telling225

Do you voice to verify people on here?

48 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

In RL I rarely phone. I'm a text addict. Keeps it short.

I have friends that a phone call is at least a 30 minute commitment, and I rarely have time for that.

• Like 1

I do voice chat but it's extremely rare and only with people I've been friends with for some time, but like I said even then it's a rare occurrence. I have a speech impediment that makes me self conscious so that's a huge reason why I don't voice much, but even if I didn't speak oddly I still don't think I would like to mic a lot. I feel like I can communicate my thoughts better with text.  I do not include pictures of myself nor do I want to see pictures of others. I do, as of recent use Facebook for my SL avatar but it's not connected to my real life account. 

Do I voice verify people? No, why would I? Having said that, if they wish to voice I don't mind and sometimes I like to voice too. 

i look at profiles before contacting them.  you can tell a lot especially if they have no profile but a dozen groups

No because in my experience guys who require voice verification are super insecure and typically only interested in jerking their gherkins.....

• Haha 3

Nope. If someone requires voice verification, it's his or her problem, not mine. I don't care the slightest if the person I'm interacting is a woman or man in RL, why should I?

I think it is a culture thing. Many guys from Asia and South America run the good old A/S/L? routine from IRC in their first lines of IM communication, revealing theirs unasked and hoping you would do the same. Voice verification to them might be just a reassurance of neccessities of politeness - too bad out Western definition of politeness might differ.

1 minute ago, Fionalein said:

I think it is a culture thing.

Never thought about that perspective. Sounds plausible.

I was quite recently approached in a store whilst shopping for Neph, by an American guy with a, by the looks of, it 20 year old photograph of an already graying man posing next to a motorbike in his RL section, asking "why haven't you voice verified". I don't know, perhaps some guys are just so stupid as to believe that SL has an official means of voice verification that you must go through before putting that in your profile? Judging by the comments on the "gay community" found in his picks (and how he had a pick dedicated to his religious beliefs and how Jesus loves him, and how he's a Master-dominator-X3000 </creative interpretation pictured below> in another), I reckon he was just senile, confused and scared accidentally talking to a scary homosexual person who'd want to get into his avatar's extremely large jeans (I swear, Neph could have made a tent out of a single leg of them. He was yay-big <flails arms wide aside>).

Dz0-ByHUUAAiOON.jpg

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I don't voice verify myself because... there is no point. It's not hard to ask sister/brother or a friend sitting next to the computer to speak few words to microphone instead of account owner. Besides, I treat people in Second Life as they want to be treated - that's why it's called "second life", after all. It's like with movies like Avatar or, even more, Surrogates... so, if I hear a female avatar speaking with male voice, or male avatar using feminine one? Well, for me, its just a voice. What is important is self-identification of the person behind the avatar. If they state they feel like male or female (or any other gender), I'm sticking to that. Less stressful to them (they can use voice and not fear of being judged), less complicated to me. Win-win.

Edited by panterapolnocy