Where is build?

Ren Float

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3511 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I posted a question yesterday about how to upload a WAV file less than 10 seconds long that uses 16 bit PCM sampled at 44.1k in order to use it in a gesture using the standard SL viewer. I am grateful for the answer, which was:

Build >>> Upload >>> Sound  and pay the L$10 

I realize now I neglected to mention that I am only 11 days old in SL, and I'm learning even the most basic things, such as: Where do I find "Build"?

Thank you for the heads up that I have to pay to upload.

7 answers to this question

Welcome to Second Life, Lvddawter!

When we use terminology like Build->Upload->Sound, the first element (in this case "Build") is either a menu (look at the top of the viewer, you'll see "Build" there) or an item in one of the menus that we presume you're already familiar with, like Preferences.

So, Build->Upload->Sound means to go to the Build menu, drag down to "Upload" and then drag down to "Sound".

There are several commonly used viewers, including the standard one provided by Linden Lab, which we call SL Viewer or SLV, and third party viewers like Firestorm, Singularity and others. There are subtle differences in the menu names and organization that can make it difficult to explain things.

The Preferences window is located in the "Me" menu in the SL Viewer, which is called the "Avatar" menu in Firestorm. For this reason, you may see us skip the actual menu and go straight to the menu item, as in...

Preferences->Graphics

In this case, we expect you already know where to find Preferences. The full path would be 

Me->Preferences->Graphics for the SL VIewer

and 

Avatar->Preferences->Graphics for Firestorm.

And once we get down into the lower depths of the user interface, everything goes to hell, with Firestorm providing controls that SLV doesn't have at all.

Don't worry if it's bewildering to you. I've been here more than six years and still get lost down in the depths and have to pull a flashlight and map out of my purse.

Good luck!

ETA: While you must pay to upload sounds, you can use the viewer's "Local Texture" facility to test textures on things you build before committing the L$10 to bring them in-world. The lovely and talented (I complement her to earn kudos, she compliments me so I'll leave her alone) Rolig Loon explains local textures here...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Rolig_Loon/Local_Textures

• Like 2

Hi

press control and F once you are log into the game

this open the SL search

type into it

Help at Caledon

Go there they will have classes that will help you and helper that can help to

or top of the page is the knowledge base

click the Tab and search that for what you need

hope that is of help

if you go to Caledon do the tutorial

and check out the free avatars

good luck

byee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3511 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.