Giant butts have invaded SL.

Etalia Cristole

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1685 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What I heard from OP:

- I'm one of those people who cringes at any sign of breasts, butts or dicks. I play SL with a flat-chested flat-butted girl and anyone who tries to have any curves in SL is "disgusting"

- SL avatar should look exactly like your RL one. You are retarded if you try to modify your RL look.

- All creators now are stupid, 2006 creators with the prim-and-flexi hairs and sweaters that look like they were painted on are the best. Freebie island ftw

- My computer sucks and can't handle 3D realism in clothing, therefore mesh must suck

- I quit buying stuff, I hope this serves as a huge threat to creators to actively abandon 2014 technology and create more stuff that looks like they were made in 2006

- Bla bla bla

Yeah no one cares if you don't buy mesh. SL should have introduced mesh a LONG time ago as it was already way behind current technology, and mesh is gradually replacing all signs of those prim/sculpty/flexi/clothing layer crap, and I for one am glad it's this way. Go to freebie island or something and indulge yourself in people who lag behind in 2006 looks. Kthnxbai.

Funny I actually think "standard mesh" sucks too  but for a different reason. Whose idea was it that XXS and L have the same butt/boob size, the only area that it increases is the stomach? Like wtf? The only size that has a flat stomach is XXS, yet if you wanna have any chest size bigger than 20 you're gonna have a problem. So basically it's impossible to wear standard mesh if your avatar is skinny but with a moderate chest/butt size.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Etalia Cristole wrote:

Who came up with these standard mesh sizes?  XXS is NOT XXS.  I guess the majority of this world is now overly fat and so apparently we all have to be in the virtual world too.  My AV is 5'7" tall and 118 lbs according to a body scanner in a high end developers store; that's not an abnormal size, in fact it's 6 lbs under ideal weight for that height by Dep of Health standards.

Your avatar's height is actually 6'-2", as your scanner told you - the "agent height" is the size of the bounding box which stops at about eye level. 6'-2" and 118 pounds is anorexic. Your bottom is "normal size"? Seriously? Have you ever even SEEN a woman's bottom?

Actually that prim height thing is just totally freaking made up.

I should know, my script was the first one to use those two phrases side by side. Agent and Prim. Others have since written their own improvements. I pulled my script some time back.

The prim height was based on as you noted - the difference between the eyes and the top of the head.

BUT that was based on MY AVATAR back in 2009. I did some math and found a formula to find the portion above my eyes - after sizing a prim next to myself...

Someone else did have this formula before me though - but did not use the phrasing of agent and prim; which is how I spot scripts influenced by mine or by ones that were themselves influenced by mine...

(the person before me just spat out their post formula total.)

My flaw was that I at the time did not know that the part above the eyes is based on a number of dials in the head section - and you can keep your agent height constant and make yourself "taller or shorter" by just messing with egghead or forhead or etc...

- When I realized that I stopped calling my script accurate, and eventually just pulled it.

(I think I pulled it... hopefully its not around on my land somewhere other than private).

There is only one way to know your height in SL:

take a prim and put it in the same spot as yourself while posed in a T-Pose: back straight and feet together while flat. Put the bottom of the prim at the base of your feet. Choose the stretch option but uncheck the 'stretch both sides' option so that only one side stretches at a time. Stretch the top up until it hits the top of your head when not wearing hair...

- read the z-size of that prim. That's your height. Google converting it to feet if American.

OH AND: I looked at the OP's pic... that's one serious flat behind. Even most men I know don't have behinds that flat...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Some people have big bums in RL too you know (I, for example, have a 26inch waist and 43inch hips so go figure). Generally I like the diversity. If someone wants to have a bum like the continental shelf then it really is no concern of mine what they wish to do with their avatar. If it makes them happy then excellent, keep rocking the big butt. If you like flat bums and no chest then good for you, but don't hate on the girls who are rocking their curves.:matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
On 9/4/2014 at 4:07 AM, Etalia Cristole said:

The REAL issue is LL should have updated the standard AV model years ago.  I don't see how making the edges of your AV more rounded could break anything.  Adding extra polygons to the standard AV which was created over 10 years ago would NOT break any existing clothing.  Mesh bodies are a workaround, not a solution to the problem; they just go over your standard body, it's like putting a band-aid on a wound.  Why over 10 years later have we not seen one update to the core SL standard body wire frame?

what is the new issue, 5 years later... is Mesh body still a band-aid?

2 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

what is the new issue, 5 years later... is Mesh body still a band-aid?

Im glad, the band aid turned into a full body plastic surgery for the avatar. There is no better way than having the development being propelled by supply and demand.
Combined with LindenLabs technologies like materials or ALM, a lot of user created mesh clothes/attachments look very real these days.

2 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Im glad, the band aid turned into a full body plastic surgery for the avatar. There is no better way than having the development being propelled by supply and demand.
Combined with LindenLabs technologies like materials or ALM, a lot of user created mesh clothes/attachments look very real these days.

And are the number one reason for poor performance across the entire grid.

The market doesn't care about well made content, it only cares about content that sells.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

And are the number one reason for poor performance across the entire grid.

The market doesn't care about well made content, it only cares about content that sells.

Thats also up to the customer, not only to the creator. Demos also can be used to know before, how well built a mesh item is.
Its not only me who tries to look as good as possible while heading for a renderweight as low as possible. Mostly i am between 50K and 70K. No, not naked at all. Mesh Body, head, hairs, eyes, ears, teeth, tongue, top, jacket, pants, shoes, necklace, wrist watch, anklet, navel piercing, earrings.

Edited by Resi Pfeffer
typo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Thats not completely true.
Its not only me who tries to look as good as possible while heading for a renderweight as low as possible. Mostly i am between 50K and 70K. No, not naked at all. Mesh Body, head, hairs, eyes, ears, teeth, tongue, top, jacket, pants, shoes, necklace, wrist watch, anklet, navel piercing, earrings.

It would be a great thing if render weight wasn't so easy to exploit by creators.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

It would be a great thing if render weight wasn't so easy to exploit by creators.

But thats the one and only indicator a normal user like me is able to read and to understand. Or can i do something else to identify a lag monster besides a heavy script load?

2 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

But thats the one and only indicator a normal user like me is able to read and to understand. Or can i do something else to identify a lag monster besides a heavy script load?

Firestorm now has more detailed inspect tools with texture memory usage, polygon count as well as detail level preview but yeah it's not so great for the average user until we get something that can't be exploited so easily.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2019 at 8:04 AM, Resi Pfeffer said:

Thats also up to the customer, not only to the creator. Demos also can be used to know before, how well built a mesh item is.

Not when you ave people entering who have no idea about all this... and there is nothing really to alert new users to these issues, or letting them know if the item is well built.... You maybe speak as your experiences are across the board but in fact, most are clueless to render weight.  And what I find really brings up the RW is not mesh at all but old prim jewelry and accessories or hair...

12 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

And what I find really brings up the RW is not mesh at all but old prim jewelry and accessories or hair...

Thanks for reminding me. Have to see how much that old "heart of the ocean" necklace weighs. :) As much as i know its completely made out of regular prims. And there is a lot of them.

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2014 at 2:20 AM, Etalia Cristole said:

Who came up with these standard mesh sizes?  XXS is NOT XXS.  I guess the majority of this world is now overly fat and so apparently we all have to be in the virtual world too.  My AV is 5'7" tall and 118 lbs according to a body scanner in a high end developers store; that's not an abnormal size, in fact it's 6 lbs under ideal weight for that height by Dep of Health standards.  Apparently though in second life it's even smaller than XXS mesh as every single piece I try makes my ass look huge.  I adjust sliders but it doesn't matter, mesh clothing is made for fat asses.

There has always been an issue in SL with the average height of people being 8+ feet tall [most people have no idea they are unnaturally tall in SL, as it's the norm and I blame LL for not putting a hight in numbers on the slider], but this new giant ass trend is terrible.  Every piece of mesh clothing is made for giant asses and disgustingly large breasts.  I'm sorry if I don't find stretchmark ridden giant balls of flabby fat on my chest and ass attractive, but if you want my $L it's time to start developing clothes for non-fatass avatars.  

Snapshot_016.jpg

So disgusted.  I am done shopping in SL, I will keep my money thanks.  I leave second life for a year and come back to empty sims, great clubs all shut down, most AAA devs all gone, items with script errors that now don't get updated because most of the great devs have left, and all of my LM's to once packed sims no longer work.  The virtual world now feels like the final days of an MMO game.  All the money spent, time put in to make a perfectly proportional avatar, and these mesh abominations are what we get for "standard" sizes?  Keep your mesh clothes, I will keep my normal sized (jagged) ass which LL should have fixed years ago before people gave up waiting and jumped ship.  

Full mesh bodies are even more of a joke, with their giant asses and flawed implementation [Qarl's mesh deformer project ignored instead they use some garbage system of "standard" sizes].  I understand how mesh works and why regular clothes don't play nice, but why am I going to spend the outrageous kind of money these mesh clothing devs are asking to re-buy all of my outfits when non-backwards compatible SL 2.0 is six months from beta and about a year away from release?  To make my ass huge?  No thanks, mesh hands/feet added to normal/prim clothing is good enough until SL 2.0 comes out.  

I have such a love hate relationship with SL, and the love is waning like the world itself.  What happened to you Second Life?  2007 Was my first AV and in 2009 I made this one; I have seen the virtual world peak in 2009-2010 and then start crashing down.  I had a prem membership for years to try and support LL with development costs.  With all the amazing things that have been added, it still feels like a patchwork mess.  I hope LL learned their lesson and SL 2.0 fixes these issues.  Not holding my breath.

Now all i see these days personally is Obese women avatar's with ant sized hands that can't even hold a pencil. I personally hate it and try to make my avatar with fantasy portions. And i don't mean big everything. I mean anatomically portioned sexiness.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

tbf people of hispanic and/or african descent do have bigger bums than indo/europeans generally. So in this sense if you got it then embrace it

I think they mean the extreme big bums, not ones you mentioned.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1685 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.