Gaming Skills Region Problem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil Deakins wrote:

This is a generic comment and not a reply to you, Stormie.

If the reason why some people can't access the sim is due to personal data, then why is SL telling us that the sim contains "unknown content" and our Preferences are currently set to "exclude unknown content"? I don't believe it's anything to do with personal data.

What on earth is unknown content, anyway?

It's "unknown" because it's too new for viewers to have a proper message to display.

Phil Deakins wrote:

I don't believe it's anything to do with personal data.

My reading of the error message is as follows:-

[02:11] Second Life: The region you're trying to visit contains <unknown content>, but your current preferences are set to exclude <unknown content>.

It seems reasonable to me that LL would implement these flags without considering the error messages they would produce. Copypasting from the Maturity Ratings error descriptions would be step #1 (which they seem to have done), changing 'adult content' to 'skill gaming content' is step #2 (seem to have not done).

This is why I assume it's a personal data thing. Or read Cerise's reply, which is more concise :D

Teagan Tobias wrote:

LL could lock people out of playing the games, but they chose to lock people out of whole regions. There is a big difference. And me being on SL and not playing is no different than me being in the same region and not playing, no difference at all, . . .

Just out of interest I checked a few of those regions. Skill gaming regions appear to be filled with gaming machines. Gaming machines all over the region. If one does not play the games there's nothing to do, nothing interesting to see; unless one considers watching other avatars playing the games as interesting passtime.

As I don't play the games I certainly would not go there just to spend time. It would be very boring. :matte-motes-yawn:

There are lots of much more interesting things to do in SL, for me.

Coby Foden wrote:

Teagan Tobias wrote:

LL could lock people out of playing the games, but they chose to lock people out of whole regions.

Just out of interest I checked a few of those regions. Skill gaming regions appear to be filled with gaming machines. Gaming machines all over the region. If one does not play the games there's nothing to do, nothing interesting to see

Good enough presumption there, Coby.

There's a functional reason, too:-

It's relatively easy to mask operations in SL by using relay messages or routing. Across a single sim the potential for this to occur is high, because inside-sim messaging is easy. An example is clicking an 'innocent' prim that is coded to trigger a skill game event in a 'not-innocent' prim.

This risk is drastically reduced by blocking whole sims as extra-simulator messaging (and transfer of things like UUIDs, but especially resolution of things like llTransferLindenDollars - the LSL call that LL will be monitoring for compliance) is more difficult. Email and HTTP (two possible methods of communicating with out-of-sim scripts) are both logged per-simulator, so mechanisms of this type could still be spotted without playing games of whack-a-mole.

Teagan Tobias wrote:

Tari Landar wrote:

Teagan Tobias wrote:

I find it interesting that they have cut off 1/5th of the US (ten states) from even entering the Skilled Gaming Regions. That's a lot of people to just tell, we don't want you here. And you can't go for entertainment or shopping or anything.

That's not LL doing that, it is the laws within those states doing that. LL has no control over it whatsoever.

LL could lock people out of playing the games, but they chose to lock people out of whole regions. There is a big difference. And me being on SL and not playing is no different than me being in the same region and not playing, no difference at all, none at all, no matter how you sugar coat it.

I'm not sugar coating anything(you'll find I rarely stick up for LL), it is the way that it is, because of rl laws. But how do you expect LL to control which avs can actually play the games? Unless LL provides the scripting for each game(negating the entire purpose of a creator, really) or a way for those who make the games to add something in their script that checks for the requirements the way the land does, it can't be done.

I would think trying to work that into the scripts would be much more difficult, on all fronts, than simply just not letting folks into those regions.

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

This is a generic comment and not a reply to you, Stormie.

If the reason why some people can't access the sim is due to personal data, then why is SL telling us that the sim contains "unknown content" and our Preferences are currently set to "exclude unknown content"? I don't believe it's anything to do with personal data.

It's "unknown" because it's too new for viewers to have a proper message to display.

well all I can say to this is:

giddyup my little linden pony

jejejeje (:

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

[02:11] Second Life: The region you're trying to visit contains
<unknown content>
, but your current preferences are set to exclude
<unknown content>

It seems reasonable to me that LL would implement these flags without considering the error messages they would produce. Copypasting from the Maturity Ratings error descriptions would be step #1 (which they seem to have done), changing 'adult content' to 'skill gaming content' is step #2 (seem to have
not
done).

This is why I assume it's a personal data thing. Or read Cerise's reply, which is more concise
:D

That's probably it, and it's just LL shoddyness. The message actually says:-

[01:45] [second Life: The region you're trying to visit contains unknown content, but your current preferences are set to exclude unknown content.]

If it was intended to be as you suggest, it should certainly have some indication of it, as you have done.

The whole thing is a bit of a mess at the moment. I am in the UK, so not in a barred state, all my details are on file, even my bank details - I've been cashing out for many years. I suppose it could be that I haven't entered any payment information since January 2007. All my RL payments (tier) have been done from my LL US$ account and, since Jan 2007 that has always been replenished from my L$. In fact, the card I used back then expired a long ago. That might be the reason. Re-entering a payment method might fix it.

Teagan Tobias wrote:

Sugar overload, going into diabetic shock...

So you're saying you don't really know how they could prevent people who don't meet the requirements, from playing games....you simply think it would be better than the current option of simply blocking people, then?

If you have a better way for them to stop people who are not allowed to, by law, play these games in sl...I'm sure I am not the only one who would love to hear it. I know quite a few people who cannot enter these sims, or won't be able to. So, if a better solution is out there, it would do a lot of good.

I'm sure the current option we have now wasn't even an idea the lab came up with on their own, to be honest, i don't put enough faith in them to come up with grand ideas these days. But at the same time, I doubt they could come up with a better solution. So, it's not a bad idea for residents to mention better ideas, if we have them(not that LL will listen, but, never hurts, i guess)

Phil Deakins wrote:

If it was intended to be as you suggest, it should certainly have some indication of it, as you have done.

Agree but what can you do. It's basically coder-preference in situations like this, and they're messages that aren't supposed to be debugged by humans - it's a courtesy message only.

Phil Deakins wrote:

The whole thing is a bit of a mess at the moment.

I am shocked. Equally shocked that LL aren't releasing the definitive requirements to access Skilled Gaming regions. (witholding these while also controlling access is so crazy, and will only add an extra burden to SL Support)

Cerise's posts indicate current payment info is required.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Before adding payment info on my alt account I was not able to enter skill gaming regions.

Immediately after adding payment info I was able get in.

What is funny (I use Firestorm):

In the web profile it says: Payment info on file

In the legacy (old style) profile it says: No Payment Info On File

It's many hours ago when I added the payment info and the legacy profile info has not updated sor far.

Anyway, the alt can get into the skill gaming regions.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Agree but what can you do. It's basically coder-preference in situations like this, and they're messages that aren't supposed to be debugged by humans - it's a courtesy message only.

Phil Deakins wrote:

The whole thing is a bit of a mess at the moment.

I am shocked. Equally shocked that LL aren't releasing the definitive requirements to access Skilled Gaming regions. (witholding these while also controlling access is so crazy, and will only add an extra burden to SL Support)

I'm not shocked at all.  This is typical of LL to not state any really detailed information about any of their Security Protocols.  Just like their adult words filter for the MP.

Yep, support is going to get inundated, but that is LL's problem.

Coby Foden wrote:

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Before adding payment info on my alt account I was not able to enter skill gaming regions.

Immediately after adding payment info I was able get in.

That's interesting. I say that because Stormie's payment info was active (not an expired card), so she bought L$2k because it may not have been used for a long time and using it may cause the system to be sensible. A little time went by and she still couldn't get into that sim. Perhaps it needs payment info to have been submitted relatively recently, rather than old payment info actually being used.

It's a bit of a shambles, isn't it.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Perhaps it needs payment info to have been submitted relatively recently, rather than old payment info actually being used.

It's a bit of a shambles, isn't it.

You might want to delete the payment method and then add it again. It might trigger something in the system.

Perhaps, who knows.

This is totally nuts.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

[02:11] Second Life: The region you're trying to visit contains
<unknown content>
, but your current preferences are set to exclude
<unknown content>

It seems reasonable to me that LL would implement these flags without considering the error messages they would produce. Copypasting from the Maturity Ratings error descriptions would be step #1 (which they seem to have done), changing 'adult content' to 'skill gaming content' is step #2 (seem to have
not
done).

This is why I assume it's a personal data thing. Or read Cerise's reply, which is more concise
:D

This is basically it. There are five defined region access values: SIM_ACCESS_PG, SIM_ACCESS_MATURE, SIM_ACCESS_ADULT, SIM_ACCESS_DOWN and SIM_ACCESS_MIN. You get SIM_ACCESS_MIN, which translates to "unknown", if an unknown access flag is encountered. The new gaming flag triggers it.

The bug for this message showing when blocked from a gaming region is GAMING-19. and it's fixed in the viewer-bear repository. That should show up soon in a maintencnce viewer RC, and once it passes RC it will trickle to the main viewer. TPVs will pick up the patch as they get to it.  It's a nice little one liner, so it will be pretty much painless for other viewers to pick it up.

Teagan Tobias wrote:

Tari Landar wrote:

Teagan Tobias wrote:

I find it interesting that they have cut off 1/5th of the US (ten states) from even entering the Skilled Gaming Regions. That's a lot of people to just tell, we don't want you here. And you can't go for entertainment or shopping or anything.

That's not LL doing that, it is the laws within those states doing that. LL has no control over it whatsoever.

LL could lock people out of playing the games, but they chose to lock people out of whole regions. There is a big difference. And me being on SL and not playing is no different than me being in the same region and not playing, no difference at all, none at all, no matter how you sugar coat it.

I have no idea why you want to go some where that you are barred from participating in the only activity there.  To me it's like a child with a finger 1/10th of a an inch from a sibling  taunting them over and over with "I am not touching you".  It is much easier to block you from a region than stop you from playing games.   I know you are p'd off by not being allowed to game, but your remedy is in your state's legislature, not complaining here in the forum or blaming LL for you states laws.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Stormie Windlow wrote:

I live in the UK, not one of the banned 10 States.... I have Payment Information on file... I am age verified..my billing address is up to date and shows a UK address...

Are you a Premium member?

How were you age-verified? Did you use the Aristotle service or submit ID prior to the Date of Birth change?

BTW:   I'm not a premium member.   I was never age-verified by Aristotle or by an ID. 

All I ever did was put a CC (payment info) on file.  

No, I'm not “p'd off by not being allowed to game”, that's not the point. And if I could play the games, I would not, I don't gamble, I think its stupid, but that is just me. But if the gaming is any kind of success, at all, there will be shops and entertainment available to draw more people in and keep them there to spend their winnings. I think its inevitable, and a lot of people will not have access to the entertainment and shops. But I guess that is thinking to far ahead for SL.

But if the ONLY things your are allowed to do on a gaming region is gamble (no shops, no entertainment) then, this is pointless.  But I don't know that.

What you say does make sense in that it has to be a region setting, but what set off the confusion is that some are allowed in and others are not, with no common link for allowing or disallowing.   So although what you say makes sense, surely everyone would be affected and would need to await an update?

Teagan Tobias wrote:

But if the gaming is any kind of success,
at all
there will be shops and entertainment available to draw more people in and keep them there to spend their winnings. I think its inevitable, and a lot of people will not have access to the entertainment and shops. But I guess that is thinking to far ahead for SL.

But if the
ONLY
things your are allowed to do on a gaming region is gamble (no shops, no entertainment) then, this is pointless.  But I don't know that.

Perhaps there wouldn't be any shops, and especially not any entertainment in those places. If the sims were full or near full of heavily scripted avatars, wearing tons of high polygon meshes, wearing huge amount of large textures then the games would become unplayable due to huge lag. The regions would crawl like a snail, in near death condition.

So most likely the owners of the gaming sims would not want that to happen.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.