I got Linden dollars from someone and I don't know why. What do I do?

June Finistair

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4937 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

The person was giving a tip to someone else so I don't know if it was a mistake or was a legit gift. If this is a dumb question I'm sorry , I'm new (been on for a little more than a week) and it just doesn't make sense. I didn't do anything to get it, I didn't win a contest either. Help!!

10 answers to this question

I'd simply ask the giver if they meant to give that to you. If they did, wonderful and thank them for it. If not, then just return it with a gracious smile.

If you have to offline ask or they don't respond after 24 hours, consider it a boon, thank them, by IM and go buy yourself something nice with it.

• Like 1

If you're concerned about taking cash that doesn't belong to you (even though it was in error - some people would say take it and run, but some would say it would be nice if you gave it back) you can look back in your Transaction History (it's in the dropdown menu when you login at secondlife.com) and see who it was who gave you the money.  Send them a notecard inworld explaining the situation and see if they want their money back.  If they don't bother getting back, you can return it or keep it - it's up to you.  

Jennifur Vultee wrote:

As I see it you have three options:

A. Do the happy dance and go on a shopping spree.

B. IM them and ask, "WTF? You game me money?"

C. Return the money assumming it was a mistake.

D. Ask what you should do in the forums.

E. All of the above.

Which of those are the 3 options?

*grin

That happens a lot actually, especially in clubs when you are standing near a tip jar or staff member, people click and pay without being sure.  Best option is to simply click the person and pay them back what you received.  If they meant to give it to you, they will let you know. But seriously, who gives lindens away for no reason, and if they are can you im me heir name, I'll go visit them...hehehe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4937 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.