How to hide online status from friends?

Morrison Humbridge

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

In the previous version of the Viewer, it was a lot obvious, it could be done directly of the 'Friends' tab, just a click. And now, when I got the Viewer 2, it was apparently moved to another where. I look, but I didn't find that option to hide my online status from a specific friend. What I was thinking is that they have removed this option from the version 2; for being something so basic it should be obvious for me. I also looks on the tutorials of this new version and they dont't say nothing about it. So...

Please, someone know how to do?

• Like 1

8 answers to this question

Morrison.Humbridge wrote:

In the previous version of the Viewer, it was a lot obvious, it could be done directly of the 'Friends' tab, just a click. And now, when I got the Viewer 2, it was apparently moved to another where. I look, but I didn't find that option to hide my online status from a specific friend. What I was thinking is that they have removed this option from the version 2; for being something so basic it should be obvious for me. I also looks on the tutorials of this new version and they dont't say nothing about it. So...

Please, someone know how to do?

It's still there. Go to the People tab and select My Friends.  Right click on the friend you wish and choose View Profile (or you can also highlight that friend and click the arrow on the right which will also take you to their profile).  Now click on the Notes & Privacy tab.  There you will find the choices to See my online status, See me on the map and Edit, delete or take my objects.

--Cinn

• Like 1

I'm not that familiar with version 2 but you should be aware thta it is not that simple to hide your online status - simply unchecking that box next to your friends' names is not enough  to hide your status.  Here is why... if your friends belong to the same group as you they will be able to see you online in the group info and also they will see the last time you were logged on.  You can buy huds that will tell you who is online regardless of what they checked in their friends list.  And finally if your friends use the Emerald viewer (and probably some other viewers) they can not only see who is online but who has decided to "uncheck" them - this needless to say, can lead to hurt feelings and worse.  Its a good idea to either be honest with friends if you are busy - or create an alt if you need true privacy.

• Like 1

wouldn't it be nice if they could modify the contact lists to allow us to just leave a short message or even an icon next to our names  that says "i am busy leave me alone" as opposed to setting yourself to busy  which no one knows until they actually try to im you ? that way you can be more selective in who you place on offline. for those who bother you with something important ? ok thats fine but those who bother you with some asinine question or comment knowing you asked to be left alone ? well they are not really friends then are they ?

I like the idea of multiple increments of "busy."  As is, I just never use busy mode; it doesn't warn anyone that I'm busy ahead of time, which means I still get distracting IMs.

I enjoy talking to my friends.  But I also want a Cone of Silence -- a working version of the flawed "friend-uncheck" system we have now.  With the advent of Emerald, the "uncheck" option is untenable now; I have had to stop using it because people take offense at it.  Also, I get IMs from groups and from strangers not on my friends list; usually I'm happy to get them, but sometimes I want to be left alone.  Often I just want to work in peace, and I need my "main" to do so, not an alt.  (It is my main who has the rights to edit my vendors, modify my wares, etc.)  Optimally, the Cone of Silence would store IMs and items the same way that those things are stored when I'm offline, and send the IMer the standard note that the IM/item will be presented to me later.  If I had my druthers, I'd also have the ability to carve out exceptions to my Cone of Silence, so that I could trade IMs with a couple people without being distracted by others.

I haven't used Yahoo IM in years, but last I tried it, you could hide your online status from anyone you liked, and no one was the wiser.  Isn't this a rather standard feature of social networking?

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.