putting stuff in "favorites" folder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For some reason (or arbitrary, idiotic excuse) or other, I can only put SOME things into my favorites folder. EG: SOMETIMES I can create a subfolder for items from one creator, and stick it in another subfolder inside "favorites" and SOMETIMES I can't. I just created a subfolder for stuff from one creator and tried sticking it in my "favorite undies" subfolder inside "favorites" and can't. Other times I have no problem doing stuff like that. 

WTF is the point in having a "favorites" folder if SL chooses what can go in and what can't? And who's the witless wonder that comes up with these moronic ideas anyways?

Annalise Ember wrote:

For some reason (or arbitrary, idiotic excuse) or other, I can only put SOME things into my favorites folder. EG: SOMETIMES I can create a subfolder for items from one creator, and stick it in another subfolder inside "favorites" and SOMETIMES I can't. I just created a subfolder for stuff from one creator and tried sticking it in my "favorite undies" subfolder inside "favorites" and can't. Other times I have no problem doing stuff like that. 

WTF is the point in having a "favorites" folder if SL chooses what can go in and what can't? And who's the witless wonder that comes up with these moronic ideas anyways?

The Favorites folder is for Landmarks, not for stuff. Putting a landmark into that folder and enabling the Favorite bar allows you to TP quickly to a favorite location without having to pull one up from inventory or TP history. It also allows you to login directly to one of those favorites from the login screen. 

The witless wonder who came up with the moronic idea probably should have prevented the ability to add anything to that folder other than landmarks. 

I also assumed the Favorites folder was for me to use as I wished & put favorite objects into it. I later learned it was specifically for Landmarks & emptied it, after some people scared me that my favorite objects might get lost there. Now it is empty & unused, another great idea from Linden Lab.

Annalise Ember wrote:

Well, thank you!

Another idea would have been if "Witless Wonder" would have called the "Favorites" folder something like "FavoriteLMs".

Unfreakinbelievable. lmao

The "Favorites" folder is hidden in the Linden Lab viewer so you can't put anything in it by mistake. The only reason you're seeing it is you're using a viewer that chooses to un-hide it.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Annalise Ember wrote:

Well, thank you!

Another idea would have been if "Witless Wonder" would have called the "Favorites" folder something like "FavoriteLMs".

Unfreakinbelievable. lmao

The "Favorites" folder is hidden in the Linden Lab viewer so you can't put anything in it by mistake. The only reason you're seeing it is you're using a viewer that chooses to un-hide it.

It's only hidden if it's empty. The debug setting ShowEmptyFoldersWhenSearching (Show folders that do not have any visible contents when applying a filter to inventory) defaults to FALSE. With Firestorm viewer, this setting is exposed in Preferences -  Firestorm - General subtab - Hide empty system folders from inventory. 

• 4 months later...

I would like to see sub-folders so I can organize my favorite LM's into Categories.  My reasoning was that even with two monitors I could only get 20 some favorites up there, more if I really condensed the names.  So, I thought it would be nice if I could put all my building LMs in one folder, all my shopping lms in another, all my RP lms in yet another etc.  I made the suggestion to Firestorm, but my jira was closed immediately as my suggestion "would not be implemented."

Ansariel Hiller added a comment - 2014-12-29T10:08:51-0500

Closing as won't implement. This would just duplicate the normal Landmarks folder. And favorites are called favorites, because they resemble a few, most important items - not dozen.

http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-15288

Katerina Kirax wrote:

HUDS? For your inventory? I've been trying to organize my 180k inventory for seven years. Tell me more please!

How many duplicates do you have?  ;)

Sadly these inventory sorters don't do what you may be thinking.  You need to sort your inventory into them. 

Katerina Kirax wrote:

Omg, duplicates, who knows. What i really need is some way to sort by date. Ie, just show me the stuff i acquired in 2007, not everything since 2007 the way the date filters currenty works.

It would be nice if the filters worked that way.  Might make a good feature suggestion in the JIRA, though I'd be surprised if it hadn't been suggested.

What I did was commit myself to a few minutes every day to cleaning up my inventory.  Over time I wound up with a lean clean inventory.  Other than back ups which are packed into boxes by category, I don't think I have a single duplicate in Inventory now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.