Prims

Brett Velinov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5048 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I don't know if this has been posted before but I have not long ago bought some land I furnished it and then decided to change it around so I took everything into my inventory.

The thing is when I click about land it says there are 51 prims still allocated on the land owned by me but I cant find them.  I have tried cnt-alt-t to see if there was anything invisable, I checked if there were items owned by anyone else and there wasn't I clicked the return button and still nothing. I clicked the show button and again - nothing.

Has anyone else come across this.  My land is 1024m totally empty but using 51 prims.

24 answers to this question

I have collected everything of mine that could be found - I looked on the internet and used a few techniques for finding hidden objects, like making invisible things visible and turning everything into a wire frame 'shift-clrt-alt-r' and still nothing. I just cant see where they are or even what they are.

Saying that I do remember about a week ago some items went missing from my inventory, now wether that has anything to do with it I don't know.

I lost some prims once on my land.  They "went missing" like you discribed.  What I wound up doing to find them was alt-control-t to highlight transparent, set my draw distance to 256 meters (which is my normal draw distance anyway),  Then placed myself in the approximate center of my land and starting flying straight up.  Every 200 meters or so I hovered and spun my avi around slowly three times (one while viewing level with the cam angle, one while viewing about 45 degrees down, and one while viewing about 45 degrees up).  I found the offending prims at somewhere near the 2000 meter height.  It might be tedious and maybe not the best way but it worked for me.  The build height max limit is 4096 meters so if you don't see it by about 4000 meters, try looking more or less straight down and up on the way downd stopping each 200 meters or so.

I've found a few friends' items doing that too.........it does work.

Ghost prims happen from time to time - if the asset server is freaking out at the time you delete something or take it back into inventory, it will sometimes "take the stuff" (or whatever) but it will still physically "be" there. It happens a lot less often now, but I have seen it as recently as a month or two ago. Once your sim restarts next time - the stuff you keep walking into should vanish. If you can restart it yourself, you can. If not, check with your sim owner - they might be willing to do it (depending upon how many others are on the sim) or if it's Linden Land - you just have to wait.

I tried that and I get the messege 'your 51 items have been returned to your inventory, but when I look nothing has gone into my inventory and my land still shows 51 ghost prims - I'm begining to think I will have to wait for Second Life to do a land reset or something.

Had the same problem... seems like a new bug.

Had a empty parcel. I rezzed a prim.. deleted the prim.. and its kind of still there... keep walking against it....
Parcel prim count is 1 but when you check whose prim that is it comes up with no result.... Tryed returning everything on the parcel but that didnt work.....I even tryed selling it to an alt but that didnt work either...

In short.. theres absolutly nothing on that parcel but there is.. if that makes sence....

Sim restart solved the problem.

Thanks for all the advice.  I have tried everything suggested to me by everyone and the Ghost Prims are still showing so I think the only thing I can do is leave it in the hands of Linden.

When it has been resolved I will post back what they say at the moment it is classed as a 'work in progress'

Thanks again for all the help.

Ghost prims do not show in show in prim count, they are a collision box that server is maintaning even though the prim is no longer visible or clickable. Those require a sim restart to clear.

What you seem to have is prims located on your parcel that you can not find. They can be anywhere within the area of your parcel up to 4096 meters and very difficult to find, especiall if, as they often are, they something like a watch, very small.

Two things I often try. Select the Show option in About Land > Objects, this causes the object to be highlighted in white. Now go into Night view and camera at different levels and look for the white glow. Remember you need to move within your view distance to see it. Sit on a box and bump it up using edit in vertical jumps equal to your view distance.

Second option, and in your case probably the best: In About Land > objects, refresh the list that shows who owns the prims on your land, click the listing that shows the 51 prims and return them. You can go into edit afterwards and rez the object from your lost and found folder to see what it is. I suggest being in edit before you rez the object so you don't lose it again.

Still no answer from Second Life, I submitted a ticket on the 13th of June and they classed it as a work in progress on the 16th.  Since then I have heard nothing and have added a comment to the ticket and still not heard from them.

I will give it a bit longer and see what happens.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5048 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.