My alt logged on it's own?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I have my alts all friended to each other, in case I'm on two and need to teleport one, give something to it, etc.

I was hanging out and seen in local that  "xxxxx is online" -, which was my alt. I didn't message my alt but instead tried to log in on it. First thing it said was "Logout is in process, please wait" ( The message you get if you try to log back in too fast )

So I'm wondering was I hacked or was this just some sort of bug? I logged the alt and asked a friend if they had seen me come online and then go off for a minute, and they said yes that they did. So it wasn't only me who saw this.

My computer is safe and secure, I don't share my password, and no one knows this is my alt. Any ideas or explanations? Tried to google search this one but couldn't find anything.

Avatars can't come on line by themselves.  Someone logged that alt on using your password.  You either used an easy to guess password, or clicked a link that took you to a site where the information was obtained.  There has been someone who is sending a link around that looks on the surface to be a SL website.  It steals your account information.  The thief then logs on and then sends the link to people on your friends list.  So you may have gotten this link sent by a friend who didn't really send it themselves.  It would have taken you to a page that looks legit but isn't, so you may not have thought anything about it at the time.

Have you checked to be sure that nothing was stolen from your L's account or inventory?  Change your password immediately.  Notify LL so they can track down who did this and deal with them.

Here's what to do:  http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Password-and-account-information/ta-p/700017#Section_.5

I'm going to add to what Amethyst said.

If you Skype with any SL users and accept any files while Skyping there is a Keystroke logger that had been passed on this way.  It is usually spoofed to appear like you are recieving a picture.  And it does get by Anti Virus programs.

There are also several Viewers available that are NOT on the Official TPV list that contain Keystroke Loggers.

In the unlikely event that you have done either of the above it might be recommended you run something like Malwarebytes in Safe Mode on your computer.

I'm actually a very reserved account holder. Very little Skype activity, and I certainily don't add new contacts really anymore. Just old friends. No money was taken from the avatar, my credit card and all that wasn't used and I have since removed it. No one knows it's my alt, and I don't have any enemies, so I can rule out something like someone hacking me that wanted to get back at me or something - at least I would like to think so.

I understand avatars just don't log in themselves.  The account in question was on a minute, if that and as soon as I tried to login in on him myself he got in after the "You're currently being logged out" message, Just a really weird occurence, is all I can think to call it now.

None of my avatars have been logged in either, and they all have the same password. I will keep an eye out and see if this occurs again though.

AnnaRoxia wrote:

None of my avatars have been logged in either, and they all have the same password. I will keep an eye out and see if this occurs again though.

While it may only be a wierd occurence you are playing with fire so to speak if you don't change your password.  Also when you do make sure you double check the E Mail address you have associated with your accounts.

contact info.JPG

Lastly, while it may not be your habit to do so with other things,  using the same password for more than one thing is a poor security practice.

I speak from experience with helping people who did get their accounts hacked.

I'm a password noob, that's for sure - atleast in not having multiple ones. I've gone ahead and got rid of the billing information and there's not much on my avatars that I would get upset up over losing - in case the hacker wants to erase some of my items. And every e-mail is a bunch of sdfjsdsaa@yahoo.com's. Unless they just want to walk around on my avatar, they won't be able to do much. I've changed passwords on all my avatars but him just to see if it happens again.

At least if I was hacked, it was the most harmless hack ever. That's why I thought it was something on SL's end that just showed him on people's lists, sort of like people on your friend's list that aren't there when you message them.

If there's any updates I'll be sure to enlighten you folks, and thanks for the help and advice. :matte-motes-big-grin:

AnnaRoxia wrote:

I'm a password noob, that's for sure - atleast in not having multiple ones. I've gone ahead and got rid of the billing information and there's not much on my avatars that I would get upset up over losing - in case the hacker wants to erase some of my items. And every e-mail is a bunch of sdfjsdsaa@yahoo.com's. Unless they just want to walk around on my avatar, they won't be able to do much. I've changed passwords on all my avatars but him just to see if it happens again.

At least if I was hacked, it was the most harmless hack ever. That's why I thought it was something on SL's end that just showed him on people's lists, sort of like people on your friend's list that aren't there when you message them.

If there's any updates I'll be sure to enlighten you folks, and thanks for the help and advice. :matte-motes-big-grin:

I'm really trying to be helpful here. But we get a lot of people come crying to this Forum after the fact because they somehow failed to understand the "rules."

The TOS states that YOU are responsible for any and all activity that happens with YOUR account.  And should a hacker, if that is what happened, do something in violation of the TOS with YOUR account, you could find yourself locked out of ALL of your accounts by Linden Lab.

In the event that should happen you could find yourself fighting a very uphill battle to gain access to Second Life again.  I'm not trying to make you paranoid, please understand that.  But you should be aware of the risks.  There are some things that Linden Lab does not take lightly at all.

I agree with Perrie.  You shouldn't take this lightly even if there is nothing to steal that you care about.  I know there have been people who have their account compromised by a griefer who uses it to grief sims or people or commit other TOS violations. As Perrie pointed out it is very difficult to prove it wasn't you doing it to prevent being banned or suspended.

They may not have done anything this time, that's not to say that if someone gains access again they won't next time.

You really need a different password for each account and it should be a combination of letters numbers and symbols.  If you have to write them down in RL, that's better than having to try to convince LL you didn't do something.

Hold on a sec.

You got a message "Logout is in process, please wait"

That means that your alt wasn't logged out correctly from last time you logged on with that alt.

And you got a message that "xxxx is online", well that is because xxxx wasn't logged out.

Probably no need to panic then.

There is something going around. I was hacked (phished) a few weeks ago; nothing stolen but they sent spam messages to at least 4 of my groups. I didn't know about it until a few people mentioned it and I was banned in one of my groups. No $L stolen or missing inventory. LL actually locked my account before I could get back in again.

My thread on the whole affair: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Account-Hacked/m-p/2778682#M188922

I do agree with changing your password and that account and on all your ALTS as well.

Ohjiro Watanabe wrote:

Hold on a sec.

You got a message "Logout is in process, please wait"

That means that your alt wasn't logged out correctly from last time you logged on with that alt.

And you got a message that "xxxx is online", well that is because xxxx wasn't logged out.

Probably no need to panic then.

I read that as she was logged in a while (hanging out) when she got the message.

And while 'ghosting' used to be a problem I have played around with how long it takes the Server to realise you are no longer connected and logs you out (by disconnecting my modem) and I've never been able to exceed 90 seconds. 

But you do raise a posibility.  The OP knows the actual time frame involved.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.