MESH HAIR!

Tazzie Tuque

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A lot of creators and others as well are not going to like this post!  I have been in SL almost 9 years and seen a lot of innovations, changes, updates .. seen it all.

As for Mesh,  well it certainly has it's place;  "some" clothing;  objects, vehicles etc.  cuddos to the creators who have managed to create some great stuff and actually get it uploaded to SL!! (something I have yet to accomplish due to incompatabllity with my 3d software being unable to save in the required .dae format)

But I digress!  the ONE place mesh does not belong is hair!  Mesh hair to me is a return to the old days where hair stayed unmovable.  When flexi came out hair suddenly started to look way more real and attractive, it moved and flowed like real hair.  I just returned from a gruelling few hours at the hair fair and found not 1 hair that was not mesh!  It all basically looked the same or was whackier and more outrageous than any sane avatar would wear.  I know mesh hair is way less time consuming to make, requiring less prims..  but it is static, boring, very cartoonish.....  Please Please will some of you Hair Creators go back to Flexi, and create once again something I will buy?  until then I will wear my old hair and save a load of lindens!

• Like 2

I beg to differ!

Mesh hair is better quality, textured and shapes. Flexi hair is quite annoying and can mess up once in a while, the textures are bad, and I think flexi hair should just be deleted.

Myself, I do not wear/own ANY flexi hair, and NEVER plan on it.

Unless the textureing and such, were 400x better than they all are now..

:matte-motes-smug:

Karbos wrote:

I beg to differ!

Me too - to differ from your view. :matte-motes-big-grin: :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Long mesh hair looks like it's made of clay, with painted on hair strands. It looks very unnatural when it bends with avatar animations. No real hair acts like long mesh hair does. With flexies it is possible to achieve more realistic looking long hair. Then there are hairs where the base is mesh and additional flexies to give the hair some life. Those can be pretty convincing looking.

So flexies for hairs definitely still have their uses.

For short hairs and up-do hairs mesh is ok as there is no need for the flexiness.

Mesh is great but mesh is not the only solution for 'everything'. :smileywink:

• Like 1

I'm with you on this one, we always called it a ton of hair spray hair. I'm not sold on most mesh clothing either because I will not change my shape to make these clothes fit I will not do it. Also with the hair if your standing at just the right angle it looks like theres an invisaprim around your head.

Because LL refused to give us a shape asset per fitted mesh, such that we could adjust each layer. There isn't always a gap though, it depends on how it's made and also on how sensible the avatar shape is. Some people choose shapes that are so anatomically impossible and then complain because clothes made for reasonable shapes ends up distorting horribly.

Some people dislike the way that flexi hair intersects with the avatar and other objects so no pleasing everyone.

Have a look at Analog Dog. Many of the mesh hairs have flex additions, same for Catwa. Seems a reasonable compromise and gives a nice balanced result.

Kudos to those designers who are trying to meld flexi with mesh;  I admit I have one or two from my fav. hair designers.  My point it that where I used to spend litterally thousands of lindens on hair;  I am now spending maybe a few hundred perhaps once every two months usually on old flexi hair still available.  And if there are more like me;  then the hair designers must be feeling it.  I may still visit the hair shops and try a few demos but rarely if ever do I leave having purchased anything.  But I suppose in the big picture one avie really doesn't make a whole lot of difference what I think.  But still had to express my feelings on the matter  :matte-motes-frown:

As for Mesh clothing in general; that is a whole other discussion,  this one was meant for Hair only.

• 2 years later...

Wow! now that is interesting!  My old post from 2014, gets a response 3 years later!

Well since someone is still reading this:  I might as well put an update in here lol.

In 3 years I must confess that mesh hair has come a long long long way!  The newer mesh hairs are for the most part pretty awesome!  Some hair creators have nailed it!  And yes, I am now buying mesh hair from a few creators, I have my favourites about 4 or 5 so far, and as long as they keep putting out realisitc and flattering hair styles I will be spenidng my lindens on mesh hair..  LOL.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.