

Well, the NSA is violating your computer privacy and probably caming you right now so.......

Of course they are...

Personally I regularly engage in the practice of flashing them. It keeps them on their toes and provides some...I am sure, much needed excitement, because they have the most boring job of all...ok maybe not THE, but boring all the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

first for the recorded you can be hack in game and a virus can be downloaded to you computer.

sim lagging is used to crash sims and to over heat user computers, this kind of attack Im not supporting and try to stop it.

there are lots of users that think like me that SL is a attack site, that support anermal sex and perverted sexs in game and the peaofiles that have contected me as the think im a kids as i can not use you words as well as you can, its unreal the racist attacks on me and all reported.

also a key logger, can be downloaded to you if you click on a link in game, that is being used by key logger to trap you.

its real easy to put your faith into people who have some kind of reason to protect the system and game and not have the facts come out into the open.

they with attack you as they do me for telling it how it is.

from friendship offers i have had virus downloaded to me about 3 times and have had a key logger downloaded, but micosoft anti virus appear to be on top of this and i think its the best option if you are running windows.

all what i say is recorded to the computer for all to see unless the so call surport teams block me for telling it how it is.

Sl is a international game that need internationsal law to be apply, to stop this lot lieing and puting users at risk.

please report what i say and tell other so more people can back up the call to bring lindens labs to book.

they hind behind there system that design to block people from telling you the residents what going on.

I have store on back up the text of pedofiles and racist wishing me a marry Xmas.

bet you can not think what was said in the messages.

but if you were to see them

I believe you would shut down SL.

thet are that bad and if I was a kid, they wood be so shocking I would finaly log of this game.

but with out telling people what was said, but remember, unless they clean out the hinded files the text is still on the computer.

and to finish, last but the most sick, they can download to you some how I do not know how it was done, but to my texures folder in game, I keep finding sicko pictures being downloaded to me and I was not awarn of how it was done, but keep deleteing the dirty pictures.

becare fully in game.

in my country people have been convicted of being pedofiles as they had sicko pictures of kids on there computer, and the people did not know how they had pick them up.

lucky for me I had formated my drive, but was attack in the street and the police took the option to check my computers, this is not as is normally done in the case of a street attack.

and reports of pedofile in the British police force are bad, so bad the goverment will not let the police investedgate the pedofile clams about goverment employee.

have a nice day

enjoy SL

but remember be safe, do not tell people about you real life information and that is also about your computer, it the back door to your computer by hackers

byee

You are paranoid to the extreme my friend. A lot of what you have discussed in this thread, is not even remotely possible...at least, not in the ways you suggest.  I honestly do not doubt for one second that you have had various issues, including perhaps being attacked. What I do doubt, is how it actually happened, because the way(s) you suggest the things happens, is impossible.

For example...THREE different times you had a keylogger downloaded from a friend request...THREE...that alone is baffling. But the fact that you honestly believe it was the friend request, and that it is possible for such a thing to happen, discredits most of what you had to say.  Because, my friend, due to the way friend requests work, it is IMPOSSIBLE(and I say that with utmost confidence, because I know what I am talking about here) for such a thing to happen. It is more likely, if you indeed had a keylogger downloaded to your system, that it happened either around the same time, or, when you assumed you had gotten rid of it before, you didn't actually. You clearly do not understand how friend requests work, and why it is impossible for a keylogger to be downloaded to your system, so I am not even going to bother continuing to address it.

I will say tho, you seem like one of those people who falls for absolutely everything.  Not a single good thing happens to you, just everything bad. All of those warnings they send out to people saying "this could be you too"...you're the person they happen to.  Despite the fact that you tell everyone else to be safe..you are, very clearly, not safe yourself, or you would NOT be this vulnerable to every attack known to man. I am sorry, but no one is that unlucky, no one. You are doing something terribly wrong.  The only good thing you have said, is that people need to be safe. That rings true anywhere and everywhere, on the 'net, and off the 'net. People need to not only be safe, but also smart.

You may want to drop the paranoid act, and start following your own advice. I cannot believe someone, who has encountered that much trouble in sl alone, would actually stick around...Which just lends to why I believe your credibility is all but shot.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.