Sign in to follow this  
JJ Hoobinoo

Does using less prims reduce lag?

Question

6 answers to this question

Not so you would ever notice.

Even a blank textured prim still has to be drawn, but the technology is so fast that you will see no difference between having 15,000 boxes out and none. However, the more detailed the textures, the slower the rez. Once rezzed, though, there is usually no problem.

It depends a lot on what you do with them. A physical torus creates a lot more lag than a phantom cube. You also have to consider that lag isn't a single number. There are at least three different forms of lag: server, network and client. Server lag will be affected mostly by physical prims and scripts, network lag by textures and client lag by textures, sculpties and the draw-distance.

• Like 3

Wallace Wirefly wrote:

Hello J.J. Found this nice article about what you are asking. Give it a try and see if it answers your question.

http://analutetia.com/2009/06/22/anatomy-of-lag/

I was gonna post this link but I see you beat me to it Wallace :-)

It's a great article and I really would urge anyone concerned about lag to read it - it does a great job of dispelling some of the myths that get propogated about lag

Sometimes .............. Each SIM has an object limit, for mainland SIMs that number is 15,000 objects, approach or exceed this amount and it can create lag. Why approach this amount?  Because there are also other limits as well number the of AVs and Number of script events are also limiting factors.