Does using less prims reduce lag?

JJ Hoobinoo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Full Sim question-

In itself, does leaving prims unused improve sim perfomance? That is, ignoring things like texture loading etc does using just 12k of the 15k necessarily reduce lag and noticably improve the sims performance? Or should I be more concerned on "laggy" scripts and just drop prims to my hearts content?

Thanks.

6 answers to this question

Not so you would ever notice.

Even a blank textured prim still has to be drawn, but the technology is so fast that you will see no difference between having 15,000 boxes out and none. However, the more detailed the textures, the slower the rez. Once rezzed, though, there is usually no problem.

It depends a lot on what you do with them. A physical torus creates a lot more lag than a phantom cube. You also have to consider that lag isn't a single number. There are at least three different forms of lag: server, network and client. Server lag will be affected mostly by physical prims and scripts, network lag by textures and client lag by textures, sculpties and the draw-distance.

• Like 3

Wallace Wirefly wrote:

Hello J.J. Found this nice article about what you are asking. Give it a try and see if it answers your question.

http://analutetia.com/2009/06/22/anatomy-of-lag/

I was gonna post this link but I see you beat me to it Wallace :-)

It's a great article and I really would urge anyone concerned about lag to read it - it does a great job of dispelling some of the myths that get propogated about lag

Sometimes .............. Each SIM has an object limit, for mainland SIMs that number is 15,000 objects, approach or exceed this amount and it can create lag. Why approach this amount?  Because there are also other limits as well number the of AVs and Number of script events are also limiting factors.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.