Mesh hat attachment point prob

insilvermoonlight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3510 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, so I've been working with this full perm mesh hat template, my problem is when I linked it to my root prim, (so I can put my name as creator,) it won't attach to my head anymore. I tried the attach to: body part and then edited it into place but it is still moving around on top of her head. Original attach point for the hat was her right hand, I'm also wearing a mesh dress with the same attach point. Also why can I link mesh clothing to a root prim and they still attach to her right hand, but this hat wont? Thanks for your help :)

insilvermoonlight wrote:

Hello, so I've been working with this full perm mesh hat template, my problem is when I linked it to my root prim, (so I can put my name as creator,) it won't attach to my head anymore. I tried the attach to: body part and then edited it into place but it is still moving around on top of her head. Original attach point for the hat was her right hand, I'm also wearing a mesh dress with the same attach point. Also why can I link mesh clothing to a root prim and they still attach to her right hand, but this hat wont? Thanks for your help
:)

It seems to me that the hat is rigged, which it really should not be. It's not bad to rig hat, but if the person sells it full perm, then the person buying it has less options as to how it will work. The only way something can attach to your hand, or any other part, and still be on their head, is if it is rigged. The bottom line is, that hat's don't need to be rigged. You gain no advantage rigging a hat to the head. It actually makes fitting the hat to everyone impossible. I would ask for a none rigged version.

• Like 1

insilvermoonlight wrote:

Hmm, you know I had thought of that, but went back to check and the listing says it's non-rigged. Is there a way to tell in world? I have notecarded the creator but still haven't heard back. It's just frustrating because I'd like to put this behind me and move on with another project.

Like I said, if the hat attaches to your hand, but it sit on your head and moves with your head, then it is rigged. It can't happen that way without being rigged. If it wasn't rigged, then if you attached it to your hand, it would move with your hand, not with your head, reguardless of where it is moved to. Then again tho, maybe I'm reading your post wrong.

Got it, problem solved. I was incorrect, original attach point was the skull. Once I attached to the skull again and repositioned it is fine and behaving as it should. So I think I understand that when I put the root prim into the non-rigged item it defaulted to hand attachment. But it doesn't do this with rigged mesh because, well it's rigged?  Which still leaves me with the question, what are the differenced in attach points in relationship to the garment? In other words is it critical that you attach a hat to the skull, a necklace to the spine or chest, etc? 

To understand how attachment points work with mesh items, you must understand how mesh items work on a basic level. The two basic types are rigged and unrigged, and while there are subtypes, those are not important to know for what you're trying to do.

The idea is, that when you attach a rigged item, it will always attach to the same part(s) of the body, because it is rigged. Rigging is basically adding extra data to a mesh item before upload that tells it how to fit on the SL body, and how to move with it. Rigging cannot be disabled; if you wanted an unrigged version, you'd have to ask the creator to upload an unrigged one if they haven't already.

Unrigged items are simply that - not rigged. They did not have that extra data added to them before upload, so they don't know where on the body to snap to when you attach them, and they do not bend at all. For these items, they need to be told where on the body to anchor to, via attachment points. All non-mesh objects work like this as well.

Long story short, no matter where you attach a rigged item, it will always go where the rigging tells it. If it changes position whenever you attach it to a different spot, then it's not rigged. I may have been a bit redundant, but it's all in the name of clarity.

• Like 1

Thank you Billybob. I do understand all that you explained. I guess what I was trying to get at was, regarding unrigged items, I have had unpredictable results in attaching them. For instance with this hat. I had originally tried to attach to the neck, but that resulted in the hat swaying around on the head. It wasn't until I attached to the skull that it started to behave the way it should. So my question is, why did the neck attachment not work? I have had similar unsatidfactory results with prims as well. For instance when I tried to make nipple rings and attached to the left and right pecs, they waved around and would not stay put. So there lies my delimma.

insilvermoonlight wrote:

So I think I understand that when I put the root prim into the non-rigged item it defaulted to hand attachment. But it doesn't do this with rigged mesh because, well it's rigged?

Yes and no. An object will always (re)attach to the last point it was attached to reagrdless whether it's a prim, sculpt, regular mesh or rigged mesh. If it has never been attached to an avatar, it will default to right hand. If the object is a linkset, it's only the root prim that counts, any attachment points the child prims may have had are simply ignored.

In your case, the root prim defaulted to the right hand. The hat was a child prim so its previous attachment point simply didn't matter.

• Like 1

insilvermoonlight wrote:

It wasn't until I attached to the skull that it started to behave the way it should. So my question is, why did the neck attachment not work? I have had similar unsatidfactory results with prims as well. For instance when I tried to make nipple rings and attached to the left and right pecs, they waved around and would not stay put. So there lies my delimma.

The neck moves in different way than the skull does. So if you attach a hat to the neck then naturally the hat does not follow the movement of the skull - it moves with the neck movement.

As for the nipple rings - you attach them to the chest. Then they stay in the same same place with the boobs. You can attach the nipple rings also to spine; that works as well. The pecs move in different way from the boobs - as you saw when attaching the nipple rings on pecs.

• Like 1

Just to restate as while I understand the issue but I am thinking new folks might still be confused .... :D

Each type of attachment will have a place to attach. So boots go to the lower leg, NOT the fee as if you attach to the feet the whole boots moves when your foot move. Necklaces, scarves etc can be spine OR chest, Bracelets attach to lower arms rather than hands unless it is a bracelet that falls below the wrist -- etc. etc.

So each  non-rigged item (mesh, prim, sculpt doesn't matter) needs to be TOLD where to attach to. So when your item is finished you right click and do the Attach To > choice and pick from the list. IMPORTANT (not for you as I suspect you know this) you need to detach and reattach the item in order for it to REMEMBER where it goes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3510 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.