How do i turn off the hovering text that appears over a scripted object?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

20 answers to this question

Hi Jordan!

If it's a scripted vendor, you click the vendor to get the menu and disable hover text.

If it's an object with a simple hover text script in its Contents tab you would think you could just right click/edit then open the Contents tab and delete it. Unfortunately, that still leaves the hover text visible. Hover or floating text is a prim property and not dependent on a script for its continued existence.

What you should do is open the contents tab then open the hover text script and delete all the hover text wording between the inverted commas but leave the inverted commas alone. Then your text will disappear as there is no text left to display. In other words you may have "click here for landmark" as hover text. After deleting the words you just have "".

There is also another script you can place in the contents tab if you go the delete route which nullifies the remaining hover text. I think I have it somewhere but not online at the moment. However the method I suggested above will work.

Nyll

If you have modify permission, and there is a script in the prim that does not do anything else like, like sit, just delete it, then jump to the Script part below. Most often ppl name hover text scripts, hover_text, floating text or something similar. Look for that if there are multiple scripts. Remember in a multiprim object (link set) the text script may not be in the root prim, it may be in a daughter prim so it ends up above the object.

-------- Script Part -----------

Create, either in your inventory and drag into the object or use the New Script button, a script called Kill Text. In that script put the following:

{
    state_entry()
    {

llSetText("", <1,1,1>, 1.5);

}
}

Thats it. The little script will kill your hover text.

I have the same question as the OP. I assume from these answers that  there is no way to eliminate text from appearing when the cursor is held over an object? Even though everyone seems to be able to do that? This page shows up on Google, so it would be useful to have an answer here.

7 hours ago, Christina Halpin said:

I have the same question as the OP. I assume from these answers that  there is no way to eliminate text from appearing when the cursor is held over an object? Even though everyone seems to be able to do that? This page shows up on Google, so it would be useful to have an answer here.

Linden Viewer: Debug Settings \ ShowHoverTips = False

Edited by Mollymews
linden

1 hour ago, Christina Halpin said:

thank you. Yes, turning off hovertips worked for me, but I basically have a gallery and don't want other people seeing the hovertip.

My menu suggested the possibility that at the default option, some objects would not show hovertips.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/New_Hover_Tip_default_behavior

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.