credit card questions buying 3rd party

GmailTest

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

what info will be required ?

is there a cap of how much can be put in 

will there be a monthly fee 

if what ever i use it on fails to deliver is there a way to get the money back 

paypal is no longer an option due to it charging my sister $300.00 for something she not even heard of let alone purchased so shes waiting for her money to be returned and closeing the account on top of this wont be helping me make internet purchases 

so my options is prepaid all the way for everything (easier when things i want has their own special cards like karma koin)

will the card tax me when i buy it and then i get taxed again when i make a purchase with the card for a total of 26% tax ?? or will i be taxed on purchase of card but not taxed on item or no tax on card and item will tax me ?

soo im not goign be buying from linden directly so if say dont bother ... prepaid does work for 3rd party yes ?

12 answers to this question

Lexia Moonstone wrote:

google "second life prepaid cards"

and thats how i get "can prepaid be used to buy L$"

and thsi topic isnt about exclusively useing a prepaid credit on just L$ but the card it self 

also last question kinda important because will determine if im adding $46.50 or $55.80

Don't bother.

Issues with prepaid and gift cards

A common cause of payment method failure is the use of unsupported card types. At this time, the majority of prepaid cards are not compatible with our system, even if they bear the VISA/AMEX/Mastercard logo. This includes cards purchased at retail stores, rechargeable credit cards, and bank-issued check cards.

Get a regular credit card or purchase L$ through one of the authorized resellers, some of whom will accept a prepaid card (although probably at a higher exchange rate than the LindeX).

If you ever plan to take money out of SL, of course, you will need to activate a PayPal account.  That is the only way to send dollars out of SL.

• Like 1

We cannot tell you how to get a prepaid credit card...that's up to whoever is issuing the card.

However, as Rolig says, don't bother.  Linden Lab does not accept prepaid cards.

I suggest you open your own PayPal account.  Whether or not your sister has an issue with her account is a completely separate issue.  PayPay is usually very good about resolving erroneous or fraudulent charges.

Prepaid card might be accepted by Authorized resellers, but you use them at your own risk.  If something goes wrong LL will not reimburse you or give you any L's if delivery fails.  You will have to deal directly with the reseller.  Since they are not allowed to pay you RL money for L's, then you won't get any RL money back if you make a mistake.  You should get your L's though if the delivery failed.

You can look at the wiki page given to you and do your own research as to who may accept the card you want to use.  For caps and fees, it's up to you to look into that yourself with each reseller and card you might be interested in.

Reposting my answer from another thread

Okay, call me a sucker, but here yah go.....SL WILL accept prepaid cards SO LONG AS you make sure the card is capable of supporting recurring payments. Not all of them do. I use one sometimes. I don't have my purse right next to me, so I can't tell you exactly which one I use. If you look at the terms on the back before you purchase it, it will say whether or not it will. I got this advice directly from LL. I bought mine at a local drug store. I can tell you that it's a Visa and I refill it with MoneyPak. It has to be one you can register with your name and personal info. Just remember, IT MUST SUPPORT RECURRING PAYMENTS. I can say with certainty that it works, because I just used it last night! 

• Like 1

Thank you. However, this is why the advice from LL says "the majority of prepaid cards" instead of "all prepaid cards". As far as SL residents are concerned, this means that it's very hard to find a prepaid card that DOES work, and many of those take a much higher fee from the user than "the majority" that do not work. The best advice still is "don't bother". Get a real credit card or use PayPal.

Hi GmailTest

I have been using what is called a Money Card for a couple of years now and have had no problems with it buying lindens.  The only fee I've have to pay was a $3 service fee.  It's reloadable and since the money you put into the card is already there, it's no problem.  There is no cap on how much money you can reload the care with.  It does have the option of having no service fee if you reload with a $1,000 or more.  If there is a problem in buying lindens for some technical issue, the money is automatically returned. 

You do have to go to the the SL website to put in the card info so you can pay for L$'s from the viewer.   

I don't know what you mean about tax since there is no tax when buying lindens.  If you use the care to purchase things in real life, then yes there would be a sales tax.  Other than that, I have no idea.

Hope this helps.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.