UICOP Alchemi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I logged in one day and my avatar was without hair...i tried adding hair from inventory and everything and still no hair.  I also can't modify the look of my avatar to look older. I can modify the size of the head, color of lips, etc, but not freckles, wrinkles, and those types of definitions.

Anyone run into such a problem? Advice would be great.

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

Dear Uicop,

Under these circumstances, the first step to take is cache clearing. Do this:

1. Go to Edit, Preferences (Me, Preferences in Viewer 2).

2. Click on the Network Tab.

3. Click on the Clear Cache button and click OK.

4. Restart Second Life.

Good luck,

Sandor

Let's take that in reverse order.

Freckles, wrinkles, muscle shading and fine details are a part of your skin.  Most skins are No Mod, and cannot be changed with the Appearance sliders, although there are a few exceptions.  To change your skin...put on a different skin.

Hair.  There are two kinds of hair.  The first kind is "system hair" and can be adjusted with the Appearance sliders.  It's represented in your inventory by a little icon like a head of hair.  System hair, like skin, shape, and eyes, is always mandatory...you have to be wearing it.  You can't remove it directly, only replace it with another like item from your inventory.

Most people's system hair has the apprearance sliders set to 0, and gives the appearance of a bald head.  In fact, the generic term for this system hair is "bald cap", or "baldie".  This style is so common because the hair that most people wear is the OTHER type...prim hair.

Prim hair is a "wig" object made up of many prims and attached to your skull attachment point.  Its symbol in inventory is a little yellow box, like any other object.

Having said all that, there may be yet another problem...SL could be having inventory issues.  Last night, I met an avatar whose entire Library folder was missing from their inventory.  If that's the case, it could be the cause of your appearance problems, especially if you are using one of the starter avatars.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.