Screen 'whiting out'… graphics card issue?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since having my graphics card replaced I am experiencing loss of picture after being logged in for about 10/15 minutes. This presents as a couple of flashes and then a white screen. Sound is fine and I can see at the very top edege of the SL window that my cursor is moving on the desk top behind but I can't quit because I am not able to see the 'quit' dialogue box to select 'yes'! Also, because the SL window remains open and covering the screen I can't select 'Force Quit'.

Using latest firestorm on an iMac

OS X 10.9.4

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB graphics

Have reduced graphics to Medium (previously always run in High mode) and lowered draw distance but this doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Advice on where to start looking to resolve this problem much appreciated…

IG

edited: for clarification and extra info

I'm thinking if you can select "run in a window", that should enable you to access Activity Monitor so you can force quit from there.   I'm not too familiar with Firestorm, but on Singularity, this can be selected while still offline ...  Edit >> Preferences >> Graphics >> Run Viewer in a window.

As for why you have the white screen, I would love to dazzle you with brilliance, but sadly I haven't a clue.   Hope somebody else can offer help on that!  Good luck!

Edit:  just clearing up my poor typing! :)

Sorry, maybe stupid questions ... but somebody has to ask 'em:

- did you install the latest and greatest driver for your graphics card?

- does it only happen in SL or in other programs as well?

- is the card compatible with your Mac in the first place?

- the AMD 6900 series is kinda the best AMD has to offer, so if you don't get a good gaming experience from it you should bring your machine back to the Apple Store and let them sort it out. I mean that thing was expensive, damn.

- why are you dressed as a clown? Clowns frighten me. :smileysurprised:

Hi Orca,

Thanks for your reply…

1. Mac drivers are automatically upgraded with system upgrades… there's no manual download/install

2. Only in SL (both Firestorm & default viewer)

3. It's the card that comes with this graphics intensive build

4. In conversation with Apple… hope they can help

5. Sorry, didn't mean to frighten you… since my avi decided he wanted to dress as a white face clown I've met a lot of people who suffer from Coulrophobia. Sometimes he scares me, too :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.