Scripters???

Clementine Lectar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5059 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So a friend of mine has started making poses, and she's looking for someone to write a script that can change colors on an object and change poses on that same object (as in letters with poses in them).  She spoke to someone and he wanted 15 THOUSAND LINDEN for a full perm script.  I don't know anything about scripting, how much work goes into it or what the usual cost is...but that seemed insanely high to me.

So my question is, what is a decent price for something like this?  Is there anyone that you all can recommend for what she's wanting done?  Thank you for your answers in advance.

11 answers to this question

Your friend would be correct, that is the sort of price you'd look to pay for a VERY full functioned script, not just one to change a prims colours and/or appearance.

Firstly, open the LIBRARY folder in your inventory - there are some sample scripts in there that are full permission.  Secondly, check out http://www.xstreetsl.com - the XStreetSL marketplace.  There are TONS of scripts ranging from free to a couple of hundred Lindens that do a lot, and if you're willing to spend a few thousand you can get some extremely powerful building, posing and script-making tools.  I myself use the U-Pose system for making custom animations ( https://www.xstreetsl.com/modules.php?name=Marketplace&file=item&ItemID=276563 ) - it also features a perfect sitter to sit in poses it's made on furniture you're creating -  and the Beadrez system for making jewellery ( https://www.xstreetsl.com/modules.php?name=Marketplace&file=item&ItemID=922903 )

Certainly for ten thousand Linden you should be able to get the scripted technology to do much, much more than just change a single prim.  Check out XstreetSL - you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Oh my, 50 bucks for something she intends to make money on by selling tons of them, that might take an hour to whip out by the scripter, yeah, way out of line. What would you suggest would be fair, SL wages, say - $L30 an hour?

The suggestions are good, check the library and write one. Then, when you are totally frustrated and things do not work well, see how you feel about that 50 bucks.  :-)

Sorry, don't really mean to take it out on you, just tired of people thinking scripting is something to be taken for granted and not paid for. Just because anyone is allowed to script, it doesn't mean anyone can, or should. When scripting limits come into play, I will be really interested to see how much stuff gets broken.

Um...I believe if you read my entire post, you'll notice that I clearly state that I'm not aware of the level of difficulty that goes into scripting or how much the standard price is for a custom script.  Which is why I asked.  But thanks for your sarcastic douchebaggery that wasn't helpful.

P.S. As a pose maker who's just starting out (as I also stated in my OP), there's no telling how long it would take her to become successful in selling her poses, if she ever did become successful.  And if she didn't, I suppose it really wouldn't be worth the 50 USD for that script.

This is a half-hour's  work, one prim and multi anim. Not changing the color thet is true, but if she really wants I can make it.

And it is free (if she wants can pay me I'm not gona say no).

// TWO-BUTTON ANIMATION VENDOR not any more

// Origional script by Thili Playfair

// Heavily Modified by Karandas Banjo

// Radically modified by Ariane Brodie who converted the texture vendor into an animation vendor script

// Modified to  a multi anim posball Pickles Leeeroy

// Please include these names if you modify or

// re-distribute this code ^_^

// Just drop your animations into the main prim,

// and touch the prim, and you're ready

float time = 0; // Enter a value if you want time based

// scrolling otherwise set to zero.

// NO TOUCHY BELOW HERE

string vendorname;

integer total;

integer counter;

integer change;

integer anim_on = FALSE;

string curranim;

string lastanim;

vector offset=<0,0,1.0>;

key avatar;

{

state_entry()

{

rotation rot = llEuler2Rot(<0,0,PI>);

llSetSitText("Animate");

llSitTarget(offset,rot);

llSetCameraAtOffset(<0.0,0.0,1.0>);

llSetCameraEyeOffset(<-4.0,0.0,1.0>);

}

touch_start(integer total_number)

{

total=llGetInventoryNumber(INVENTORY_ANIMATION);

vendorname = llGetObjectName();

counter++;

if(counter>=total)

{

counter=0;

}

lastanim = curranim;

curranim = llGetInventoryName(INVENTORY_ANIMATION,    counter);

if (anim_on)

{

llStopAnimation(lastanim);

llStartAnimation(curranim);

}

} 

changed(integer change)

{

if(change == CHANGED_LINK)

{

if(avatar != NULL_KEY)

{

llRequestPermissions(avatar,PERMISSION_TRIGGER_ANIMATION);

}

else

{

if (llGetPermissionsKey() != NULL_KEY) {

llStopAnimation(curranim);

anim_on = FALSE;

}

}

}

}

run_time_permissions(integer perm)

{

if(perm == PERMISSION_TRIGGER_ANIMATION)

{

llStopAnimation("sit");

llStartAnimation(curranim);

anim_on = TRUE;

}

}

}

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5059 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.