telling225

Do you voice to verify people on here?

Nope. I don't see why I have to verify anything about myself to a random Internet stranger.

I've chatted in voice with friends, which is a very different thing. My choice. My decision. (and theirs of course!)

Anyone who tries to coerce you to use voice to "prove" anything is either an insecure drama queen, or a power player. Or a mentalist. Block, move on.

• Like 1

Tari Landar wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

My 10 year old made a transgender woman cry the other day.. We were at the grocery store and she was ahead of us in the deli line and my daughter walked up to her and told her she hoped she was as beautiful as her when she grows up. I have to admit, i had tears in my eyes. I am always blown away by how accepting kids can be when raised correctly.

Children are a remarkable species all on their own. It is we, adults, who manage finding ways to screw them up along the way.  Thankfully, not all of us pull off this devastating act.  I would venture a guess that your daughter is as accepting as she is, because you, yourself, are an amazing parent.
:)

Kids never cease to amaze me, to be honest. They are a perfect example to us adults, yet we rarely look to them as such

I think that's why some of us, perhaps most of us, so love Second Life. We can revert to that kid state of mind. We can just walk up to people and talk to them and take them as they are, and they can do the same with us. Nobody is worried about what someone else might think.

• Like 1

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Tari Landar wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

My 10 year old made a transgender woman cry the other day.. We were at the grocery store and she was ahead of us in the deli line and my daughter walked up to her and told her she hoped she was as beautiful as her when she grows up. I have to admit, i had tears in my eyes. I am always blown away by how accepting kids can be when raised correctly.

Children are a remarkable species all on their own. It is we, adults, who manage finding ways to screw them up along the way.  Thankfully, not all of us pull off this devastating act.  I would venture a guess that your daughter is as accepting as she is, because you, yourself, are an amazing parent.

Kids never cease to amaze me, to be honest. They are a perfect example to us adults, yet we rarely look to them as such

I think that's why some of us, perhaps most of us, so love Second Life. We can revert to that kid state of mind. We can just walk up to people and talk to them and take them as they are, and they can do the same with us. Nobody is worried about what someone else might think.

Sadly, far too many people care what others think and or say in SL. The number of people that stay locked in their shell untill they meet that one person who breaks them out always saddens me.

• Like 1

I do voice with guys but only my Brothers, never strangers. I would never do so to 'verify' anything, I know what/who I am, they don't need to. Also, none of my Brothers ever pressurises me to go on voice or did so to verify anything. I have no intention of speaking to guys I don't know on voice and if asked they get told if they want real life, they know where the red x is

telling225 wrote:

I was unfriended by A guy i met on yesterday, because i didnt want to voice chat with him. I told him i wasnt ready for that right away because we had only met the day before. i let him know i wasnt looking for relationships only friendships anyhow. I am a rl female but i hate how pushy guys seem to be on here, with the voice chatting etc. Rl ladies do you voice chat with guys on here? I am two months old on sl by the way. I like it so far, but i dislike how pushy some of these guys are

Hello Telling, and welcome to SL!     To answer you question:  No, I don't use voice to "verify" people. 

I was in SL for 3.5 years before I used voice, so no need for you to rush, and don't let people pressure you.  (Sounds like you won't let that happen, and you're perfectly fine to move at your own pace) 

When I did first use voice, it was with a man, and I actually was surprised at the way he sounded!  *laughs*  I wasn't prepared for his accent (Which was all kinds of sexy, but still unexpected  ; ) 

I do regularly use voice in SL now, both in my personal interactions, and also when I DJ.   At this point I can't imagine not using voice inworld, as it's as much a part of my SL as it is my RL. 

telling225 wrote:

I was unfriended by A guy i met on yesterday, because i didnt want to voice chat with him. I told him i wasnt ready for that right away because we had only met the day before. i let him know i wasnt looking for relationships only friendships anyhow. I am a rl female but i hate how pushy guys seem to be on here, with the voice chatting etc. Rl ladies do you voice chat with guys on here? I am two months old on sl by the way. I like it so far, but i dislike how pushy some of these guys are

I was unfriended by a guy for not being online for just one week!

People can be very strange.

But regarding voice chatting. I never do it. I have only ever spoken with one person via voice in Second Life.

With pushy guys, I have either made them feel like they have a chance with me, and have teleported them to a box full of bots (try voice chatting with them!!!), or I have pushed them off a 4096m platform without a parachute.

You will find a**hats all the time in SL, like you would in real life too if you were in a club.  Luckily, though, among all that sand, you can sometimes find a nugget of cold. Keep panning.:)

• Like 1

Marigold Devin wrote:

telling225 wrote:

But regarding voice chatting. I never do it. I have only ever spoken with one person via voice in Second Life.

With pushy guys, I have either made them feel like they have a chance with me, and have teleported them to a box full of bots (try voice chatting with them!!!), or
I have pushed them off a 4096m platform without a parachute

You will find a**hats all the time in SL, like you would in real life too if you were in a club.  Luckily, though, among all that sand, you can sometimes find a
nugget of cold
. Keep panning.

It's not surprising that one who pushes people to their death would be searching for a nugget of cold.

No wonder Maddy likes you.

I play a woman on SL because I have G.I.D. and it is my chance to explore what it is like to be a woman even if it is virtual. I use a voice changer to completely feminize my voice (I actually only have to change the pitch by two octaves because I have a high feminine voice anyways). I used to DJ and people LOVED my voice (even though it was slightly enhanced) and made tons of friends. It is on my profile that I am not a woman in RL and yet, there were still some people (men mostly) who had a problem with me being a guy in real life.

One guy was giving me grief at a club and trying to embarrass me and I told him "who cares, it's a video game" to which the dope replied "nu uh, this is for real." I said "If this is for real, then why am I looking at a pixel avatar in third person point of view surrounded by vampires, neko, and Furries on a star wars-like space station?"

Another time, I was trying to be in an adult magazine in SL and they wanted to voice verify me. I was like "You're just taking nude photos of my avatar and I don't actually speak to anyone so why do I need to be a real woman for this?" The manager was understanding but her male partner was not and he tried to give me the old "some guys don't care but some guys do so we make sure they know all our models are women in real life." I told him "Oh, so because some low self esteem, psudo-homophobic loser can't go out in the real world and get a real woman and has to try and be a studmuffin in a video game and can't handle how I play SL, I have to be discriminated against?" Good news, I was featured in the magazine.

• Like 1

Snugs McMasters wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

telling225 wrote:

With pushy guys, I have either made them feel like they have a chance with me, and have teleported them to a box full of bots (try voice chatting with them!!!), or
I have pushed them off a 4096m platform without a parachute

You will find a**hats all the time in SL, like you would in real life too if you were in a club.  Luckily, though, among all that sand, you can sometimes find a
nugget of cold
. Keep panning.

It's not surprising that one who pushes people to their death would be searching for a nugget of cold.

No wonder Maddy likes you.

Oooooooh I really did put "nugget of cold" ... twas a hot day here in the uk (hot for the uk that is to say).

I once took my male alt to a female-only club, was ejected and banned faster than the speed of light and received numerous IMs from several females needing to vent their hatred for all of mankind.

It was an amazing experience that I could not have had in real life.

At the time I wondered how many of those female avatars who scathed at my male avatar were really women in real life. It didn't matter. We were all in roleplay.

SL is an amazing place.

• Like 1

Oh that is too funny and sadly true. I've been to lots of "lesbian" clubs. Once, I was at one that a friend of mine owned and one of the girls complained about me being there. The owner said (all of this in local chat btw) "Lucita is a female avatar." The girl said "but her profile says she's a guy in real life so she's a guy." The owner said "but her avi is female so that makes her a woman in SL."

Needless to say, the girl kept trying to "expose" me and embarrass me and ended up getting kicked out herself. I apologized for all the drama and asked if they wanted me to leave and all the rest of the girls replied with an enthusiastic "hell no! You are awesome! You are always welcome here! Forget about that close-minded B and enjoy yourself."

• Like 1

Between a little bit of voice training, voice changing software, and having a friend at your house to say "Hello" for you, "verifying by voice" is putting faith in a pretty rickety bridge. It's not reliable. Only a simpleton would base their trust in someone based on hearing sounds from their computer.

SL is SL. People can appear in any way they chose. I would love to see this guy's reaction to meeting a dragon. "Belch fire in voice, or I am out of here!"

You met an idiot- be glad that he presented you with such a clear declaration of how he does not understand SL and his bigotry.

hi

I was told that voice is a way that people can find out your IP address and your loccation.

so that is why I personly do not use voice now.

you see I was griffed from day one.

so becareful who you upset, lots of people have use SL for a long time and know the little ways to grife people with out being ban and staying with in the rules

enjoy Sl, but becareful.

byee

I would second much of the sentiments of the others in this thread, because I myself have experienced this many times in SL. Probably he was looking for cheap thrills and perhaps a few have fallen for his angle.

I would like to address another part of voicing and camming in SL and that is something like stage fright. It took me months to build up the courage to voice, but now, I voice all the time. As Celestial has said, once you get used to it, it is simply another dimension to SL, no big deal really.

Concerning the cam verification thing, that is an exploit some guys use, I have come across it with various men. One guy in particular stands out for me, he ran a gorean RP sim had the requirement that all of his city's girls had to sex cam with him as part of the application to join. I looked at the girls on his sim and felt a bit sorry for them. I found another sim to RP on that same day.

Camming, and in particular sex camming is not something I do lightly following my experiences last year. That requires a level of trust far beyond SL and for me personally Its not something I would do without some sort of system with checks and balances in place, for me to use, in the event that things go badly in the future.

jeffrey1 wrote:

hi

I was told that voice is a way that people can find out your IP address and your loccation.

so that is why I personly do not use voice now.

you see I was griffed from day one.

so becareful who you upset, lots of people have use SL for a long time and know the little ways to grife people with out being ban and staying with in the rules

enjoy Sl, but becareful.

byee

You have no idea what an IP adress is, right?

Your IP adress basically just gives the country and sometimes roughly the area you are in. That is not enough for the average person to track you down ----> Nobody will show up at your door an knock. Quite a lot people also have changing IP adresses. The whole fact that your IP adress is not a secret to websites and many other services is the best hint, that its nothing that sets you in danger.

BilliJo Aldrin wrote:

I was at a new club one time (not even open yet)  visiting my friend that was training to be a dancer, so to pass the time i asked if i could use a pole.

The owner said no, not untill we verify you.

I said "how, live webcam shot of my **bleep**?".

He said "no, we voice verify".

I was annoyed so i said... "hold on one sec, i'll get my wife".

You never seen anyone kicked and banned from a club as fast as he did me.

LOLZ, epic.

And shows the real value of "voice verified girls"... Utter and complete nonsense. Anyway, you're your avatar, I couldn't care less what you look like behind the keyboard, and whether you're human, canine, feline, a robot, or whatever.

What's next, "blood verified vampires"?

Voice verify is one thing so you want to verify my gender I pick up the mic and say Hi I am a female or i  am a male.  What does that prove that the voice they heard was a male or female.  It does not mean the person you are interacting with when you go back to texting is the sex they say they are.  I have heard all the horrable stories.  I guess I don't look at SL as a dating service such as Eharmony or Match.com.  I come for relaxing and interaction with others from around the world.  if I meet someone nice and we forge a friendship that is awesome.  But I think the percentage of finding true RL love in SL is less than 2% and that might be being generous.  Bottom line I love to voice with my friends but if someone makes you uncomfortabale just remember you are a click away from being rid of them.  Only do what is in your comfort zone and not worry what others expect of you.

Also wanted to add even if you trust someone and you cam your picture of however you choose to represent your self can be taken by their cam.   So unless that doesn't matter to you then cam on.  

To the person who thinks that the ip address is stolen during voice well I imagine most things are possible but i have never heard of that and if someone wants to get your information and is resourceful I am sure you don't have to voice for that to happen.

Don't do it.   I find the idea ridiculous for all the reasons previously posted.   I talk to friends on voice occassionally but do prefer to type.  I feel no need to "verify" anything for anyone.  Next they will want me to verify I look like my avatar. Then what, they'll want my SSN to run a background check? 

Take into consideration the person's reasons for asking anyway.  That's enough to make me uninterested in their friendship right there.  I've been unfriended for not "verifying" myself. I had nothing to prove to that person.  My friends and my rl fiance can vouch for my gender - not that they care.

It's the same with the men, and I am one.

It's all about him a.) wanting to know you are a RL female so he can B) lead you into voice poseball sex with him and then..c) try to take you onto skype to cam for him.  Women do the same to men and men do the same to men. (I am gay)

NO means NO. Don't feel bad...middle finger him, block, derender and walk. Keep in mind that this is more sex life than second life and that is how many think.

It's not just ladies who have this problem I'm male and because someone said I must be a female in rl I almost lost the very one I care most about I was even banned from a sim and doing something I really enjoyed was told unless I used voice I would not be aloud to show a matter I refused to do cause its blackmail so move on and enjoy sl there are plenty of people who don't voice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DEARGLEOMHAN said:

It's not just ladies who have this problem I'm male and because someone said I must be a female in rl I almost lost the very one I care most about I was even banned from a sim and doing something I really enjoyed was told unless I used voice I would not be aloud to show a matter I refused to do cause its blackmail so move on and enjoy sl there are plenty of people who don't voice.

Apparently, if you put in your profile "Voice verified" with a then you are verified. 

On a serious note. Noone should be made to voice. It's up to you in any case. 

• Like 3

Lol I love the amount of time between the last few posts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4