New to Roleplay, Does anyone have any tips?

VesperiaStarfall

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone, I've been in secondlife for a while, I was thinking of trying out roleplaying again. I have played a little bit of roleplay, but it was very free form and I didn't really have the time to develop my character.  I was wondering if anyone could give me a few tips on equitte,roleplaying styles, character creation, combat, and stats. I really like medieval fantasy roleplay, and playing as other creations such as nymphs,elves,mermaids,dragons,demons,dark elves, etc. I could really use some recommendations for good fantasy roleplaying sims and communities.

When it comes to character creation your essentially story telling. So you want to start with who is my character, what is their name, what will they look like, what sort of traits do they have for example do they bite their lip when their nervous, do they walk or talk a certain way, perhaps my character can't pronounce their R's properly. You want to create a back story too! The more detailed the story is the more convincing, so where are they from, what was their younger years like, who is their family? Then you move onto what you character looks like! Generally when it comes to Gor you want to keep one paticular look, so your eyes won't or your hair. Does your character have any distinguishing looks? Maybe a mole on their cheek or a scar on their forehead from a fight they had with someone.

That's the basics of creating a character. If you can do this then you will have more fun when roleplaying and you'll find it easier to immerse yourself in the roleplay :)

Good luck!

I've taught several RP classes. They are posted here http://www.landofnor.com/forums/177-the-art-of-role-playing/133922-roleplay-basics

You will have to join the forum to read he thread but it's free and you won't get spammed by it.

Also good tps

http://www.landofnor.com/forums/177-the-art-of-role-playing/145468-building-your-character-and-the-art-of-choosing-your-meter-race

http://www.landofnor.com/forums/177-the-art-of-role-playing/144991-godmodding-metagaming-and-the-use-and-abuse-of-alts

The info about meters probably won't apply to you but still good general tips there.

Honestly, I could prolly write at least half a decent sized novel on this topic.

For someone completley new though, I'd suggest you start small and observe and maybe stray away from sims with a high roleplay standard, but dont go for something trashy either (unless casual rp is what you find yourself preferring).  But if you do go to a sim where people are fairly experienced, stand to the side and observe a bit and figure out how exactly people are doing things before you jump in do something wrong and get ppl pissed at you.  That was my biggest mistake when i started, I was too eager to jump in too soon and some people had only so much patience for a newb.

Make sure you learn the rules too.  Every sim has its own theme and its own variances on the rules, every theme's RP system is slightly unique to itself, but regardless of the slight differences the rules in general are the same sim to sim.

One thing to understand as well, if you find the rules confusing or contradictory, dont be surprised.  RP its a balancing act between quite a few dfferent rules and quite a few things that matter and quite a few things to take into account.  That cant be taught, only time/experience and lots of practice can help you on that.

This may take a bit of luck, but try to make the right friends.  Someone powerful who'd help you can help bring you a long way.  

And speaking of resouces, search up groups such as " Seeking Roleplay " " Roleplay Network " "Roleplay Gateway" " RPC " and " Family Role Play Network " to check out the different sims that are recruiting.

Also visit the Secondlife Roleplay Center.  If you know how to go to different regions, go to the region named Hastings.  Thats where the RPC is.  Sims advertise there, and you can pick up different guides on roleplaying there as well.  Great resource. If you cant find the RPC, then either talk to me (caimartinjg), astarte.hubbenfluff, or elphaba.scientist inworld and we can help you (the last two are the owners while I helped them get their guides library together).

Lastly, if theres any one sim in particular Id recommend.....if you're interested in post apocalyptic roleplay, theres this one sim called Wargame Apocalypse thats pretty fun.  The players are very friendly, and very experienced as well and can really help you along.

If you want to find out more or apply, please visit wargame-apocalypse.enjin.com

and the SLURL if you'd like to visit: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Johnson%20City/130/128/1501

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.