telling225

Do you voice to verify people on here?

16 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

necro.jpg.568ba13089db517f35e257c86a4285b1.jpg

not me. Because that hawt Gianni on the beach who makes my knees tremble, might turn out to be this guy RL 😸

Funny though how issues/questions from years ago are still as relevant now as back then. Some things (attitudes) never change :)

• Like 3

Oh wow 2014... However, i recently been asked to voice to confirm i am not a woman ... by a woman ... So we live in a strange era where everything is upside down...

I only voice if i feel i can 100% trust someone. Im a guy irl but use a female avi. and this is the internet so i reserve my strength for potential bullies.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I remember back in 2014 a lot guys  did this not pointing fingers guess was a thing you think died down by now.  You wonder why women and men run  away close the chat they don't wanna here voice verify for me. People want to get to know someone few messages hang out then maybe voice not gonna happen in mind to seconds. Not everyone can voice some people have disability or do to their life if they don't wanna voice leave them alone people can be friends. 

Edited by Vanoralynna
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I don't voice generally because I don't like my voice. I mumble and I know I do, and I like the fact that when I type I sound far more eloquent than I do when I turn on the mic. 

When it comes down to having to verify I don't agree. If you want to, by all means do it. If you are with someone and want to take it to the real world then its on you to be honest or be prepared to give the other person the shock of their lives when you actually do meet. But I'm still not a fan of telling anyone 'you must'. 

A tick in a profile means nothing, and even SL has voice morphing built into it. Why does anyone really NEED to know? You have a conscious conscience; use it or don't at your own discretion. 

Edited by RaeLeeH
Because I can't spell, obviously.
  • Like 3

The thing I like about second life and modern technology is it allows me to exist. Where else can a part drow wood elf lycan hang out?  I don't know if it's the ability to transform into a 9ft ravening monster, that can outrun and rip to shreds most others, or the sheer ludicrousness of asking someone who's profile states they're a mythical creature to prove anything, but the subject rarely comes up. I did get asked to prove I was a real female once, I replied I would as soon as he proved he was a real dragon. I'm still waiting for him to get back to me.

As long as we stay within TOS we can be whoever or whatever we want and don't have to prove anything to anyone. SL is a place to let your imagination run riot, why spoil it by conforming to some petty minded creeps obsession with RL ?

• Like 4

I clearly state my gender in my RL profile and yes its complicated because I am trans in SL but never transitioned in RL... Its one of the great things that SL helps in for those of us with gender dysphoria. 

What I will NOT do is voice... that's a deal breaker for me mostly because it ruins my own SL transition... and people who insist on "voice verification"  sorry that is a big red flag to me they want too much RL anyways... That's fine if some people want to try to use SL as an RL match making service however there is a HUGE contingent of us who want NOTHING to do with that.  So I tend to package all those voice verification people into a nice tidy bin of "People i want no more than a friendship with"

I honestly think the people who probably have to deal with this the most are cis gender RL women.  Its no surprise that there are many people gender experimenting in SL and that's one of the great things about SL... you CAN... but here is the question... what is next after voice verification? weight verification? height verification? non-baldness verification? wealth verification? The whole idea of having to verify something about your RL self before someone will have anything to do with your SL self to me is nothing more than the ultimate form of vanity.

Now maybe these things are more important once people start using SL as an RL match making service but as I said earlier... that is where I take a big pass and walk away... and its usually gonna always be someone who at some point asked you to "verify" something.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Evangeline Ling said:

... what is next after voice verification? weight verification? height verification? non-baldness verification? wealth verification? [...]

Brain verification! Surprising few pass that one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I find voice verification to be a completely wacky concept in itself. Options to cheat that aside (if you are really determined, you can), it serves really no purpose. So, the person you flirt with is female. Now what? Would you boink every female person on planet earth? Probably not. There is no information gained, that verifies that the person controlling the other avatar is in any way desireable for you. Of course, in a virtual world it doesn't matter how that woman looks, what she earns etc. but why does her gender matter then? Its not like you ever meet that person and you aren't "catching the gay" from unknowingly flirting with a man.

I stay away from people, who want to voice in order to verify something. They want too much RL, put themself first and I simply am not that needy, that I couldn't pass their generious offer to get intimate.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

It truly takes someone special to wake up voice for anyone good connection I am confident enough to voice no problem and if someone forces voice its bye Felicia it takes respect in good mannerly way.    Trust has to be fully earned and agreed I love to voice in good manner typing but typing  boring after while yes its not for everyone everyone has freewill . But yes someone coming up you saying voice for me you need to verify yes that is wrong. Get to know someone taking it slow hanging out for hours few messages then voice nothing should lead on that makes anyone feel uncontrollable.  Just if the connection not their I would want to waste someone time ether I read people go by the energy and the vibe. Everyone Pandora box is not the same some like to voice some like to type we all have a story we are all in this magic together. 

Edited by Vanoralynna

Why  do you want me to voice verify? it does not matter what you say, I think that you want to voice verify because deep down you hope someday we can meet in RL, that to me is a huge red flag, making me want to run away right now. i take everyone's avi at face value, even if you are not human. I have friends who are animals and I think of them as animals,  even though I know they can't really be

• Like 4

On 6/23/2019 at 1:53 AM, Talligurl said:

I have friends who are animals and I think of them as animals,  even though I know they can't really be

I have friends in RL I sometimes think of as animals, so its not that strange ;)

On topic: I hate voicing in SL for so many reasons, but all boils down to immersion breaking. A voice never matches (and ruins) the image I have of someone I know in SL. And to be honest, for verification? I could not care less who or what you are in real life. I value my SL friends for how they represent themselves in SL.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I don't care for the voice option here. that's what Discord is for. lol  and even then, I type more than I get on voice, much to my DJs' dismay. 😛

Edited by Catrie

I won't voice to verify being a woman.

• But I am a DJ, so if people think hearing my voice is important to them, they can come listen to my sets. 
  • I'm a pilot and I sometimes take passengers along. It's easier to talk in voice than type.
  • If friends want to chat in voice I often will.
  • And I have limits on the use of my hands that make typing difficult at times. So if people want to chat, voice will often be easy there too.

So there are plenty of opportunities if someone wants to hear my voice. But just because somebody feels  that somehow verifying my RL gender will help with their insecurities? No, I will never voice for that.

By the way, has anyone ever heard of being asked to voice to prove you are really a man? I've never heard of that one.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Female Winslet said:

By the way, has anyone ever heard of being asked to voice to prove you are really a man? I've never heard of that one.

Neither had I, but I asked the question a little while ago and a male user said he had been asked to voice verify. I don't think it's anywhere near as widely demanded, though.

I'll voice for friends, have even sung on occasion. I won't voice just to prove I'm a woman though, on principle. I've had a few idiots flounce off at that and declare me male in RL but it's hard to be wound up about that. If I'm in any doubt, I can just look down.

Am I right in thinking Premium account holders get a voice morpher? If so, I guess that shows LL's stance on it.

4 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Am I right in thinking Premium account holders get a voice morpher? If so, I guess that shows LL's stance on it.

Supposedly we do get voice morphers. I've never managed to figure out how to use them.  Then again I have not tried too hard. 

17 minutes ago, Female Winslet said:

Supposedly we do get voice morphers. I've never managed to figure out how to use them.  Then again I have not tried too hard. 

If it morphs you into Yoda, I might be tempted to go Premium.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Female Winslet said:

Quite frequently.

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I don't think it's anywhere near as widely demanded, though.

I believe it's more complex than what can simply be explained as male or female behaviour on zhe Internets. I think what you have to consider is the intention of the person who asks; and yes, there's been that long standing idea of that 'there are no women on the Internet' which is something that have gotten a lot of people very confused (or upset).

I also think that women tend to be less direct about it - or more polite about it, rather. Instead of saying 'I want you to voice verify' the ones I've come across tend to tell me that they 'get tired of writing' or 'can't write whilst playing games' and so want me to do a voice call with them instead. Some have gone further still, and demanded video calls - I'm not a huge fan of them, but they can be fun to do on occasion.

And do women ask for pictures of one's private anatomy? Yes. Yes they do. Not all of them, but the majority of the ones I've been with (which are more than I'd like to admit).

• Like 2

Voice verification is often just the top of a long list of demands. Who asks you for voice verification pretty much at the time you get to know each other, is mostly a lonely soul, just wanting a girlfriend desperately.
After you voice, you get asked to share your social media info, you will be asked what you wear right now, you will be pushed to turn on your cam, and in quite a few cases you even will be offered train or plane tickets to have  a rl date. If he cant afford to pay a ticket to meet at least somewhere in the middle, he will ask you to go to his place on your own. 
Thats not necessarily everyones cup of tea i assume, including me.

9 hours ago, Orwar said:

And do women ask for pictures of one's private anatomy? Yes. Yes they do. Not all of them, but the majority of the ones I've been with (which are more than I'd like to admit).

You always sound honest, and I have no reason to disbelieve what you claimed, but at the same time something inside me screams "nooo way".
What i would like to know is if you fulfil their wishes and how you do it? If i receive pics i didnt even ask for, then its mostly a vertical and blurred shot, taken with a potato cam. Soo much effort... :)

2 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

You always sound honest, and I have no reason to disbelieve what you claimed, but at the same time something inside me screams "nooo way".
What i would like to know is if you fulfil their wishes and how you do it? If i receive pics i didnt even ask for, then its mostly a vertical and blurred shot, taken with a potato cam. Soo much effort... :)

I'd never send one that wasn't asked for, and I don't always want to do it when asked for even if it's by a partner that I've already sent one before, simply because there are some difficulties with that kind of selfies. Difficulties that might be difficult to explain without shipping this thread to another part of the forums.

• Like 1