what to do when encountering ageplay?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2012 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What do I do when I stumble upon ageplay in progress? I know I need to report it, but in my abuse report, do I have to have chat logs included for any action to be taken, or just a snapshot and a description of the incident, or just names and specific actions being undertaken, or what all needs to be included?

You should report it if you are pretty sure one of the particpants was a RL minor or was roleplaying a minor.  It's best if you have a log, but it's not necessary.  If you overheard something give as accurate a report of what you heard as you can.  Include why you think it was age play, the user names of the avatars, the location, date and time.  If you can include a pic that'd be good too.  If you can't fit it all in one AR, file more AR's and reference the first, then continue the information.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

You should report it if you are pretty sure one of the particpants was a RL minor or was roleplaying a minor.  It's best if you have a log, but it's not necessary.  If you overheard something give as accurate a report of what you heard as you can.  Include why you think it was age play, the user names of the avatars, the location, date and time.  If you can include a pic that'd be good too.  If you can't fit it all in one AR, file more AR's and reference the first, then continue the information.

Assuming the OP is talking about sexual ageplay...  No mention was made of such.  Nonsexual ageplay need not be reported.

• Like 2

It is preferable that you include a screenshot of the incident. The screenshot should include the child avatar, any avatar(s) who is/are with the child avatar, and what you find objectionable. A child avatar may not use adult furniture, but also may not be NEAR adult furniture or images, so you can take a screenshot in either case. 

You should also include a description of the incident and the usernames of everyone involved. You can set things up so the picture you take includes the names of the avatars, but you should also mention them specifically just to clarify things. 

You don't need chatlogs, but if you have them, you can include them. If you don't, though, as long as you saw the activities taking place, you can still file a report. If you don't have a picture or pictures, you can also still file a report, but it'll really just be hearsay, with no real proof. Still doable, but less likely to have any action taken.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

I must be hanging out in all the right places.. 8 years in SL and i have yet to come across sexual ageplay. You have been here for 2 months and found it already. Where were you hanging out?!?!?

^^^ This.

5yrs for me and I've been to some seedy places. Never have seen anything like this.

• Like 2

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

but also may not be NEAR adult furniture or images, so you can take a screenshot in either case. 

For which LL do not specify how near is NEAR so it's somewhat open to interpretation.  I'm pretty much the same though, i've been around a while and never encountered this.  Sure a few child avatars in adult regions but they're allowed to be there (within the terms of what they're allowed to do etc.)

Quite often though we hear of ageplay being described as short avatar involved with tall avatar etc. so i'm always a bit sceptical and i'll be even more so of someone so new reporting this.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

but also may not be NEAR adult furniture or images, so you can take a screenshot in either case. 

For which LL do not specify how near is NEAR so it's somewhat open to interpretation.  I'm pretty much the same though, i've been around a while and never encountered this.  Sure a few child avatars in adult regions but they're allowed to be there (within the terms of what they're allowed to do etc.)

Quite often though we hear of ageplay being described as short avatar involved with tall avatar etc. so i'm always a bit sceptical and i'll be even more so of someone so new reporting this.

They also do not specify what adult furniture is.. Is a bed automatically adult? What if no one is on it? How do you prove it is adult? It could be unscripted.

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

Frankly, I've never actually encountered this issue, myself. Interesting how prevelent it is on the forums, when so many of us have never seen it inworld...

I always wonder about this also.

Seven years in SL and I have encountered two self confessed RL underaged girls outside of G land but really it was only recently that I got 'hit on' by a suspect Ava who looked and acted like a twelve year old for the first time.  However I didn't pursue that in order to find out.  I wouldn't want my 'fact finding' to get misinterpreted as seeking such activity.

Yes, I know this behaviour happens but I really seriously wonder where these people are going that they seem to find it so readily.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

Frankly, I've never actually encountered this issue, myself. Interesting how prevelent it is on the forums, when so many of us have never seen it inworld...

Seven years in SL and I have encountered two self confessed RL underaged girls outside of G land but really it was only recently that I got 'hit on' by a suspect Ava who looked and acted like a twelve year old for the first time.  However I didn't pursue that in order to find out.  I wouldn't want my 'fact finding' to get misinterpreted as seeking such activity.

Yes, I know this behaviour happens but I really seriously wonder where these people are going that they seem to find it so readily.

I have met plenty of self confessed underage users on M and A sims.. I usually AR them, cuz i'm an **bleep** like that. I have yet to come across any sexual age play though.

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

Being a moderator in a group of A rated regions, I have had to deal with it a few times in the last several years, and have reports from other moderators to the extent that it happens rarely but regularly.

Far more frequent are children (sometimes as young as 7 or 8?) bypassing the age verification system (i.e. putting in an incorrect date) and ending up in our regions, usually bragging about what they did, which leads to an instant ban and getting them reported to LL for disposal.

THAT happens several times a day during weekends and school holidays, and I'm sure we don't get all of them.

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

I've never seen it in-world either. But then I've not seen a lot of what's described here in the forums in-world. I think this is a function of the nature and purpose of forums. There is no place in-world that supports the kind of exchanges that occur here. When you TP to a spot, there's no history of the last four years of chat there, there's no categorization of simultaneous public chats by topic. You get the idea.

I would not expect to encounter the fullness of forum variety in-world, unless I had a hell of a lot of time to go looking for it. Here it just gets dumped in your lap. That does not mean the variety is not there. I'd not expect to go to a bar in RL and see everybody's OK Cupid profiles floating above their heads.

I think it's the tools, not the people, that make the difference.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

I have met plenty of self confessed underage users on M and A sims.. I usually AR them, cuz i'm an **bleep** like that. I have yet to come across any sexual age play though.

I don't consider that being a **bleep**.  I AR'd also after the truth came out.  Well maybe I was being a little bit of a **bleep**.  But based on my conversations they seriously did not belong in SL.

jwenting wrote:

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

Being a moderator in a group of A rated regions, I have had to deal with it a few times in the last several years, and have reports from other moderators to the extent that it happens rarely but regularly.

Far more frequent are children (sometimes as young as 7 or 8?) bypassing the age verification system (i.e. putting in an incorrect date) and ending up in our regions, usually bragging about what they did, which leads to an instant ban and getting them reported to LL for disposal.

THAT happens several times a day during weekends and school holidays, and I'm sure we don't get all of them.

I have a real hard time envisioning a 7 or 8 year old signing up, installing SL and logging in.  I could possibly see it with a pubescent child or older, but not 7 or 8.

DeliciousKefir wrote:

What do I do when I stumble upon ageplay in progress?

Make sure it's really sexual ageplay and not just a realistic proportioned (180cm) avatar, The norm in many places in SL is sadly 7 feet+ which makes people who are realistically sized sometimes look like children. In real life adults come in all shapes and sizes, don't take assumed height as your only guide. Likewise the twink and femboy community often don't like muscled and hairy skins, so that is also not the best guide.

Things you can then do is bring up their profile with supporting info stating their SL Age and keep that on screen as you AR them with snapshot. Don't worry about the chat log, LL have full records of everything we say, they can verify it fine themselves and know their records are more likely unedited and unchanged.

Some guidelines we have found out or guessed from the way the lab act - and there are exceptions as the Lab refuse to hard define these issues - generally:

It is not sexual ageplay for an SL kid to be in Adult Region. The rules on being near a sex bed are also grey. It would easily be reportable if they are actually on the sex bed. But there are kids who are adopted and live with adults. Those adults do have beds in their bedrooms. We know generally that SL Kids are not in danger if they go near their SL parent's beds.

Also not sexual ageplay for an SL kid to be standing talking to an SL adult, even dancing with an SL adult and hugging & cuddling an SL adult are ok.

Also not sexual ageplay for an SL kid to be naked... as long as they are not aroused. Kids go to nudist clubs in real life, and despite the thoughts of some people it's not offensive for kids to run about nekkid. Obviously obeying the PG rules. It should be good taste for the SL kid not to flaunt that in shopping malls, but I'd AR that as offensive not Ageplay.

Also not sexual ageplay for an SL kid to be joined to an adult group. But it should be good taste on the SL kid's part to hide that groups.

Not sexual ageplay for an SL kid to have "bits", real life children are generally not eunuchs either but clearly if those bits are ever in aroused state or out in an unsuitable area it's a clear violation of the rules.

Clearly:

Sexual ageplay is the SL Kid "doing the nasty" to use the vernacular. And quite frankly, if you see that, where the heck and what seedy venue are you going to!? No, on second thoughts I don't want to know.

Of course, it's your absolute right to AR anything and everything you think is Sexual Ageplay, but be awarethat if you become a habitual false reporter then LL will ban you instead.

That sort of stuff was cleared out right back in 2007 with Camp LaLinda and Das Speigal/Fox and is policed pretty heavily by the full time SL Kid community who generally don't like that sort of person tainting their name.

All of this is just my opinion of course, and I'm not interested in debating the finer points. It would be a pointless excersise anyway as the lab have never defined anything in this category, preferring to take value judgements at the time. /shrug.

• Like 3

Callum Meriman wrote:

DeliciousKefir wrote:

What do I do when I stumble upon ageplay in progress?

Make sure it's really sexual ageplay and not just a realistic proportioned (180cm) avatar, The norm in many places in SL is sadly 7 feet+ which makes people who are realistically sized sometimes look like children. In real life adults come in all shapes and sizes, don't take assumed height as your only guide. Likewise the twink and femboy community often don't like muscled and hairy skins, so that is also not the best guide.

Things you can then do is bring up their profile with supporting info stating their SL Age and keep that on screen as you AR them with snapshot. Don't worry about the chat log, LL have full records of everything we say, they can verify it fine themselves and know their records are more likely unedited and unchanged.

Some guidelines we have found out or guessed from the way the lab act - and there are exceptions as the Lab refuse to hard define these issues - generally:

It is not sexual ageplay for an SL kid to be in Adult Region. The rules on being near a sex bed are also grey. It would easily be reportable if they are actually on the sex bed. But there are kids who are adopted and live with adults. Those adults do have beds in their bedrooms. We know generally that SL Kids are not in danger if they go near their SL parent's beds.

Also not sexual ageplay for an SL kid to be standing talking to an SL adult, even dancing with an SL adult and hugging & cuddling an SL adult are ok.

Also not sexual ageplay for an SL kid to be naked... as long as they are not aroused. Kids go to nudist clubs in real life, and despite the thoughts of some people it's not offensive for kids to run about nekkid. Obviously obeying the PG rules. It should be good taste for the SL kid not to flaunt that in shopping malls, but I'd AR that as offensive not Ageplay.

It may not be sexual ageplay but it is against the law. You can not have your child naked at a regular beach in RL.

Also not sexual ageplay for an SL kid to be joined to an adult group. But it should be good taste on the SL kid's part to hide that groups.

Child avs in SL should not be part of adult themed groups. Most adult themed groups boot child avs from them when they find them.

Not sexual ageplay for an SL kid to have "bits", real life children are generally not eunuchs either but clearly if those bits are ever in aroused state or out in an unsuitable area it's a clear violation of the rules.

Children in SL can  not have "bits". That is against Federal US law. You can not show a digital depection of a nude child.

Clearly:

Sexual ageplay is the SL Kid "doing the nasty" to use the vernacular. And quite frankly, if you see that,
where the heck and what seedy venue are you going to
!? No, on second thoughts I don't want to know.

Of course, it's your absolute right to AR anything and everything you think is Sexual Ageplay, but be awarethat if you become a habitual false reporter then LL will ban you instead.

That sort of stuff was cleared out right back in 2007 with Camp LaLinda and Das Speigal/Fox and is policed pretty heavily by the full time SL Kid community who generally don't like that sort of person tainting their name.

All of this is just my opinion of course, and I'm not interested in debating the finer points. It would be a pointless excersise anyway as the lab have never defined anything in this category, preferring to take value judgements at the time. /shrug.

LL may not have defined it but the federal government did.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Children in SL can  not have "bits". That is against Federal US law. You can not show a digital depection of a nude child.

I reiterate that I am not interested in debating the finer points of this - the topic is almost to that of a sports team / political / religious argument where everybody has entrenched and utterly unchangable views; but I do need to clear up your mistaken statement on US law.

18 U.S.C. § 1466Acriminalizes material that has "a visual depiction of any kind, including a drawing, cartoon, sculpture or painting" that "depicts a minor engaging in sexually explicit conduct and is obscene". In the right place, as long as they are not aroused a naked cartoon child is neither of these to any reasonable person. In fact the term "sexually explicit conduct" is well defined there. 

Paragraph (e)(1) of 18 U.S.C. 1466A lists a defense "Having less than three such (sexually explicit) visual depictions" that could possibly even preclude prosecution for such obscene things under USA law (as long as no snapshots are taken). However, even with that said anyone who falls foul of 1466A is going to be LL permabanned, so it's moot.

As to kids not being allowed at nude beaches. There are no US federal laws either for or against such nudity, as LL is a CA entity they should abide by that states laws. I welcome you to research those on your own and research the local ordinances related to a quite large number of nude beaches in that state.

The advice is still unchanged: if you feel the SL kid is sexually ageplaying then by all means AR it with a snapshot and your reasons for thinking it's the case. Be aware that too many false/malicious ARs labels you as a trouble maker and will subject you to bans as well.

The comment is still, the OP must be going to some pretty nasty places to see this sort of behavior.

• 1 year later...

First, I see no reason for your yelling...

LL has all right to prohibit wathever they want, no matter if it is legal or not in USA or in any other country. And in their ToS they are clear that sexual ageplay is not allowed in SL.

To report ageplay, the reporter must give LL evidences of what they are reporting. It is not enough to simply say "Avatar resident was involved in ageplay" or something like this.

As if they do investigate or not, sorry, we are just resident and cannot answer this for LL.

I understand what you are saying about Linden doing whatever they want and that being banning ageplay, but if it is legal in the United States, then that does not make sense and leads many to believe that  Linden decided to bann it so they can scam thousands of users out of their money and land, which has happened to several whom I know in SL that were using a small avatar and got accused of ageplay when they did nothing wrong. I have found plenty of information that is from 2008 that says it is legal, but none from the present time. So is it legal in the United States or not?

You do realise that you do NOT have any legal right to a second life account in the first place?

You have already agreed to the TOS (that you surely read?) that made it clear that the service may be removed at any time. They can ban you for shouting in the forum or even just because banning you on a Friday would be a laugh.

You do understand this part yes?

Nobody here needs to clarify anything other than maybe help you to interpret the TOS. Nor will there be any lawsuits, which would likely fail spectacularly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2012 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.