I deleted My local chat somehow....and i want it back.

LeviathanVerloren

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

If it's your chat window that's missing, not your chat logs, then first go to the Comm menu and make sure Conversations is checked.  If your viewer has a separate item for Nearby Chat, make sure it is checked, too.

Then see if the Nearby Chat window is simply docked to the Conversations window as a tab.  You can undock it by clicking the little pages icon in the upper right of the window.

If none of that finds the chat window, see this link for how to manually re-set its size and position: http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/missing_windows

• Like 2

Hi Leviathan,

If you deleted your chat logs via Preferences (I think both local and IM logs are deleted), I don't think you can get them back, unless you've got your computer configured for automatic backups. In that case, restore to a time prior to when you deleted the chat logs.

If the logs went missing without any action on your part, one of the viewer's settings file may have been corrupted. In Preferences->Network & Cache, there's a place to specify the chat log folder. I'm not sure ihow the viewer knows if that's been changed, but if the "Reset" button is enabled, you might click that. That should return the viewer to using the default chat log folder location. You can also click "Open" to open the chat log folder (try that before you "Reset"). Local chat is stored in "chat.txt" and maybe that file's been corrupted, but is still readable by an external editor.

If none of that works, follow the instructions for a clean install of the viewer, paying particular attention to the note regarding preservation of chat logs. You'll find the instructions here...

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life/ta-p/1375231

Good luck!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.