Question Regarding Vehicles

ArtieMacnar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3519 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I bought this really nice motorcyle on the marketplace. It's really cool too, and frankly I thought it was a good price for the item. Works fine too... But the issue here isn't about the vehicle itself, it's about a glitch I encountered when traveling through some locations. Apparently I must of entered another sim or something while I was riding the vehicle down the road and all of the sudden my avatar and the vehicle went flying over a whole bunch of space, and then my avatar was sent flying alone without the cycle for a while before I was returned to the original spot where I first got sent flying... But the motorcycle didn't respawn with me and I couldn't move properly without closing out the viewer and coming back on again.

Look, I understand that sharks shouldn't drive motorcycles or something like that, but my conern here is that 1) since the vehicle went flying, it could have the possibility of being left in the sim or not, 2) I wonder if my computer and viewer are running properly since I should have hade some smooth transitions between the parcels. I just hope I won't get into trouble because there's a vehicle left in the area causing a lot of lag.

This is both funny yet at the same time a bit worrying for me...

I'm surprised this hasn't been answered; everyone must be busy. First, google "sim crossings in Second Life". Just the list of entries will give you an idea of the scope of the problem.

Anytime you cross from one sim to another in Second Life, your information has to be transferred from one database to another. 'Sim' stands for simulator and a simulator is a program running on a computer. Quite often when you cross a 'sim boundary' you information not only has to move to another application but another server altogether. As fast as computers are, they aren't fast enough to handle that data transfer gracefully when you are zooming down the road with a big grin on your face, trying to see what that baby will do on a straightaway.

It's a long known and complained about issue and it will most likely never go away on this version of Second Life. The platform was not designed with vehicular transport in mind. That being said, from my small experience and from what I read here and there, sim crossings have been greatly improved in the last year or so.

Advice: learn to read the minimap or the co-ordinates so you'll know when a sim border is close (or get a HUD that does that for you, there are many and they give other very useful info besides). Slow down when you see one. Personally I take my foot off the gas and coast. Once across to the other sim (hopefully still seated on your bike or in your car) you can speed up again and continue to the next one.

I'm sure some other people will give a better and more informative answer but....

It's common to have that problem when crossing a sim border.  When I am using a vehicle I find it helps to turn down graphics settings to the lowest level without going so far as to spoil your enjoyment of the scenery and to slow down and even pause for a few seconds before crossing.  My friend said it helps to do this because it allows the next region to load a little.  The longest journey I ever managed in a vehicle without needing a relog was a 78 sim journey and I paused before each crossing.  When we did long journeys together in a car or boat, my friend also recommended that I detach as many HUDs as possible and kept my clothing and attachments as simple as possible.

So judging from what I've read so far, it appears that the issue is just simply the computer and servers having to transfer information between two locations with me zipping through boundaries too fast.

It's common to have that problem when crossing a sim border.  When I am using a vehicle I find it helps to turn down graphics settings to the lowest level without going so far as to spoil your enjoyment of the scenery and to slow down and even pause for a few seconds before crossing.  My friend said it helps to do this because it allows the next region to load a little.  The longest journey I ever managed in a vehicle without needing a relog was a 78 sim journey and I paused before each crossing.  When we did long journeys together in a car or boat, my friend also recommended that I detach as many HUDs as possible and kept my clothing and attachments as simple as possible.

Personally I think this is some pretty good advice for some people, such as myself, given how I have a hard time controlling knee-jerk reactions and forgetting that Second Life isn't like World of Warcraft (in which a zone on a continent can load with little or no problems as you fly or travel between them) and that I need to pause. Luckily most of the attachements I have on my main avatar are fairly simple, so I shouldn't have to worry too much about being a lag fest as I travel.

about lost vehicles

sometimes the vehicle goes off-world in extreme cases. When that happens then is gone forever. If have a no-copy vehicle (which is pretty rare these days) then never ever do a sim crossing on it

most times the vehicle ends up on some parcel somewhere. When so then ends up back in your Lost and Found folder. Either by parcel auto-return. Or when auto-return off then by the parcel owner eventual logging in and returning it to you

have personal fell off 100s of vehicles. Most times can find or get back. But sometimes nada never

+

finding lost vehicles

a tip is to use the minimap. Your stuff (objects) show on the minimap as teal color. So can zoom/pan the minimap and locate the vehicle. most/some times

+

about the movement keys not working after a big tumble

seems this is a viewer-side bug i think. The (AS keys) and left and right arrow keys dont work. Relog is only way to fix them. I think is a viewer bug and has been in there since forever. For as long as I can remember anyways. I think is a viewer bug bc it also happens on OpenSim which have a different serverside script runtime engine 

irihapeti wrote:

about lost vehicles

sometimes the vehicle goes off-world in extreme cases. When that happens then is gone forever. If have a no-copy vehicle (which is pretty rare these days) then never ever do a sim crossing on it

most times the vehicle ends up on some parcel somewhere. When so then ends up back in your Lost and Found folder. Either by parcel auto-return. Or when auto-return off then by the parcel owner eventual logging in and returning it to you

have personal fell off 100s of vehicles. Most times can find or get back. But sometimes nada never.

It appears that the vehicle didn't cause any problems after I logged off and back onto the viewer. As long as there isn't some motorcycle floating in the air causing server lag on some parcel I went tumbling through, I'll be fine. =)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3519 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.