So where will SL set the new script limits?

Faubio Alter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5053 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

The current system wide measures for scripts running on SIMs are

Active Scripts

and

Script Events

Using these measures I'd say

Active scripts                        Script events            

A  range                           9000-6000                                700-400   

Best guess                         7000                                          600

Is it possible they will measure it in a new way?

What a mess this ones going to make. This will make the spill in the Gulf look like a drop in a bucket. Wow! LOL

11 answers to this question

Script Events are not going to be limited because it is a performance measurement.  Also known as Script Performance, it is the number of LSL opcodes being executed a second by the simulator. Note  that this is the number of ACTUAL instructions executed in the last  second, not the theoretical maximum opcodes/second. If your simulator is  not running very many scripts, this number will be low even if  performance is good.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Statistics_Bar_Guide

Also, your description of Active Scripts is misleading.  You have to take Active Objects AND Active Scripts into account when looking at these statistics.

Active Objects - The number of objects containing active scripts  on the simulator. This value does not include scripts inside  attachments, unless the attachment wearer is sitting on a scripted  object.

Active Scripts - The number of running scripts that are currently  on the simulator, including scripts attached to agents and objects.

So a sim owner (or Linden for that matter) can't just look at the total number of Active Scripts and start tossing objects overboard.   That's because the Active Script number includes the scripts attached to avatars.  To make it more complicated, Active Objects counts the object as 1 even if it contains 5 scripts.  Active Scripts picks up all scripts running on the simulator.

So a couple live examples - Both sims running lag free at the moment:

Sim #1:  Main Agents - 2  Active Objects - 856  Active Scripts - 6416

Sim #2: Main Agents - 13 Active Objects - 847 Active Scripts - 8208

So almost the same number of Active Objects but one sim has 13 ppl and the other 2.  Note that both sims are runnng with Time Dilation at 0.99 and Sim FPS at 45  which is a measure of a lag free sim.

--Cinn

Yes, I read this unclear and largely out dated irrelevant dribble from the wiki concerning active scripts and script events.

Yes, I understand your example

The OP question is where do you think the new limits will be?

So a sim owner (or Linden for that matter) can't just look at the total  number of Active Scripts and start tossing objects overboard.

Sure they can ....... max number 700-400 passive and/or active scripted objects =300 on average. Uses/AVs including expected style of dress and AO/Hud effects 50 = 250 script processes  equals a balance of 50 available for over runs and other unexpected situations. Is is precise? No. Is it realistic? Yes.. Does it need continual tweaking to remain realistic? Unfortunately, yes? Yes, yes this is a hypothetical situation.

Message was edited by: Faubio.Alter

Scripts will be limited per parcel and per avatar.  Speculating about what level LL will set the limit at is pointless until they do actually make some announcement.  With the recent layoffs and apparent change of focus even when/if they will go ahead with limits is just a guess.

• Like 1

Agreed.  Kinda like the Xstreet fees that were slated to start in January.

In the mean time we can create confusion and panic.  Sim owners tossing out renters because their neighbors say they have too many scripted objects.  Piles of Hippo vendors burned in the town square.  Avatar strip searches prior to sim entry.  Sloppy scripters shot on sight.  Much more fun that way. :-P

--Cinn

Limits are by script memory. From my understanding the target for *overall* script memory per sim will be 200 megs. That will have to be divided amongst avatars (attachment memory pool) and parcels (land memory pool).

The 100,000 $L question is how these pools will be allocated. LL hasn't given an indication yet. But having sat down and did my own math, i just know likely nobody will be very happy about the new limits. To give either group a sizable pool, will come at the expense of the other.

• Like 1

Oooooh! I volunteer to bring the fire starters, and to do the strip searches on the female line at the entry point!

And, can we tar and feather the scripters instead? It's really much more enjoyable. And, run them out on a rail - it's fun to see them hit the sim edge when going really fast down that rail!

Conlaoch.Gustav wrote:

And, can we tar and feather the scripters instead? It's really much more enjoyable. And, run them out on a rail - it's fun to see them hit the sim edge when going really fast down that rail!

That could work!  Do you know anyone that can write a tar & feather script? :-D

--Cinn

My crystal ball says there will be announcements soon.

Lets not forget the scape goat is mono that allegedly uses more memory then LSL,  big oops for SL on that one. Here's a thought buy more memory.  Hmmm, don't we have a boat load of new servers running SL these days.

Those most effected will be the merchants. I'd expect a mercantile shop shortage. In the end vast stores of marketable products will go poof instead thus ending the over abundance of crappy old stuff. Zap, another vendor script bites the dust.

Things are often not as they appear. :-)

No,the skies not falling, it's baking us but that's not funny. :-(

Yes I've heard that

With the recent layoffs

Lets put that in perspective at least SL's profits are in the range of $500,000,000.00++ US. They have 350 employees accord to their CFO. Certainly cost is not the reason in fact they should add a 1000. In fact, why aren't they?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5053 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.