Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SeXXXy Bliss

Marketplace...

Recommended Posts

I'm not sure who will agree with me, but, it's getting kinda frustrating to shop in the Marketplace with all the DEMO’s in your face. I do not want to buy, or get free, any demo’s. Please don’t think I am dissing your demo’s, as I do think they are great for trying out your items. My problem is that there is way too much time wasted when looking to buy something, plus there is the problem of thinking most of them are not demo’s but just free items.

I have come up with a suggestion…why not make a category just for DEMO’s! Then people looking for demo’s can search that Category, and people who don’t want demo’s can avoid them completely! Would love to hear your feedback on this subject…those in favor and those who aren’t!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have to agree on the Lindens not fixing this, seems lately all they are interested in is how much money they can make from the game...sigh. I've been in SL since Dec. 2004 and all I have seen is SL moving more toward the 'technical' aspect of it. I remember when the Marketplace was so easy to sell on, now it's all complicated and frustrating. Plus SL has 'dinosaured' the old style builders...one of which I still am and proud of it!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is not necessary but it's not OUR fault!

This is simply solved by never having search return anything which is a demo.  Demos are only necessary as a clickable link from the main product and since there's already a relationship between the main product and a demo, it's just a trivial query to exlcude such from the results returned by search.

The issue is that creators are required to make a listing for a demo and that listing is referenced from the main product. LL haven't done the above with regard to a query and given their lack of interest in doing anything useful and positive with Marketplace, there's nothing which is likely to happen.

What LL have done recently with MP:-

Screw up maturity ratings thus requiring merchants to correct issues while LL do nothing to advise when this issue will be rectified.

Listen to a minsicule minority of undisclosed merchants to introduce a very poor implementation of some extra fields around mesh/classic avatars which again, requires merchants to edit ALL their relevant listings to make use of this feature and even then, the implementation is so bad, it doesn't encompass all use cases.

So, expect them to do something SIMPLE and get it right such as excluding related demos from search results?  Not going to happen.  You should worry more about what would happen if they tried to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ohjiro Watanabe wrote:

You just put "NOT Demo" at the end of your search term.

It would be fine and dandy if everyone understood Boolean terms but any more not many do.

And Boolean terms DO NOT work very consistently in the MP.

There should be clickable options in the MP to delimit a search.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


LovedWarrior wrote:

I love the suggestion! Yes a demo section!

No, totally wrong approach!  Think about it.  You don't look for demos, there's no need to look for a demo, demos should NEVER be returned from a search query.

You want to find the proper product and within that be able to access a demo.  Looking for demo's is arse about face, demos should not be visible or returned in a query, outside the scope of the actual product searched for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Sassy Romano wrote:


LovedWarrior wrote:

I love the suggestion! Yes a demo section!

No, totally wrong approach!  Think about it.  You don't look for demos, there's no need to look for a demo, demos should NEVER be returned from a search query.

You want to find the proper product and within that be able to access a demo.  Looking for demo's is arse about face, demos should not be visible or returned in a query, outside the scope of the actual product searched for.

^^^^^    THIS    ^^^^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sassy, you're neglecting those of us with a fetish for demos.

There's nothing we like more than waltzing through SL with boxes or "DEMO" signs floating over our noggins, tattoos on our forheads and ginormous hands and feet. Screw the real thing, we want the DEMO!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for lightening the conversation up Madelaine. Not sure why people have such a strong opinions about this or feel the need to speak as if they are speaking on behalf of the whole world.

If I am being a skin flint and searching Low to High prices then it is true that you get a load of demos when you just wanted a pair of duds for under a tenner. But it is not that much of a hardship to say NOT demo, and it doesn't work perfectly because some put in D E M O or it is in the image and not the text. You don't have to go get a degree in logic to use this any more than you need a computer science degree to log into Second Life

But if you are buying mesh clothes it is best to try the demo first and then you just look at related items to get the real McCoy.

This is all my opinion, it is no more or less valid than any other opinion.

It isn't something to get your knickers in a twist about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ohjiro Watanabe wrote:

It isn't something to get your knickers in a twist about.

I wonder how that analogy originated.

I've gone an entire day without realizing I've got my undies on inside-out. Is this a guy thing? No... wait. I'm trying to visualize the topology as I write this. If you wear briefs inside-out, doesn't the fly thingie still work the same way? The overlapping flaps switch front-to-back, but they also switch left-to-right because you have to rotate them about the forward axis to account for inside-outing them.

So, what's the big deal?

Now blouses and shirts are another thing. Who decided that boy buttons go on the right side and girl buttons on the left, but only for tops? For bottoms, it's anyone's guess where girl buttons and zippers go, but guys are always on the right, right?

And who's the jackass that decided to put some girl buttons in the back, or at weird angles? And who's the super jackass that decided to put bra clasps in the front, where the simple act of plucking a cantaloupe from the produce aisle can pop it open, leaving you to do a Houdini impression in aisle one?

Why the hell is anyone worried about damned DEMO items in the marketplace where there are pressing issues like this still unresolved?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've gone an entire day without realizing I've got my undies on inside-out. Is this a guy thing? No... wait. I'm trying to visualize the topology as I write this. If you wear briefs inside-out, doesn't the fly thingie still work the same way? The overlapping flaps switch front-to-back, but they also switch left-to-right because you have to rotate them about the forward axis to account for inside-outing them.

.....

 

Now blouses and shirts are another thing. Who decided that boy buttons go on the right side and girl buttons on the left, but only for tops? For bottoms, it's anyone's guess where girl buttons and zippers go, but guys are always on the right, right?

 
Nooooooooooo it isn't inside out, in a twist. it is like on side is out side in and the other side is inside out. It is a theoretical condition that requires a distortion in the space time continuum to exist in the real world but the expression is never the less valid.

As for button gender I don't think that this is an approprate forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Madelaine McMasters wrote:

 

Who decided that boy buttons go on the right side and girl buttons on the left, but only for tops? For bottoms, it's anyone's guess where girl buttons and zippers go, but guys are always on the right, right?

http://www.primermagazine.com/2010/field-manual/why-do-men%E2%80%99s-and-women%E2%80%99s-shirts-button-on-different-sides

Though there’s no historical record or museum with an exhibit devoted to buttons (and/or factual logic as to why a person’s sex would have anything to do with said buttons’ orientation), most sources seem to cite the same simple rationale that dates back over a century.

 

Mens’ buttons are on the right side because men have always tended to dress themselves and most men (and women, for that matter) are right-handed.

 

Womens’ buttons are on the left side because years ago (say, during the Victorian Era), the women that could afford fancy clothing with a bunch of buttons would rely on maids to help dress them. So, if a servant (most of whom, naturally, would be right-handed) is going to routinely buttoning up a shirt/dress for someone else, that servant is going to prefer to have the buttons on their right side (which would be the left side of the garment).

[unquote]

 

Hmm.. for the pants, let's see...

Maybe some women preferred to button the pants themselves, being too shy to let a maid down there? :matte-motes-bashful:

Then some women just didn't care and let the maid do the buttoning, even down there.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Coby Foden wrote:


Madelaine McMasters wrote:

 

Who decided that boy buttons go on the right side and girl buttons on the left, but only for tops? For bottoms, it's anyone's guess where girl buttons and zippers go, but guys are always on the right, right?

Though there’s no historical record or museum with an exhibit devoted to buttons (and/or factual logic as to why a person’s sex would have anything to do with said buttons’ orientation), most sources seem to cite the same simple rationale that dates back over a century.

 

Mens’ buttons are on the right side because men have always tended to dress themselves and most men (and women, for that matter) are right-handed.

 

Womens’ buttons are on the left side because years ago (say, during the Victorian Era), the women that could afford fancy clothing with a bunch of buttons would rely on maids to help dress them. So, if a servant (most of whom, naturally, would be right-handed) is going to routinely buttoning up a shirt/dress for someone else, that servant is going to prefer to have the buttons on their right side (which would be the left side of the garment).

[unquote]

 

Hmm.. for the pants, let's see...

Maybe some women preferred to button the pants themselves, being too shy to let a maid down there? :matte-motes-bashful:

Then some women just didn't care and let the maid do the buttoning, even down there.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Yeah, I'd heard of that high falutin' explanation for blouse buttons. But, what about front hook bras, zippers on the left side of slacks, zippers on the right, in back, blouse buttons on a diagonal, buttons all the way up the sleeve?

You can see why guys undress us with their eyes. They don't stand a chance with their fingers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Pamela Galli wrote:

There have been dozens of threads about the demo problem. LL is not interested in fixing it. 

Pamela, we get the message! lol You don't have anything to gain by typing "LL are done with the MP" in almost every thread that involves the Marketplace.

I understand you're frustrated and angry but the forums shouldn't be a form of therapy for your anger and trying to rouse others to feel as you do is not likely to work either.

I too depend (partially) on SL for my RL bills too but there are some things I cannot control so I have to think of a work around because spending too much time in the forums venting is certainly not going to increase sales.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


LillyBeth Filth wrote:


Pamela Galli wrote:

There have been dozens of threads about the demo problem. LL is not interested in fixing it. 

Pamela, we get the message! lol You don't have anything to gain by typing "LL are done with the MP" in almost every thread that involves the Marketplace.

I understand you're frustrated and angry but the forums shouldn't be a form of therapy for your anger and trying to rouse others to feel as you do is not likely to work either.

I too depend (partially) on SL for my RL bills too but there are some things I cannot control so I have to think of a work around because spending too much time in the forums venting is certainly not going to increase sales.

 

Who put a bee in your bonnet?   I am simply informing people who are making helpful suggestions about how to improve the marketplace, that there is no one at LL who is listening -- and the reason why.  You can see that as "angry"; I am simply informing people of what is obviously news to some. 

Why that revelation seems "mean" to some, I do not know. 

Seriously, get a grip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually a checkbox would be better than a category.

Much easier on LL database architechture.

And also easier on users because they could untick a "include demos" in their refine search options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Pamela Galli wrote:


LillyBeth Filth wrote:


Pamela Galli wrote:

There have been dozens of threads about the demo problem. LL is not interested in fixing it. 

Pamela, we get the message! lol You don't have anything to gain by typing "LL are done with the MP" in almost every thread that involves the Marketplace.

I understand you're frustrated and angry but the forums shouldn't be a form of therapy for your anger and trying to rouse others to feel as you do is not likely to work either.

I too depend (partially) on SL for my RL bills too but there are some things I cannot control so I have to think of a work around because spending too much time in the forums venting is certainly not going to increase sales.

 

Who put a bee in your bonnet?   I am simply informing people who are making helpful suggestions about how to improve the marketplace, that there is no one at LL who is listening -- and the reason why.  You can see that as "angry"; I am simply informing people of what is obviously news to some. 

Why that revelation seems "mean" to some, I do not know. 

Seriously, get a grip!

I am not the one with a bee in her bonnet... you started a whole thread on the subject and told people to shut up as you defend your opinion (As that's all it is) 

And I quote "

"Unlike you, I am not a casual user of the marketplace, or a user of the customer end of it only.

I have been supporting my family with my SL business for five years; I daily monitor this forum and others for ANY developments that would affect my livlihood. Any tiny developments or breakage or fixes, in either the customer or merchant ends, I NOTICE"

I was trying to say  in a light hearted,  joking manner (Or at least that was the intention) that whilst I can relate to your obvious frustration, there is nothing you/we can do over things you/we cannot control and venting/posting in multiple threads over the same topic is doing nothing constructive to resolve the actual issue, even if it is done so in a passive aggressive manner.

Then to prove my point that you have emotional conviction, you respond to some unrelated thread which I posted in,  accusing me of being "angry and paranoid" 

There's a reason why people spend so much time in forums and very rarely a positive one and that's why I don't tend to do forums because what ever you say or suggest someone somewhere will take issue with it and have a rant. 

Sorry that I apparently added fuel to your flames. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


LillyBeth Filth wrote:



I am not the one with a bee in her bonnet... you started a whole thread on the subject and told people to shut up as you defend your opinion (As that's all it is) 

 

I certainly did not tell anyone to shut up!  If you are going to make a claim like this, then quote it.  Jacob Cagney told me to shut up.

As you see, I have not shut up, and will continue to inform people who clearly are under the impression that there are developers busily working on the marketplace who are interested in suggestions on how to improve it, that we have zero evidence work is being done -- and my guess is that it will not be, unless policy changes. Marketplace, now the center of our economy, has been inexplicably cut loose, and is now adrift.

Evidently some think I am just being mean for saying such awful things, and like you, have attacked me for doing so.  But people need to know the reality of the situation, and LL has thus far declined to inform us either that they are working on anything marketplace related, or as seems to be the case, are not working on anything and will not be.  But a look at Marketplace release notes shows the last one was July 2013. After that, nothing. Draw whatever conclusions you will from that; I take it as further evidence of my contention that LL is done with MP. What you see, however trivial many improvements might be to make, is what you get.

Some people just really hate dealing with reality, and I get that, but for those who choose to believe in the absence of evidence that there is a team secretly and silently working on Marketplace improvements and fixes, (preparing as Perrie says to surprise us at Christmas!) here is my advice:

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Pamela Galli wrote:


LillyBeth Filth wrote:



I am not the one with a bee in her bonnet... you started a whole thread on the subject and told people to shut up as you defend your opinion (As that's all it is) 

 

I certainly did not tell anyone to shut up!  If you are going to make a claim like this, then quote it.  Jacob Cagney told
me
to shut up.

As you see, I have not shut up, and will continue to inform people who clearly are under the impression that there are developers busily working on the marketplace who are interested in suggestions on how to improve it, that we have zero evidence work is being done -- and my guess is that it will not be, unless policy changes. Marketplace, now the center of our economy, has been inexplicably cut loose, and is now adrift.

Evidently some think I am just being mean for saying such awful things, and like you, have attacked me for doing so.  But people need to know the reality of the situation, and LL has thus far declined to inform us either that they are working on anything marketplace related, or as seems to be the case, are not working on anything and will not be.  But a look at Marketplace release notes shows the last one was July 2013. After that, nothing. Draw whatever conclusions you will from that; I take it as further evidence of my contention that LL is done with MP. What you see, however trivial many improvements might be to make, is what you get.

Some people just really hate dealing with reality, and I get that, but for those who choose to believe in the absence of evidence that there is a team secretly and silently working on Marketplace improvements and fixes, (preparing as Perrie says to surprise us at Christmas!) here is my advice:

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you."

jeeeez are we still banging on about this?  

Next! 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


LillyBeth Filth wrote:


Pamela Galli wrote:


LillyBeth Filth wrote:



I am not the one with a bee in her bonnet... you started a whole thread on the subject and told people to shut up as you defend your opinion (As that's all it is) 

 

I certainly did not tell anyone to shut up!  If you are going to make a claim like this, then quote it.  Jacob Cagney told
me
to shut up.

As you see, I have not shut up, and will continue to inform people who clearly are under the impression that there are developers busily working on the marketplace who are interested in suggestions on how to improve it, that we have zero evidence work is being done -- and my guess is that it will not be, unless policy changes. Marketplace, now the center of our economy, has been inexplicably cut loose, and is now adrift.

Evidently some think I am just being mean for saying such awful things, and like you, have attacked me for doing so.  But people need to know the reality of the situation, and LL has thus far declined to inform us either that they are working on anything marketplace related, or as seems to be the case, are not working on anything and will not be.  But a look at Marketplace release notes shows the last one was July 2013. After that, nothing. Draw whatever conclusions you will from that; I take it as further evidence of my contention that LL is done with MP. What you see, however trivial many improvements might be to make, is what you get.

Some people just really hate dealing with reality, and I get that, but for those who choose to believe in the absence of evidence that there is a team secretly and silently working on Marketplace improvements and fixes, (preparing as Perrie says to surprise us at Christmas!) here is my advice:

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you."

jeeeez are we still banging on about this?  

Next! 

 

 

 

Banging on about the fact that one of my primary business tools has been left crippled and half done? Without a single word from LL about it?

What do you think?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...