Someone is claiming I'm his alt

Travis Harbrough

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5019 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have recently become aware that an abusive person is active in SL and has told two of the people he is harassing and abusing that my avatar is one of his own alts.  This, of course, has created problems for me with the two people he has told this to.  Through the use of voice chat, I have cleared up this misunderstanding with the two people involved as they had been in voice chat with him before and knew his voice well enough to tell that I wasn't him.  But what can I do to be pro-active and get him to stop telling people that I am him?  Should I submit an abuse report or would that simply further cloud the identity theft issue?

7 answers to this question

For the life of me, I cannot understand what advantage someone would have by claiming you are their alt.  You've already solve the problem with 2 people.  So now you have people to back you up. I suppose you could put a note in your profile but even that seems unnecessary.  If it were me, I'd just ignore it and move on.

--Cinn

The advantage would be that any abuse reports directed at him and any of his alts, including false alts, would call into question the validity of the reporter's statements as the ones against false alts would in effect be false reports.  This confuses the issue in favor of the guy doing the abusing because he now has ammunition to say to the Lindens that the reporter is just an unstable person and is filing random reports on people.  I probably should have mentioned that I don't know this person and have never met him before but he did use personal information about me in order to convince the other two women that I was his alt.  The information could easily have been obtained from my profile and from attending one of my stand-up comedy shows at various clubs in SL.  The fact is, he had convinced these two women that I was his alt, and he may have others convinced of that fact.  At least one of them has filed an abuse report against him.  My concern is that there may be others out there whom he has told that I am his alt and who might in the future file an abuse report against me in the belief that they are filing it against him.

Abuse reports are not resolved on what the person ARing says is what happened or what occured to warrant an abuse report in the first place.  Someone abuse reporting him and naming you as one of his alts would be found to be false immediately by the Abuse Team...........the AR would most likely hit the trash bin immediately after that.  LL has all the pertinent information on the data base that they refer to for conformation of any reported activitly warranting an AR.  Anyone including false or guessed at information about someone not involved is likely to get a little warning of their own for filing a false AR.  You're safe as long as you keep your nose clean.

Linden knows who's who.  If this person is harrassing people, the focus should be on that.  You seem to be of the belief that Linden investigates abuse reports the way RL cops investigates crime.  I've always assumed they have a much better method since they know where you are, who is with you and what is being said.

--Cinn

• Like 1

Yes, that's very annoying.  I would mute this person.  I would also put a notice in my Picks, saying something like, "I am not Joe Schmuck's alt.  Please be warned that Joe Schmuck is a griefer and manipulator.  I strongly suggest you have nothing to do with him."  Do NOT name-call, reveal RL information, or say anything that is not true and checkable...so you don't get AR'd yourself by Joe.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5019 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.