Video card driver problem

Ricco Saenz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2691 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I cannot run any SL viewer, because I keep getting a message saying that "Second Life is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or are for unsupported hardware". I know many users have already had this problem, but I could not find an answer on this topic providing a step-by-step guide to solve it.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit and I had to reinstall my OS. Before reinstalling it, my SL viewer was working fine, I had no problem. Then, I made a full re-installation (not just an update), downloaded the SL viewer again and started receiving that message about my video card. My system has the following characteristics:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7200 2.53GHz

Video card driver: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1)

What's particularly intriguing here is the fact that, before reinstalling my OS, everything was working fine - and now the viewer does not run. Does anyone know what can be done about this problem? Thanks in advance.

13 answers to this question

It's likely the Windows reinstallation has resulted in your graphics card using a generic Windows driver for display as seemingly this can happen.

Also, if you did reinstall the Nvidia driver you should reinstall it again as there has been a problem between Nvidia cards and SL in this respect.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/NVIDIA_drivers_appear_to_be_causing_problems_with_the_Second_Life_viewer

Use the latest driver for your card. The Nvidia link is at the bottom of this page:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Graphics_Cards

Nyll

Thank you, it worked and SL is running again on my computer. I found lots of general references to the problem I was having, including JIRA topics on that error message since 2007 - but none seemed to address the specific conditions I was facing. Again, thank you.

thnx

Ricco Saenz wrote:

I cannot run any SL viewer, because I keep getting a message saying that "Second Life is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or are for unsupported hardware". I know many users have already had this problem, but I could not find an answer on this topic providing a step-by-step guide to solve it.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit and I had to reinstall my OS. Before reinstalling it, my SL viewer was working fine, I had no problem. Then, I made a full re-installation (not just an update), downloaded the SL viewer again and started receiving that message about my video card. My system has the following characteristics:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7200 2.53GHz

Video card driver: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1)

What's particularly intriguing here is the fact that, before reinstalling my OS, everything was working fine - and now the viewer does not run. Does anyone know what can be done about this problem? Thanks in advance.

Video card driver problem

on ‎06-24-2010 06:17 AM

I am running Windows 7 64-bit and I had to reinstall my OS. Before reinstalling it, my SL viewer was working fine, I had no problem. Then, I made a full re-installation (not just an update), downloaded the SL viewer again and started receiving that message about my video card. My system has the following characteristics

What's particularly intriguing here is the fact that, before reinstalling my OS, everything was working fine - and now the viewer does not run. Does anyone know what can be done about this problem? Thanks in advance

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2691 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.