How do I unsubscribe from store IM's?

Freya Spingflower

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

10 answers to this question

In Firestorm you click on yourself and select groups. Then select a group and view info. Then deselect Receive group notices and Receive group instant messages.

In the official SL viewer you don't have the option to turn off group IM (which is reason in itself to move to firestorm) so you just have to leave the group if it is spammy.

I have to respectfully disagree with the honorable Ohjiro-san.  What you have done is sign up to a non-group list using a "subscriber."  These are useful because, as you have found, they don't take up a group slot but still let you get notices of new sales and new releases.  However, they are also annoying, for exactly the same reason!

To get out of a subscription, go back to the store in question, and click the subscriber sign again.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Shiri Constantine said:

how do you unsubscribe when they remove the subscriber? because this is becoming annoying enough for me to wanna hurt someone over.

Send ing this IM to the group owner usually works for me:

Hello, I am in your automated notification list that I do not remember ever opting into. Can you please remove me from all your automated notification or news lists per this section of the Second Life Terms of Service and Community Standards:

Disturbing the Peace/Global Attacks: Examples of prohibited attempts to disturb the peace include, but are not limited to: 
- Repeated transmission of undesired content;

Thank you.

As for being a reason of leaving Second Life Viewer (LL Viewer) for Firestorm as @Ohjiro Watanabesuggests: don't do it. The LL Viewer often performs better than Firestorm for many people. There's nothing wrong with looking at it, but never switch because someone said you should. It is best to look at all options: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Shiri Constantine said:

how do you unsubscribe when they remove the subscriber? because this is becoming annoying enough for me to wanna hurt someone over.

Lindal's advice will work in some cases. Unfortunately as you say sometimes subscribers mover or are deleted. When you get a message from a subscriber it "usually" tells you the location of the subscriber.  You can use that link to find the new location.

If it does not tell you or if there is nothing there, then you can write to the owner (likely there name is on the notecard) and explain the situation.

Also unfortunately there are SOME (I have a few and my alts too) companies that add names to their subscriber. YOU never touched the object in question.  The only way I have been able to get off those is to write the owner and tell them that I WILL send in an abuse report if they don't take me off the list. That USUALLY works.

Good luck. It IS A PAIN. 

On 2/14/2020 at 11:39 AM, Alyona Su said:

As for being a reason of leaving Second Life Viewer (LL Viewer) for Firestorm as @Ohjiro Watanabesuggests: don't do it. The LL Viewer often performs better than Firestorm for many people. There's nothing wrong with looking at it, but never switch because someone said you should.

Actually ~ Firestorm outperforms LL viewer ~ by quite a measurable difference.  Over the years the FS team has been adding in little optimizations and features that speed things up ~ ( some of which have been re-contributed back to the LL default viewer making the Linden Viewer part 'Firestorm' actually! ), and alleviate pain points such as simplified shadows.  The biggest single setting that will make you think that Firestorm is less performant is Firestorm ships with an LOD Default of 2.0 ~  which is substantially higher than the Linden Lab Official default of 1.25 ~ 

https://gyazo.com/effe406fbf750baa63c6aa451bf85c03

Changing the value of this setting governs when objects disintegrate into unrecognizable triangles just a couple meters away from them. This is a common problem on SL due to content creators cheating the Land Impact equation at the cost of a poorer visual experience for their customers.

Anyhow ~ the overall point is ~ the lower you push this setting the better your viewer performs~ giving people a false notion that one viewer is inherently different from the other~  in ways that it is not.

Edit : But yeah.. stumbled upon this post 'cause @#)% Subscriber things won't let me unsub and I want to scream.

Edited by polysail

On 5/13/2020 at 8:56 AM, polysail said:

Actually ~ Firestorm outperforms LL viewer ~ by quite a measurable difference.  Over the years the FS team has been adding in little optimizations and features that speed things up ~ ( some of which have been re-contributed back to the LL default viewer making the Linden Viewer part 'Firestorm' actually! ), and alleviate pain points such as simplified shadows.  The biggest single setting that will make you think that Firestorm is less performant is Firestorm ships with an LOD Default of 2.0 ~  which is substantially higher than the Linden Lab Official default of 1.25 ~ 

https://gyazo.com/effe406fbf750baa63c6aa451bf85c03

Changing the value of this setting governs when objects disintegrate into unrecognizable triangles just a couple meters away from them. This is a common problem on SL due to content creators cheating the Land Impact equation at the cost of a poorer visual experience for their customers.

Anyhow ~ the overall point is ~ the lower you push this setting the better your viewer performs~ giving people a false notion that one viewer is inherently different from the other~  in ways that it is not.

Edit : But yeah.. stumbled upon this post 'cause @#)% Subscriber things won't let me unsub and I want to scream.

I dont agree.

For me LL viewer has better colors and more tones, is more acurate in perspectives aso aso aso.

Also LL viewer has had lately a lot good updates what FS misses. / My sky has nice twinkling stars in LL viewer but not in FS one ...and this is smallest thing in list/

FS is always very late with updates. Remember animesh and BOM? ...now it is light, enviroment and sound.

I think it mostly up to what computer and graphic card you have....LL viewer is more demanding and with poorer settings- you just get poorer outcome but with good one you get better outcome than FS can give you. 

Im decorator and do some art in SL - so i think I can tell difference. My LOD in LL viewer is usually between 6 and 8 - you can change it by will.

But back to theme- yes in LL viewer you cant shut down group IM's, only notice pop-ups and NC.

I hope the yfind solution for it - it just needs making them aware of problem.

Edited by Vihmakass

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.