Copying WindLight settings from one viewer to another

Starchild Magic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I use the older LL viewer for working/playing/etc on SL, but for taking pictures, I like Emerald because it has lots and lots of WindLight presets. On a Mac, is there any way to transfer those presets from Emerald to the LL client so I don't have to switch back and forth?

I'd use Emerald full-time, but my machine has to work a lot harder with it, and rezzing time is faster with the LL viewer.

5 answers to this question

You should be able to copy the Windlight folder form the Emerald installation to the LL one. I only have windows and for that you would go to c:\program files\emerald viewer\app_settings and then copy the whole of the 'windlight' folder to c:\program files\second life\app_settings and replace the existing windlight folder. Not quite sure how those folder paths translate to Mac though.

Incidentally, I assume you are aware of the 'Emeraldgate' drama? If not you might want to read this:

http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2010/08/emerald-third-party-viewer-removed.html

and listen to the audio linked here:

http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2010/08/emerald-on-treet-tv.html

I'm not saying you should not use Emerald, but you might want to consider the evidence and make a choice about whether you want to continue using Emerald at present. I'd avoid the forum drama over it and come to your own conclusions based on the facts :-)

Oh yeah, I'm well aware of the mess surrounding Emerald right now. That's part of why I'm trying to copy those settings to the LL viewer. Can hardly have issues if I stick with software put out by Linden Labs!

Thanks for the help, I just had no idea what the process would be. I'll poke around in my program files and see if I can find that folder.

For the record, in case anyone else ever wants to know, I found the folder of presets.

In Applications folder, find the Emerald icon. Ctrl-click and choose Show Package Contents.

The path is Contents...Resources...app_settings...windlight

This contains the folders of sky and water presets.

In the Days folder is where you can change the day cycles and sky settings for different times of the day. Torley Linden has a video tutorial on how to do that, but I don't have the link for it just now. I'll try to find it and post it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.