Giant butts have invaded SL.

Etalia Cristole

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Who came up with these standard mesh sizes?  XXS is NOT XXS.  I guess the majority of this world is now overly fat and so apparently we all have to be in the virtual world too.  My AV is 5'7" tall and 118 lbs according to a body scanner in a high end developers store; that's not an abnormal size, in fact it's 6 lbs under ideal weight for that height by Dep of Health standards.  Apparently though in second life it's even smaller than XXS mesh as every single piece I try makes my ass look huge.  I adjust sliders but it doesn't matter, mesh clothing is made for fat asses.

There has always been an issue in SL with the average height of people being 8+ feet tall [most people have no idea they are unnaturally tall in SL, as it's the norm and I blame LL for not putting a hight in numbers on the slider], but this new giant ass trend is terrible.  Every piece of mesh clothing is made for giant asses and disgustingly large breasts.  I'm sorry if I don't find stretchmark ridden giant balls of flabby fat on my chest and ass attractive, but if you want my $L it's time to start developing clothes for non-fatass avatars.  

Snapshot_016.jpg

So disgusted.  I am done shopping in SL, I will keep my money thanks.  I leave second life for a year and come back to empty sims, great clubs all shut down, most AAA devs all gone, items with script errors that now don't get updated because most of the great devs have left, and all of my LM's to once packed sims no longer work.  The virtual world now feels like the final days of an MMO game.  All the money spent, time put in to make a perfectly proportional avatar, and these mesh abominations are what we get for "standard" sizes?  Keep your mesh clothes, I will keep my normal sized (jagged) ass which LL should have fixed years ago before people gave up waiting and jumped ship.  

Full mesh bodies are even more of a joke, with their giant asses and flawed implementation [Qarl's mesh deformer project ignored instead they use some garbage system of "standard" sizes].  I understand how mesh works and why regular clothes don't play nice, but why am I going to spend the outrageous kind of money these mesh clothing devs are asking to re-buy all of my outfits when non-backwards compatible SL 2.0 is six months from beta and about a year away from release?  To make my ass huge?  No thanks, mesh hands/feet added to normal/prim clothing is good enough until SL 2.0 comes out.  

I have such a love hate relationship with SL, and the love is waning like the world itself.  What happened to you Second Life?  2007 Was my first AV and in 2009 I made this one; I have seen the virtual world peak in 2009-2010 and then start crashing down.  I had a prem membership for years to try and support LL with development costs.  With all the amazing things that have been added, it still feels like a patchwork mess.  I hope LL learned their lesson and SL 2.0 fixes these issues.  Not holding my breath.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I understand your frustration.  I have the same problem with some designers.  The thing is that even with standard sizes an xxs size will be slightly different from one designer to the next.  That is why I try on demos before I buy.  If no demo is offered, I don't buy.  If something doesn't fit your avatar right, try another designers.  There are some out there that will fit your avatar, as I have found some that fit mine.

As far as SL in general, in the eight years I've been here, it's always changed with clubs and sims coming and going.   People are fickle, trends come and go, people go someplace or look a certain way only so long and then move on to the next big thing. Unfortunately the big thing now is big breasts and butts.  That doesn't mean you have to have them.  There are plenty of people that don't like them.  There are also plenty that don't like mesh for a variety of reasons and still wear system clothing.

This has nothing to do with the death of SL, which actually has been stable for a while now,  or even the new grid, which is still at least a few years away.  Even when the new grid is open, SL will not be closed unless it becomes unprofitable, which has always been the case.  I guarantee you that when the new grid is up and running places there will come and go as well as fashion and trends.

• Like 1

Hi, really wonder why people buy mesh pants and shirts. Whats the benefit above system clothes, well its little to nothing, i think.

The Problem you have is the general problem with mesh. I weighted a dress to the top part and all was perfect until i tested on another avatar who has the buyoancy set to plastic surgery = 0.

This fitted mesh will never fit all you can do is search a desginer that has your avatar as a model ...

Monti

• Like 1

The REAL issue is LL should have updated the standard AV model years ago.  I don't see how making the edges of your AV more rounded could break anything.  Adding extra polygons to the standard AV which was created over 10 years ago would NOT break any existing clothing.  Mesh bodies are a workaround, not a solution to the problem; they just go over your standard body, it's like putting a band-aid on a wound.  Why over 10 years later have we not seen one update to the core SL standard body wire frame?

Etalia Cristole wrote:

Who came up with these standard mesh sizes?  XXS is NOT XXS.  I guess the majority of this world is now overly fat and so apparently we all have to be in the virtual world too.  My AV is 5'7" tall and 118 lbs according to a body scanner in a high end developers store; that's not an abnormal size, in fact it's 6 lbs under ideal weight for that height by Dep of Health standards.  Apparently though in second life it's even smaller than XXS mesh as every single piece I try makes my ass look huge.  I adjust sliders but it doesn't matter, mesh clothing is made for fat asses.

There has always been an issue in SL with the average height of people being 8+ feet tall [most people have no idea they are unnaturally tall in SL, as it's the norm and I blame LL for not putting a hight in numbers on the slider], but this new giant ass trend is terrible.  Every piece of mesh clothing is made for giant asses and disgustingly large breasts.  I'm sorry if I don't find stretchmark ridden giant balls of flabby fat on my chest and ass attractive, but if you want my $L it's time to start developing clothes for non-fatass avatars.  

Snapshot_016.jpg

So disgusted.  I am done shopping in SL, I will keep my money thanks.  I leave second life for a year and come back to empty sims, great clubs all shut down, most AAA devs all gone, items with script errors that now don't get updated because most of the great devs have left, and all of my LM's to once packed sims no longer work.  The virtual world now feels like the final days of an MMO game.  All the money spent, time put in to make a perfectly proportional avatar, and these mesh abominations are what we get for "standard" sizes?  Keep your mesh clothes, I will keep my normal sized (jagged) ass which LL should have fixed years ago before people gave up waiting and jumped ship.  

Full mesh bodies are even more of a joke, with their giant asses and flawed implementation [Qarl's mesh deformer project ignored instead they use some garbage system of "standard" sizes].  I understand how mesh works and why regular clothes don't play nice, but why am I going to spend the outrageous kind of money these mesh clothing devs are asking to re-buy all of my outfits when non-backwards compatible SL 2.0 is six months from beta and about a year away from release?  To make my ass huge?  No thanks, mesh hands/feet added to normal/prim clothing is good enough until SL 2.0 comes out.  

I have such a love hate relationship with SL, and the love is waning like the world itself.  What happened to you Second Life?  2007 Was my first AV and in 2009 I made this one; I have seen the virtual world peak in 2009-2010 and then start crashing down.  I had a prem membership for years to try and support LL with development costs.  With all the amazing things that have been added, it still feels like a patchwork mess.  I hope LL learned their lesson and SL 2.0 fixes these issues.  Not holding my breath.

Your avatar's height is actually 6'-2", as your scanner told you - the "agent height" is the size of the bounding box which stops at about eye level. 6'-2" and 118 pounds is anorexic. Your bottom is "normal size"? Seriously? Have you ever even SEEN a woman's bottom?

• Like 1

News Flash: Standard Sizing isn't standard, nor is it official. It was put together by residents of Second Life just like you. If you don't like it, you're welcome to set your own standard and see if creators want to use that instead. That's kinda the thing with SL, you can do things any way you like (even if they're wildly inaccurate or wasteful).

It surprises me that people take the SL calculated 'weight' seriously on any level. All avatars have a static mass based on the fixed bounding box. Anything else would have to be derived in some way that couldn't possibly hold any water.

Most importantly though: 460 scripts @ 18Mb? The hell are you wearing? By script weight you're the heaviest around - you're using the equivilent memory of 1/40th of an entire, fully-loaded region (1,638.4m^2 land/prims + 2.5 avatars). Sure hope you don't go out in public like that!

I totally get trying to reach realistic and reasonable proportions in aesthetics, but you're clearly failing pretty hard at the practical application of sensible scaling - resource usage.

• Like 3

Etalia Cristole wrote:

Snapshot_016.jpg

Those "scales" are a hoot. They are giving you a weight based on? Seeing as your avatar has no body fat that i can see, yes you have a tiny butt. You don't have any curvature to your butt at all. Looking at the picture you posted i would say if you stood straight and tall your butt would be fairly flat.

Don't buy mesh clothing unless you try the demo. Don't like the fit, don't buy it.

People have complained about mesh clothing since the day it came out. "why are the boobs so small?" "why are the boobs so big?" "why doesn't it fit ME?" "why why why"

Have you tried a fitted mesh pair? And before you complain about them, yes, you most likely will need an alpha layer s well. Even for fitted mesh. There is no such thing as one size fits all, even in RL.

• Like 1

Monti Messmer wrote:

Hi, really wonder why people buy mesh pants and shirts. Whats the benefit above system clothes, well its little to nothing, i think.

Little? System pants go deep into your butt crack, giving bruises, itchy, uncomfortable, not realistic looking. Same goes for system tops for women; system top will sink into the cleavage making it very unrealistic.

Real life pants and tops do not do that, neither do mesh clothes in SL. A big bonus for mesh. :matte-motes-asleep-2:

Etalia Cristole wrote:

... but this new giant ass trend is terrible.

This reminds me of a place: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bay%20City%20-%20Sconset/46/219/25

I wonder what on earth is going on there? :smileysurprised:

Bay City - Sconset.jpg

At first visit I thought it was some one time occasion/competition, competing on:

• Who can make the tallest avatar

• Who can make the biggest butt

• Who can make the biggest boobs

• Who can make the most disproportionate avatar

But no, not a one time occasion! I have checked that place a few times again.

Same thing has been going on every single time.

Hmm...  :matte-motes-oh-rly: :smileyvery-happy:

Coby Foden wrote:

Etalia Cristole wrote:

This reminds me of a place:

Bay City - Sconset.jpg

At first visit I thought it was some one time occasion/competition, competing on:

If my own real derriere is indicative of a larger trend, simply joining SL causes unwanted caboose expansion in RL. It took more effort than I wanted to expend to remedy the sit-uation.

Ooof.

• Haha 2

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Etalia Cristole wrote:

Bay City - Sconset.jpg

If my own real derriere is indicative of a larger trend, simply joining SL causes unwanted caboose expansion in RL. It took more effort than I wanted to expend to remedy the sit-uation.

Ooof.

Reminds me of my old typing pool days where we went through a phase of bottom clenching ten times on the hour every hour.

Coby Foden wrote:

Etalia Cristole wrote:

Bay City - Sconset.jpg

the first one is quite nice.

Etalia Cristole wrote:

Snapshot_016.jpg

First of all let me say, good lord feed your ava some meat woman D: She's starving to death! You're worried about your ava's butt being too big when you should be worried about breaking a tailbone when you sit down because there's no cushioning there!  

Even if your ava was 5'7, when you're fluctuating around the lower end of your ideal weight, losing 6lbs is going to be noticable and you're going to be looking twiggy. However, since your ava is really 6'2, and her ideal weight should be somewhere closer to 150lbs, 117 is downright anorexic.

I've never even wondered what my ava might weigh, now I'd really like to know what store has this scanner so I can check lol 

Weight Index.png

edited cause I don't make no sense sometimes 

Marigold Devin wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Ooof.

Reminds me of my old typing pool days where we went through a phase of bottom clenching ten times on the hour every hour.

I've never heard it called "bottom clenching" before. And at once per hour, how did you get any work done?

mew mew ma mewpers pew :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

All the mesh i  buy i can get to fit very good. But i do adjust the key points to make it work. The trick is to always use a demo and make sure its built right. I suspect if you are smaller then XXS then you need to go eat some cheesburgers quickly haha.

I even was given some cherry bombs and i can make them work, and thats no easy task.

I am super **bleep** about the mesh i buy, i look at everyhthign from every angle and closely inspect the alpha, and if i even need it. One flaw and your outta here.  I pretty well know who makes good mesh and who makes crap, i mean low quality.

The reason i love mesh more then clothing layer is the details, the textures, so much nicer.  I have actual buttons, zippers, lace string, etc. I dont by mesh thats just a texture, that was lifted from the clothing layers and slapped on a cone, oh no hahah.

as i remember Ruth had a hip length of 64 and a butt size of 16 or 17 or about. Scrawny little wee thing. like a seagull pretending to be a chicken

since then avatars same like people in the RL been eating lots apparently. dunno how that works exactly. Just seems like. And apparently getting in lots of physical activities. Dunno what kind of physicals tho. Is just what I heard

so is not surprising that pixel people are getting bigger, like more healthy bc exercise and that

Fatter even in some cases. I wouldnt say porky tho bc would not be nice to say that. Not nice like same is not nice to refer to someone as a scrawny seagull. Even when they are. You just dont say those kinda things. Is not polite (:

That's actually me in that first pic, so I appreciate the kind remark. I thought I heard someone snapping pics(they came out nicely!) Personally, I don't think my butt is all that big. Again as I always say on here: what looks good to some people, looks terrible to others. It's time for us as adults to accept that. I'm not offended, I'm flattered that I'm someone's example of something.

I also wanted to add I think it's silly people are breaking out bmi charts for second life or using charts period to make an avatar. It cracks me up when people refer to charts to

• Like 3

I posted the chart lol, and also said your avi looked good ><  I've never used a chart or scale to make my shapes either, and never thought about how much my avi might weigh, eyeballing it has always worked for me. I looked at a chart this time only because she said her ava weighs about the same as I do in rl, but is over a foot taller o_O made me curious. 

I didn't mean to offend you with the chart thing, it really wasn't aimed at you. I know some people do use a chart when they make their shape though and it makes them feel like their opinion carries more weigh somehow. I posted from my phone last night and half the post got cut off while I was typing it. It really wasn't a big deal for me to even go back and retype it.

I just think it's funny that the peanut gallery is still complaining about mesh and mesh parts and the newer skins. They're here to stay, posting pics of people they think look funny or strange isn't going to change that. Mainly this is about body image and different people have opinions about what that is. So I'll stop with this thought a skin maker told me a lot time ago about SL: People don't really want realistic because it's boring.

Just something to think about.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.