The $ value of the L

DejaHo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Qie Niangao wrote:

DejaHo wrote:

This is exactly what I'm trying to get at - why did you expect a dip?   I suppose it's for the same reasons I wrote this thread.  A dip or a raise must occur, economics 101.  When, and how much?  

This may be why members of the
 generally take another course after Econ 101.

The L$ supply is even more tightly managed than M1, with more awesomely powerful levers than mere Quantitative Easing.

We know that LL sells L$s on the LindeX to prevent the value from climbing much beyond a target of about L$250/US$. Years ago, we even knew how many L$s they sold, but not anymore.

There are also substantial "sinks" in the L$ supply -- processes that destroy L$s, such as upload fees, that generate demand to replenish the L$ supply even when the SL economy is shrinking. Years ago, we even knew how large these sinks were, but not anymore.

From that past data, and from prudent business practices, we can be pretty sure that LL never
buys
L$s.

Hence, although we may no longer know exactly how large L$ sources and sinks are these days, we can safely assume that the sinks are
huge
, and that under normal circumstances, LL is selling
a lot
of L$s into the LindeX. We can assume all that on the evidence of years and years of a flat exchange rate, very rarely even noticeably perturbed by any amount of bad news that might otherwise erode the L$'s value.

Simply put, there must be a very fat cushion of L$ sinks that prevent the value from falling, otherwise it would have fluctuated more in the past. The rock-steadiness of the L$ through the whole cycle of this latest news is further evidence of just how big that cushion must be.

It's been holding at that $250L/US$ rate since around the Summer of 2011.  You have to go further back to find a higher rate.

http://gridsurvey.com/lindex.php?page=22

http://gridsurvey.com/charts/lindexstock.png

Also it is not the only way LL has to pump money into the Economy.  I have seen evidence to suggest that in the past certain Clubs that offered extremely high contest payouts were in fact Linden Fronts.  But that might fall under the Conspiracy Theory umbrella.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

DejaHo wrote:

DejaHo wrote:

Today, the cost of an L, please excuse the following pun, has traded virtually unchanged since before the announcement by Mr. Ebbe Altberg of a 2015 v2 release of Second Life.. That's only 6-8 months from today.

You've misunderstood or misquoted Ebbe. I don't expect to see SL2 before 2016, if at all.

In your most humble opinion Is that early or late 2016?  What do you mean by if at all, are you saying the CEO has lied to us? 

Something as complex as SL2 cannot be taken from concept to delivery in 6-8 months. From my experience with such things, two years seems more likely. So I'd expect to see SL2 ready for occupancy no earlier than mid 2016. I don't think that disagrees terribly with anything Ebbe's been saying. And, to ensure that my opinion is humble,
I'll admit that I'm terrible at estimating how long it'll take me to complete a project.
That's one reason I retired. I was just getting tired of burning myself out to keep my unrealistic promises. There appear to be some things I cannot learn.

As for "if at all", Ebbe cannot control the unknowns and external forces at work on Linden Lab. I expect Ebbe and his team will work like hell to make their dream come true. But, that is no guarantee of success. If they try their best and fail, as I often do, it is not a lie. It is life.

Why are you preaching to me?   I don't need technology lessons either.  I asked a question relating to the sl economy and you're off on some personal riff about deliverables.  The ceo told us 2015.  Do you know when LL started development, no, you only know when it was announced, am I correct?  Just because you are terrible at estimating doesn't mean Mr. Altberg is as terrible as you.   

Qie Niangao wrote:

DejaHo wrote:

This is exactly what I'm trying to get at - why did you expect a dip?   I suppose it's for the same reasons I wrote this thread.  A dip or a raise must occur, economics 101.  When, and how much?  

This may be why members of the
 generally take another course after Econ 101.

The L$ supply is even more tightly managed than M1, with more awesomely powerful levers than mere Quantitative Easing.

We know that LL sells L$s on the LindeX to prevent the value from climbing much beyond a target of about L$250/US$. Years ago, we even knew how many L$s they sold, but not anymore.

There are also substantial "sinks" in the L$ supply
-- processes that destroy L$s, such as upload fees, that generate demand to replenish the L$ supply even when the SL economy is shrinking. Years ago, we even knew how large these sinks were, but not anymore.

From that past data, and from prudent business practices, we can be pretty sure that LL never
buys
L$s.

Hence, although we may no longer know exactly h
ow large L$ sources and sinks are these days, we can safely assume that the sinks are
huge
and that under normal circumstances, LL is selling
a lot
of L$s into the LindeX. We can assume all that on the evidence of years and years of a flat exchange rate, very rarely even noticeably perturbed by any amount of bad news that might otherwise erode the L$'s value.

Simply put, there must be a very fat cushion of L$ sinks that prevent the value from falling, otherwise it would have fluctuated more in the past. The rock-steadiness of the L$ through the whole cycle of this latest news is further evidence of just how big that cushion must be.

Thanks for the response.  Sometimes sinks get clogged and sometimes the more huge the sink the more huge the clog.  What happens when all the sinks get clogged at the same time? 

Plumbers.png

DejaHo wrote:

Thanks for the response.  Sometimes sinks get clogged and sometimes the more huge the sink the more huge the clog.  What happens when all the sinks get clogged at the same time? 

Me, I usually call a Plumber.

DejaHo wrote:

What happens when all the sinks get clogged at the same time?  

Oh, it could happen. Well, less metaphorically, a time may come when nobody wants L$s at any price. Indeed, across the street, a very prominent Estate owner speculated that the ultimate end of the Linden Lab virtual worlds will happen at the same time that the L$ collapses in value. That sounds correct to me.

Thing is, I think there's pretty much zero chance that anything like that will happen when SL2 is introduced. SL1 remains through that whole transition, so it promises to be a non-event compared to other historic changes in the SL economy. Oh, SL2 might eventually lead to that final decline and collapse of the whole enterprise, but not doing SL2 would surely lead to just such a collapse, and probably sooner.

Anyway, it's all pretty pointless to speculate. As far as I know there's no way to sell the L$ short, and only an idiot would hoard L$s expecting a big spike in value.

DejaHo wrote:

DejaHo wrote:

DejaHo wrote:

Today, the cost of an L, please excuse the following pun, has traded virtually unchanged since before the announcement by Mr. Ebbe Altberg of a 2015 v2 release of Second Life.. That's only 6-8 months from today.

You've misunderstood or misquoted Ebbe. I don't expect to see SL2 before 2016, if at all.

In your most humble opinion Is that early or late 2016?  What do you mean by if at all, are you saying the CEO has lied to us? 

Something as complex as SL2 cannot be taken from concept to delivery in 6-8 months. From my experience with such things, two years seems more likely. So I'd expect to see SL2 ready for occupancy no earlier than mid 2016. I don't think that disagrees terribly with anything Ebbe's been saying. And, to ensure that my opinion is humble,
I'll admit that I'm terrible at estimating how long it'll take me to complete a project.
That's one reason I retired. I was just getting tired of burning myself out to keep my unrealistic promises. There appear to be some things I cannot learn.

As for "if at all", Ebbe cannot control the unknowns and external forces at work on Linden Lab. I expect Ebbe and his team will work like hell to make their dream come true. But, that is no guarantee of success. If they try their best and fail, as I often do, it is not a lie. It is life.

Why are you preaching to me?   I don't need technology lessons either.  I asked a question relating to the sl economy and you're off on some personal riff about deliverables.  The ceo told us 2015.  Do you know when LL started development, no, you only know when it was announced, am I correct?  Just because you are terrible at estimating doesn't mean Mr. Altberg is as terrible as you.   

From a meeting with Ebbe at Nonprofit Commons on Friday, July 25:

>>EBBE LINDEN:  Sorry for those who heard me the first time but I'll do a bit of a repeat. 
I was just saying that I like to drop in and meet with a lot of different groups, trying to do it as often as possible to learn more about the communities in Second Life and the use cases of Second Life and what works and what doesn't work so well and what can we do better.  And I also mentioned that yes, we have started to talk about the fact we're building a next generation virtual world.  Not a ton of detail of what it is exactly but I'm happy to take questions and answer as much as we know at this point, which is not even close to everything.  It's very early.  It's going to take years.  It will probably start to reveal itself in some sort of alpha beta form later next year.

Note the "It's going to take years" and "alpha beta form later next year" ... the new virtual world isn't just around the corner.

At this point in the design stage (very early), nobody has a good guess at how long a project will take. Until they know what they need to do, they can't make a reasonable estimate. We know they haven't been at it long ... they've just started hiring people to work on it.

Why worry about the value of a Linden anyway? As has been pointed out already, it's controlled by LL. Besides, LL could zero out everyone's Linden balance and call it a day ... it's officially play money, after all. :matte-motes-wink:

DejaHo wrote:

DejaHo wrote:

DejaHo wrote:

I've already made my determination (which I'd be happy to revise, given evidence) that you let your dogma out unleashed, allowing it to block your view of the evidence it's burying. As I've already pointed out (Thanks for the backup, Par!) you've either ignored or misunderstood what Ebbe has said. Similarly, you're either ignoring or miscomprehending what I write. For that reason, it may be apparent to others that I'm not preaching to you.

And I'll remind everyone of something else you said...

"When will the L take a hit? Maybe it's the $ that takes the hit?"

As you appear humorless so far, I'll take the second sentence to be serious. If you really think that missteps by Linden Lab in the rollout of their next virtual world will affect the US dollar, I'm not sure I can find the words to describe the level of ignorance you're displaying without sounding young and trendy.

As bad as my project estimation skills are, I think they're above average. Many large software projects run late and over budget. It gets worse if you're designing the thing and the business model as you implement it. I like what I'm hearing from Ebbe, and wouldn't crucify him if he adjusted his targets and even missed them by a little. He had the guts (or naivete, it's hard to tell them apart ;-) to spill some beans. That's refreshing.

DejaHo, I sometimes write my posts to everyone but the person I appear to be replying to. This is currently the case and I've enlisted you as a potentially unwitting accomplice. I don't think there's anything left for you to prove for me.

I don't label myself "Nefarious One" for no reason.

;-).

I don't label myself "Nefarious One" for no reason.

;-).

No, you don't. You label yourself thus because it's true. Your friends just keep putting up with you for reasons that are not well understood (btw the last seven words make up a very common expression in Geology textbooks: one of the reasons I prize Geologists).

DejaHo wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

First it is not SL2.  It will be (if it works) an entirely different world so it should be called the new world or grid.  It won't even be named SL.

Everything you said is pretty much unfounded speculation. 

Tell me Amethyst, what insight do you have that you know what the new platform will or won't be named?  You are writing snark and petty symantics.  

I said nothing that leads to speculation.  The Ceo said there will be a new platform and I want to discuss the impact of the new platform on the value of the L.  If my question is too much for you to directly speak to then try not replying at all.  

Ebbe Linden said it was going to have a new name not related to Second Life, although they haven't decided what it will be yet.  He also said it wasn't going to be a second version of SL but something entirely new, although there will be similarities in spirit.

Now to speak directly on the value of L's....

Ebbe Linden has said L's will be the currency used in the new world and the L's will be transferable and that the Lindex will be continued as a way to buy and sell L's.  Further, when the new world is available, SL is not being shut down.  LL has stated they have NO plans to close SL.  Of course if it becomes unprofitable because large majority migrate or just leave SL, they may close it then.  But that isn't any different from now.  LL is a for profit company.  When a product is no longer profitable a company stops making it available.  So there may be no change in the L's value other than the normal fluctuation of supply and demand that has always occurred.

L's may take a hit if another VW entices a lot of SL residents to go there rather than here, and a lot of people leave SL and sell off their L's, thus decreasing demand and drive the value down.  But here again, this has always been the case.

On the other hand, the new grid may turn out to be wildly popular and attract a lot of new residents that never entered SL which could increase the demand on L's and that could drive the value of L's up.

Until much more is known about the new grid, no one can say anything other than the usual laws of supply and demand will continue to work as they always have on L's.  Your mostly negative assumptions were speculative based on nothing, because mostly nothing is known about the new grid yet or what impact it will have on individual residents deciding to migrate, stay or play in both worlds.

Finally, if you post here in the forum, anyone is free to respond, whether you like what they say or not. 

Perrie Juran wrote:

Also it is not the only way LL has to pump money into the Economy.  I have seen evidence to suggest that in the past certain Clubs that offered extremely high contest payouts were in fact Linden Fronts.  But that might fall under the Conspiracy Theory umbrella.

adding to the Conspiracy with a capital C

have noticed over the long time that many new people I met who get into the Mainland real estate business in a small way. They never had any trouble selling their first few parcels (when was set at a fair market rate prevailing). As the days (weeks) went by their sales rate then start to dip toward what can be expected. Beginners luck maybe? or nefarity ???

(:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.