Help With Cylinders/Curved Walls.

Malereh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been remodelling my house for a couple of hourse now and I have been having trouble trying to figure out how to make thin curved walls without having to restore to using multiple prims. I have been trying to use the Hallow and Path Cut method but the resulting wall is too thick to make the house look any good.

This is what my wall use to look like. The balcony was just a simple square shape and the wall was pretty thin.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/TR3/Capture-14.png

And this is my attempt in trying to curve the wall, obviously way too thick to make the balcony look any good.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/TR3/Capture2-8.png

I'm sorry if I'm asking a question that has already been posted here on these forums or if my issue is an easy problem to fix that even I can do it, but I would just like some extra help so I can learn more about how to build. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Well you seem to be doing the best that you can in SL and with prims. Other grids have other rules but the 95 hollow makes for thickish walls as you have found. You could do this in mesh of course and it would be smoother and could be thinner, but as far as I can see you aren't doing anything wrong -- you are just limited by what you can do. If you want to make with prims you COULD make an octagonal shaped wall with various think prims as you surmised. Beyond that I think you are stuck.

You might look at the Marketplace and see if someone has made a round mesh building patio shape that would work for what you want.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks for the bad news. I tried to do what I can of course, but mesh I'm afraid seems like something that I have to study for years apon years for me to create something that looks good. I did hear that trying to create stuff in mesh is really, really hard, but I am willing to learn at least some basics so that I could be able to have a good looking house. If you could let me know what programs I should use in order to build it and if you have any tutorials I would greatly appreiate it.

A little more tricky, but try using a Tube prim with the following parameters as a base

path cut 0.50 0.00

hollow 95

hole size 1.00 0.05

profile cut 0.00 0.25

Experiment with the last one. Not as easy as a cylinder but can make the walls a little thinner.

And do a search for the Ivory Tower of Primitives - some greatt info and examples there

• Like 1

What Mikka said shoud be working, use a tube instead of a cilinder. The picture below shows the both of them and the tube has a thickness of maybe 10% from that of the cilinder.

140825_001A.png

Here are the values i used:

Hollow = 95%  /  Holesize Y = 0.05  /  Profilecut E = 0.125

size: X = 2.5  /  Y = 5  /  Z=5

If I was limiting myself to basic prims then I'd use a series of seperate recangle prims for that.

Thing about SL is not to fight its limitations.

But yes, the ideal is to get a mesh from the marketplace. I'd recommend you get a full builders prim kit so you have lots of mesh prims to choose from. If you link them the land impact can be better than basic prims could ever achieve.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.