When 2 persons buy land for the same group

Muletta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3538 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am reading and trying to learn, what happens when 2 owners both deed and buy land to the same group.

In the Knowledge base I read this, but I do not quite understand what it means...Can anyone explain in other words, please?

Buying land for a group

Before purchasing, confirm that your group's land allocation is equal to or higher than the size of the parcel, and that your active group is the group for which you wish to buy the parcel.

Excess group land

If at any time a group owns more land than they have land contributions for, Linden Lab contacts the founder of the group. Groups members must contribute more land tier credits to the group or release land within 72 hours, or the group risks losing some of their land.

There are a couple recent threads in the Land sub-forum on this same issue. You can also ask questions in the Answers section & usually get good responses there.

Basically, be careful not to buy more land than you or your group can afford, since this will either cause your tier to go up automatically or risk having some or all of your land forfitted back to Linden Lab. There is a 10% bonus for land held by a group, rather than an individual. However, using this option means you have to really understand what you're doing, so you don't screw up something by mistake.

I am sorry if I have posted this question in the wrong place...but I think I will not start a new thread elsewhere now, so I risk to push others threads down.

Yes, I am aware of that I have to be sure what I do, and that is why I have been reading and reading in this forum, how to do things right. - I understand the words, but I am not sure that I understand the meaning of them put together :)...

So any help will be appreciated ...

I'm sorry & don't mean to sound like I'm snapping at you.

I suggested the Answers section because technical questions about how SL works usually get better answers there. People who get postitive feedback for giving a good answer in the Answers section get points, so they have an extra incentive to help there.

The Land section is also a good place to ask these kinds of questions, and you did start a thread there already. (I also mistakenly thought you were asking this question in the General General Section, rather than in the Land General section.)

Continuing to ask for clarification in a thread you've already started is probably a more effective way of getting more in depth answers, rather than starting a new thread, because the people who have already responded once, may be following that thread already.

Muletta wrote:

Before purchasing, confirm that your group's land allocation is equal to or higher than the size of the parcel
, and that your active group is the group for which you wish to buy the parcel.

If you look under the Lands/Assets tab in the group info window, you'll see among other things how much land the group has available, that is, how much land tier has been allocated to the group but not used. If that is enough to cover the land you want to buy, then  you can just buy it on behalf pf the group. If not, you have to - if I remember correctly - buy it yourself and then deed it to the group. Remember to check the "Owner Makes Contribution With Deed" checkbox when you do. What happens then is that some of your personal land allocation is assigned to the group along with the land. Be careful though, if you don't have enough land allocation avaiable, LL wil automatically increase your tier, that is your monthly pay.

Important note here: Each group member who has contributed to the group's land allocation is responsible for paying the tier for their part.

If at any time a group owns more land than they have land contributions for, Linden Lab contacts the founder of the group.
Groups members must contribute more land tier credits to the group or release land within 72 hours, or the group risks losing some of their land.

A group member who has contributed to the group's land allocation can withdraw it any time they like, or they can leave the group, or SL, or they can simply fail to pay their tier.

This means a group can end up owning more land than its land allocations allows. When that happens, the group has 72 hours to sort it out - either they have to give up some land or one or more of the members have to transfer more of their private land allocations to the group. If the group hasn't managed to sovle the problem within 72 hours, LL will just autmoatically take some of the group's land away from them.

Thank you ChinRey - Things are getting more and more clear for me now (finally) :)

I understand things this way, that it is important that the deeding person oneself, remembers to always update the amount of deeded land, in the tab in the group - both when buying or selling? It does not happen per default, as I understand it...so that the contributed land always shows ecactly, the correct amount of deeded sqm's ?

The monthly land-fee-part and the levels, I think I am fully aware of.

Muletta wrote:

I understand things this way, that it is important that the deeding person oneself, remembers to always update the amount of deeded land, in the tab in the group - both when buying or selling? It does not happen per default, as I understand it...so that the contributed land always shows ecactly, the correct amount of deeded sqm's ?

I don't remember exactly how things work when you buy for the group directly but. You won't be able to do it unless the group has enough land allocation of course and I seem to remember you had to assing allocation in advance.

If you first buy for yourself and then deed to the group - which is what I usually do - you have the option to assign land allocation as you transfer. The info windows you get when you do it that way aren't very clear but ll you need to do is click both the checkboxes in the land info window before deeding.

If you want to return some of the group's land allocation back to you, you have to do it manually - in the group info window. You should be a little bit careful when you do that. The 10% group land "bonus" can mess up the exact calculation there and it's quite possible the group end up with a m2 or two in minus. No big deal, just check the figure after you've withdrawn some allocation and return some if neccesary.

Usually it doesn't matter if the group has exactly the right land allocation. If you're a landowner with a portfolio even slightly more complex than a single private plot, you almost certainly have a little bit of unused allocation and it doesn't matter if that is assigned to a group or not.

I may be wrong here but I think that if you want to reduce you tier, you have to do that manually to. Go to the SL website, select "Land owner fee" under the buy land tab and click on the tier level you need.

Thank you again for your response ChinRey, you have really helped me a lot, and I appreciate your help very much :)

I may be wrong here but I think that if you want to reduce you tier, you have to do that manually to. Go to the SL website, select "Land owner fee" under the buy land tab and click on the tier level you need.

You remember correctly. I have recently sold a big group-owned land, and I had to do as you say here, so you are right, it is very important to remember to change level yourself, after reducing tier.

I have always been the only one, to own land in the group, but now we will soon be two persons with land deeded to that group, so I am happy for your help, to do this right too :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3538 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.