Private chat cutting out after a couple of minutes

Kain Tabak

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am currently using Emerald as my viewer but have a problem with private chat.  I can tald to people in open chat but when I enter private chat the voice cuts out after a couple of minutes.  I can still hear all of the back ground noises and after hanging up the private call I can talk to the person again in open chat.  This seemed to become a problem after changing my internet provider and modem (changed to Telstra ADSL2 and I am using one of their modems) as before this I had no problems at all.

2 answers to this question

Hello Kain, from Voice FAQ: Getting Technical

Is this Peer-to-peer  VOIP?

1. Peer-to-Peer (P2P) for one-on-one conversations
  2. Client/Server for in-world and group conversations

As you say, this is probably a router issue; please contact your ISP for their help and advice. From Vivox Troubleshoot FAQ

My voice chats keep getting dropped, what can I do?

Dropped calls can often be due to home router firmware bugs.  Upgrading the firmware of the router and/or rebooting the router  sometimes fixes the problem.

VoIP protocols don't function correctly in networks that include  some types of NAT transversal or firewall components. The result is  that calls can have one-way audtio or fail. One-way audio usually  results from a double NAT issue or an unfriendly NAT transversal being  used on the network. VoIP itself presents a problem for NAT because the  normal protocols it uses deal with the signaling and establishing of the  connection.

Check that you have the latest firmware for your router. Try unplugging the router for one minute  and then plug it back in.

Before you log in, Clear the   Cache from Outside Second Life You can check the Disk Cache  location from the login screen Preferences > Setup or Network.

Log  into  Region Voice  Echo Canyon,  see Changing your login location, let your Inventory fully load and test your voice.

Thank you Ellla,

It appears that you are correct, I have been doing a lot of research into the problem I am having and it appears that the modem that I was provided with (Thomsen Gateway TG782G) by Bigpond does have a problem.  Of  course I am being told that the firmware is up to date and that it could be noise etc. on my line.  I am actually considering changing my modem at this stage as I think that this will be a faster fix to my proble.  Thank you again

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.