SL does not work proporly

Sampl McConach

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello All, i have a problem.. every time i log into SL it either crashes, logs me out (by it's self) while loading or it does the same while i'm teleporting.

i get the message: Darn you are logged out blablablabla... or/and it wil open a box which says: apperently SL hase crashed blablablabla... i have done the welcome bay 6 times already and i'm getting pritty tired of it... also the one time i was able to teleport somewhere i fell thru the ground and kept on walking and seconds later... u guest it, it crashed..!

my computer

3.0Ghz AMD Dual Core

2 GB corsair

vista 32 bit

2x 512Mb ATi EAH3870

Can anyone help me?? thank u!!

6 answers to this question

Hello Sampl, try logging into Discovery Island, see Changing your login location Also see the links from What Next? at the top of this page.

Make sure your computer meets all of the Minimum System Requirements.  It's best to exceed them in order to prevent bottlenecks, since the  minimum system requirements are the minimum hardware required to run  Second Life at all.

If you're using wireless networking, you should try troubleshooting with  a direct wired connection; we allow, but do not support the use of  wirless network connections.

With what little real information about the error messages you gave it appears you are losing the connection to Linden Lab's servers.  I'm guessing because those "blah blah blah's" mean absolutely nothing.  The biggest hint is when you said you "fell through the ground" after TPing.   So here's a few things can commonly cause loss of connection to the servers.  Wireless connection to your network.  Your modem and router (if one is present in your network) need resetting.  Your firewall (and possibly your anti-virus) are blocking your connection.  And, of course, your connection speed may be too slow.

To fix the problem if you are on a wireless network get some Cat 5 Ethernet cable and hardwire your computer to your network.  To fix your problem if your modem/router needs resetting just unplug those devices from the electrical source and wait for 3 to 5 mins then plug them back in.......reboot your computer and try SL again.  If you firewall (or anti-virus) are blocking then you need to configure them to allow SL to connect to your computer and run (you'll need to check your software's documentation on how to do that.........you can check to see if that's the problem by temporarily disabling them and try SL).  The connection speed is dependant on your ISP.  You need at least about 750 kbps for a stable connection.......more is better, of course.  Check your ISP for what you are paying for then compare what you are actually getting by doing some tests at a couple speed test sites.  I use http://www.speedtest.net/ and http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/.  Do at least one test on each site to San Francisco, CA and Dallas, TX............and even Phoenix, AZ (those are the areas that LL's servers are housed for SL).  You should be getting something in the neighborhood of 75% of what the ISP tells you you should be getting (you probably will never get what any ISP tells you but it should be close).  You're more interested in the download speed.........the upload is really relatively unimportant unless it's really slow (like a dial-up).

If none of this works then let us know.  This time don't give the "blah blah blah" stuff.  You may not think it's important but it is.  Without good descriptions of the problem, including any error messages most suggestions given will be nothing more than a wild guess.  You're computer specs look decent enough to run SL.

These apply if your using version 1 of the viewer (other version 1 based viewers) or Emerald

In this order. Try the connection again after each step.................

Check the grid status for the time involved

http://status.secondlifegrid.net/

Make sure your Ethernet adapted driver is up to date.

For wired connections for modems only: Disconnect all wires concerning your connection, wait 30 seconds then plug them back in again, including the modem and transformer. Wires should snugly fit into ports. These instructions do not apply to routers.

For wireless connections and routers: Reset your system clock. see "help and support" in Windows for directions. If a router with a firewall is being used it maybe unplugged provided you have the skills to reconfigure the firewall if it contains one.

With third party viewers open the statistics bar (view > statistics bar) and the network preferences (edit > preferences > network > maximum bandwidth slider) TP to a SIM while the SIM is rezzing set the bandwidth slide bar for the  maximum kbps you can achieve in the statistics bar. This location should be near the maximum speed of your ISP service. This does not apply to the SL viewer 2

You can check your connection speed here:

http://www.speedtest.net/

If your looses connectivity contact your ISP and complain. Expect a broken connection when connected to the Internet.  SL should run continuously, SL is streaming.

Dear All, Thank u VERY VERY much for helping me with this problem... it was indeed my internet connection. my computer is part of an router home network (hardline) and so SL did not have a continuous conecction.. to bad.. that means every time i want to go into SL i have to dis connect myself from the network ( and the others from internet) so i can plug the direct internet connection onto my system..

but all well...

Thank u ALL!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.