New skins are slow/refusing to rezz...what should I try?

IndiaRose Muircastle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi all!

I purchased some skins this evening and have been trying them on.  It was a large package from a skin creator who is changing over their line, so I know I have to anticipate that each "flip" might take a little while.  The problem is, once I change a skin or two, I seem to freeze up, either with the skin not changing or getting stuck with my face looking like mush.

I was logged on earlier when there were server issues, and logged off for a bit until they got resolved.  I purchased the skins after that, and that is when the problems started.

When it first happened an hour or so ago I was literally stuck and the new skin would not come off, even with a rebake (alt-ctrl-R). I also could not see any clothing, even though my viewer claimed I was wearing the outfit I had chosen.  (I could literally only see the top part of the shoes I was wearing, the rest of me was nekkid, eek!)  I logged off and cleared cache.  Since then I have been able to change skins, but it is very, VERY slow, and is getting stuck again. The only thing that has helped at all is going back in the "pile" and putting on a skin that rezzed previously, then trying again.  Now even that is not working.

If anyone has any ideas of what else i could try, I would love to hear them!  I could send in a ticket and see if the server is still having issues, but I wanted to try all other options first. :-)

Thanks,

IndiaRose

7 answers to this question

Hi Faubio, and thanks for your reply.

I have already tried that exact technique to resolve the problem.  I went to preferences > network > clear cache and clicked the button, then logged off and logged back into SL.  I also tried doing that and then restarting my PC.  The problem is not resolved. 

For example, I am in my SL home right now and after changing skins three times with success I am stuck.  The one I chose as #4 has not come up after a wait of over 5 minutes.  I also cannot change hair, nor can I change into any other skin or outfit except for something I wore a day or so ago... it is as though I can only go backwards through my inventory, if that makes sense at all? 

I have not yet tried to log in on the beta grid, but I could do that.  I also wonder if this could be an unresolved "glitch" from the issues that LL had on the grid earlier this evening.  I do not want to send in a ticket and flood the system with unneeded complaints since they are already busy... but reloading cache on Aditi can be such a pain, hehehe!  I want to exhaust all options before having to do either extreme.

I wonder if it is a sim issue, and if I need to ask for a restart?  Any thoughts on what would suggest or warrant a request for a restart would be greatly appreciated.  I don't want to put my landlords to any trouble if there is something I could do for myself.

Thanks,

IndiaRose

I think you have some bad skins and I'd get rid of them anyway I could. If you bought them then contact the creator about this.

There are two other possibilities however,

That you have some sort of hang up in the viewer software so reload the viewer software. The second is an error on your hard drive(s). If your using Windows run a check disk/disk check..

I'd try another viewer first before doing these suggestions and remove them using it, if possible, that way.

http://emerald.modularsystems.sl/

(If you haven't used emerald it's very good. I recommend it.)

• Like 1

Thanks, running a different viewer is a good idea, and so is doing a HD check.

It is not just the skins, it is everything I try to use or wear right now, even things that I have owned for ages and have never been a problem.  The skins are new, so trying them on is what alerted me to the problem. Things rezz fine if I log off and back on after a few changes. 

It might sound silly, but normally I can sit and change clothes/skins/hair/shoes endlessly with only a small lag.  This is just strange.  I'm not even getting a notice that "something is pending for that spot" or "the item cannot be found in the database."  IMs from my friends seem to be lagging quite a bit as well.  I am getting some on email even before they show up in SL... huh?

I use Emerald, but I know there is an update from the version I am using (1635) and I could update my LL viewer to the 2.1 version.  I also have not cleaned my PC cache in a while!  I use CCleaner, I will try that tomorrow.

Errrrr, rather....later today... sees the clock and winces

Take care,

IndiaRose

I wanted to stop in and give a quick update.  Faubio, thanks for your suggestions!

I was offline yesterday due to some RL issues, but was able to do a cleanup of my system during that time.  So, I checked my HD for errors, cleaned the computer cache and registry, and did a defrag of the hard drive.  I also cleared the SL cache again and logged in today after the inventory server maintenance had happened.

It seems a few other folks on my sim were having similar issues, so it may have been an issue there, and I believe they did a sim restart yesterday.

Everything is working much more smoothly for me now, and I am able to flip skins and outfits and shoes like pancakes ;-)  I am going to try and make a regular practice of checking my HD for errors and doing defrags and so on.  My PC is only a few months old, so there is not a lot on there to check, but I forget that checking it regularly will keep things that way!

Thanks again for your help!

IndiaRose

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.