Ebbe Linden in-world discussion on the next generation virtual world

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"My point is, that Professional is not as objective as you would think, especially for 3D assets."

Exactly my point, Medhue. Professionalism cannot polish up a lousy design. It only can enhance a good design. I don´t care much about professionalism or claimed professionalism in SL. Either something works in a given environment or it does not, while "working design" does not only include working visuals but functionality, usability and whatever else the environment requires, too. The metaverse isn´t only about 3D, 3D is only one piece of the puzzle.

When I first ran inro Drongles home on the atoll a loooong time ago his design impressed me. And it´s still a great and working  design, and it´s just prims - and he´s not selling it. While, on the other hand, I have seen a whole bunch of disfunctional, terrible, distorting, supehighpoly, excessively textured, not navigatable stuff (in all formats) all over SL bugging down the system which was and is sold with a somewhat professional claim. The metaverse isn´t only about commerce, commerce is only one piece of the puzzle.

Hence the great thing about SL. You didn't need to be a professional 3D artist, which led to people like myself and others to learn. SL's free market allowed people like myself to engage with it and learn what the market wanted and needed. What I have learned from it all, is that no matter what the level, there is always a market for you. Not everyone wants or needs Motion capture, or a 3D model made in Blender. Price is always a consideration. My MP store is a reflection of that. I have products in there from when I started, up until 1 from a week ago. They all have a place in the market.

People who build wasteful models, will eventually learn. The market will drive them to learn, or adjust. It won't happen overnight, but the pressures are constantly there. For those that don't take their business as seriously, they likely won't learn as fast, as they have little interest. Those that want to really make a successful business out of it all, will constantly be learning and adjusting. In a free market, there will always be newbies, and less knowledgable people entering the market, so it is easy to point at this or that and say it is bad. The question is really what creates the best results, and I would contend that only the free market can do that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.