Using Private IM's to report someone..

DuncanWulfweards Sparta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5049 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello, My account was terminated with evidence that was taken from the private messages I had. Now i read that under The guidelines written in the Community Standards,  Paragraph 4, Disclosure: "Remotely monitoring conversations, posting  conversation logs, or sharing conversation logs without consent are all  prohibited in Second Life and on the Second Life Forums. Would that mean that the evidence my account was banned over is void?

13 answers to this question

No, sorry.

Here's the way it works.  Someone reports you for abuse, and as evidence, they paste an excerpt from their chat or their IM logs.

LL gets the report and investigates.  Because it's very easy for someone to edit their own chat and IM logs, to "frame" someone or make their offense look worse, LL goes to their OWN logs.  They log *everything* we type, in chat and in supposedly private IMs.

Whatever you said or did is confirmed to be a violation of the Terms of Service or Community Standards.  For an account termination, the offense would have had to have been pretty severe...rampant copybotting, or sexual ageplay, or something equally heinous.

If you think you've been treated unfairly, you can appeal.  But trying to get off on a technicality like the one you suggest isn't going to work.

• Like 1

Basically, LL will use the existing text and that leading up to and following to decide whether or not a TOS/CS violation occured. The quidelines for such things are rpetty well documented in the TOS/CS for you to read and understand before you engage in activities in SL.A good general rule to follow is find the line in the virtual sand, step backwards from it in two giant steps and proceed. If you leave even the slightest hint that whatever activity you engage in violates the TOS/CS you will most likely be found at fault. Your only like avenue of appeal would be to prove through chat logs that the alleged offense did not in fact violate policy.

I hope this helps

Brynn

• Like 1

Just what do you mean by "private IMs"?  Do you mean IMs sent inside SL, using the IM function?  Or do you mean messages sent and received in an application outside of SL, like Yahoo Messenger?

I have never heard of LL taking punitive action on someone based on evidence from sources outside SL, although I'm not saying it couldn't happen.  Certainly, if that's the case, you could appeal the decision.

It was PM's of individuals in game. Say i right click you and send you an Im option from the pie menu and i chat with you. Now someone else in particular hears about this information  and asks for it. I give them this information which they use this information and report me... Not the person I was chating with but someone else entirely  that was a part of the group i was in at the time. cause that's basically what happened..

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand it is, if you PM with someone, and then that someone shares your PM's with a bunch of people in SL, or on the forums here, or even listens in on conversations and does the same, that's against ToS. But, if you were to say something to someone in PM that broke the ToS and they 'shared' it with LL by the way of an AR, that isn't breaking the ToS, because that is between the person making the AR and LL. The whole thing is kept pretty anonymous and even the person who reported you will not be told the outcome by LL. You have to respect the ToS even in PM's. So I would say no, if they banned you because of a conversation or whatever you had in PM, it isn't void.

But the thing is the person who reported me wasn't the person i was chatting with, it was the person that asked for the logs themselves and then used them to report me. they didnt over hear the conversation because it was all in PM not in world. The only reason why the other individual asked for the logs was because they found out something was going on  and wanted the information from me  to get "my side of the story". Which I foolishly gave up... if anything they shouldn't hold any rights to other peoples conversations that they were not incolved in, Such a thing should be an invasion of personal information weither it is a violation or not, that information wasn't theres to share. Nor should I have given it to them because they had no right to ask for it seeing as that was a personal information betwen me and another person. Not the person  who asked for it.

DuncanWulfweards Sparta wrote:

But the thing is the person who reported me wasn't the person i was chatting with, it was the person that asked for the logs themselves and then used them to report me. they didnt over hear the conversation because it was all in PM not in world. The only reason why the other individual asked for the logs was because they found out something was going on  and wanted the information from me  to get "my side of the story". Which I foolishly gave up...

YOU gave them a log of IM between yourself and another person?  Well, that's a ToS violation right there.  YOUR ToS violation, not theirs.  And I'm still confused about what sort of IM or PM it was.  Here you say "all in PM not in world".  In another post you say it was in-world IMs.

This is all very confusing, and we can't affect the outcome here anyway.  My advice is to follow the appeal procedure.

DuncanWulfweards Sparta wrote:

I was unaware wiether I was allowed to give up that sort of information upon demand. And with the current situation the individual demand it from me.. As for follwing up I have been. I am only waiting for them to respond... Been a long wait so far

Following up with who?  The person who reported you?  Linden Lab?

I'm wondering if anything you've said is true at this point.  You say your account was "terminated".  So...how come you're able to post here? 

"...the individual demand it from me."  So...some person said, "I hear you're doing something bad.  Show me the IM you had with XYZ to give me your side of it"...and you apparently did.  You didn't have to respond to their "demand", and you were given the same opportunity to read the ToS as everyone else.

But that's a peccadillo.  Sharing IMs with a third party is against ToS, but generally won't result in an account termination.  There is something more to this story that we are not getting.

I have been following up with Linden Labs abuse appeals of course.. As for everything else I am pretty much as confused  as you are as far as knowing what is going on. I go to log onto secondlife with my original account to find out that it was unable to log onto it  and it gives me a number to calll. I call this number and after some delgation of explaining how to spell my name i was told that my account was terminated. further knowledge of this came when I checked my email and got a message from Linden Labs saying my account has been terminated. So I can't log into Secondlife nor can I log into Xstreet with the account without getting this auth fail message:

Are you having a little trouble with your password or security question? We can get this straightened out by talking to you.

Please call us: (866) 476-9763.

I get this same message When I try to log into Second Life under this account as well.. Why I am still able to log onto here i am unclear of. In all honesty I don't believe i should of been able to but of course as everyone can see I have. As for  the situation at hand, I am aware now that sharing IMs with a third party is against ToS. I read the TOS back when I first made my account. I don't re read it religiously like it was a bible though perhaps after this I should o.O.  What was in those PM that took place with another user could be what I was being terminated for. which was why I began looking into the situation  and recalling what was the last thing that took place before my termination... The more I am continuing this the more complicated it seems to be getting =S I just want to find out what happened to my account and find out how to get it back..

And I dont see any reason I would bother posting this onto the forums if it was all a lie. Everything I have been posting has been the truth. It is just complex and confusing to you as much as it is to me....

You were told by Linden Lab that your account has been terminated.  The only way to get your situation resolved is through Linden Lab.  From what you've related in this thread people have told you the likely reason for the termination.......disclosure to a third party.  I'm in the camp that believes there is some more to this story since LL doesn't "terminate" accounts for anything but the most serious of violations or repeated violations.  The "facts" about your situation seem to be coming in bits a pieces so the thought has occurred to me that maybe your account has not been terminated but suspended........a suspension of an account is more in line with a single incident of innocently handing over a IM chat log to someone for informational purposes only as you implied happened.  That act is a violation that is clearly stated in the ToS and subject to disciplinary actions, up to and including the banning of the account.........but LL seldom goes to the most severe right away.

Talk to Linden Lab.........you could find yourself in deeper trouble by relating more information in violation of the ToS by talking here.  As it is right now, it's a personal issue between you and LL.  It's best to keep such conversations between the parties directly involved.  No one here is directly involved.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5049 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.