Updated.... 2.1, the best yet?

Suspiria Finucane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

25 answers to this question

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

I have to say the new 2.1 alpha (version 2.02) is better than ever.

Eum... Of course it is better. It is assumed that a new version is better than the previous version. It would be a disaster that the viewer 2.0.2 was worse than the viewer 2.0.1.

I'll grant that they fixed some things.

Allowing the option to have the sidebar slide over the world view, instead of body-slamming it to one side, is a major improvement. That one aspect was one of the things that most nauseated me, physically, in attempting to use 2.0 at all.

Allowing the text chat entry to be streached wider helps a bit, and removing the earlier arbitrary 512 character limit on posts, and restoring that to the 1.x version's 1024 character limit helped a lot.

Being able to add and remove some buttons on the lower bar, and being able to hide the favorites bar and nav bar in favor of the mini-location bar is a big step forward.

They even put the camera controls back together.

Kudos to them for these changes, and well deserved.

Unfortunately, they also broke new things with this version. They crammed the Appearance Editor into the already over-used sidebar, and it now, as with almost every 2.x change, takes several more mouse clicks per activity than the 1.x or even 2.0 version did.

Two small steps forward, one giant step back. There's progress over 2.0, but very slow progress. They need to stop breaking functionality and making things take more mouse clicks to do.

• Lindens

Some have asked and since Ceera thoughtfully brought the crowded Appearance Editor up: I felt the same way and had a hard time practicing how to use it — or even WHY I'd use some of the new layout.

I often do runthroughs of features before they're publicly released so I'm firsthand informed on how to teach Residents, where workarounds are helpful, and where it's too hard to explain things — which is often a substantial signifier that something's not usable. So, rest assured I've given my feedback to our Viewer 2 gurus along the same lines, and will continue to do so as I read Resident feedback.

Torley Linden wrote:

Some have asked and since Ceera thoughtfully brought the crowded Appearance Editor up: I felt the same way and had a hard time practicing how to use it — or even WHY I'd use some of the new layout. So, rest assured I've given my feedback to our Viewer 2 gurus along the same lines, and will continue to do so as I read Resident feedback.

Thanks as always, the new appearance was a shock, useable yes, but it takes awhile to get used to.

There are also a couple quirks with the Mac Platform side of the house. I spoke with Amber on items such as voice morphing, the feedback from inworld residents was not pretty. One said I sounded like Mr. Rogers and the other said I sounded like An old Grandma , while using the Feminine voices.  Interesting to say the least.

Also There was a fix for the Mac ATi graphics card fix, an issue that goes back several years. This was not released on the Alpha version either. If you have an ATi Radeon GFX Card, it will only read 50% of the Cards total value. i.e. 128mb reading as 64mb.  and so on. This is most apparent to the 2007-late 2008 crowd of Mac users.  Hardware skinning is also another issue. I was hoping Viewer 2 would have a little more support for us Mac folks.

Torely, give it a try in world on the mac platform, you will see what I mean. Or hit me up next time you in world, and you can hear me. Something software wise cant be compatible..lol

-Hurana

• Like 1

I was playing with the new beta last night and I could not edit outfits. The place where the gear should be at the upper right of the sidebar was just an arrow spinning. That persisted until I logged off 2 hours later. Since (apparently) inventory wasn't loading correctly, I couldn't edit any outfits or do any other clothing inventory maintenance.

Any ideas why this would happen, and has it happened to anyone else? I've never had any inventory issues before. I did dump my cache the day before, but viewer 2 had no problem with that.

As you know, then this thread is nor a Sl Answer :-)

SL has several forums. But this is "SL Answers" and:

Second Life Answers Format Information: 

SecondLife Answers is a basic question and answer style area. If your topicis really a discussion or conversation please feel free to go to the Second Life Forums and start a thread so the community can join i

Probably your thread is accurate for the General Disccusion: http://blogs.secondlife.com/community/forums/general :-)

I can't hear my avi gesture sounds either - or any other avi sound for that matter, like shoe clicks.  Guess I just get to annoy everyone else with them.  I've enabled all sound options that I can see.  It also prevents you from previewing sounds from gestures, etc., which is quite annoying.  I know on v2 the media volume controls my gesture sounds, but I've turned that all the way up (along with every other bar) and it's not doing anything.  I've gone to the media options in the upper right corner and made sure I had started all.

I really like some of the new features, such as making partial outfits to supplement other outfits (gotta have my binky!) and the default action of wearable prims has been changed to wear rather than properties, but this really limits it's usefulness to me.  I'm only a week old, and I want to see what's out there for me to buy, and having to switch viewers is more annoying than it's worth.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.