Why Are My Knees So Low On My Avis Shapes

VRLD

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3339 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why Are My Knees So Low On My Avis Shapes It Does Not Look Right On My Shapes I ve Also Seen This On Other Peoples Avatars To The Upper Legs Is Way to Long & Lower Legs Are Way To Short, Is This Because Most People Are Using Cheater Shapes & Not Better Avatar Shapes That Are Higher Price & How Can I Fix This Problem.

Badly done proportions. If you bought that shape this is expected... All shape sellers in SL more or less suck at art and have no understanding of anatomy...

Without seeing an image AND you shape dials for the lower hal of the body plus the overall height dial... it is hard for me to be specific...

I recommend making your own shape. I and some others have blog based guides to doing this.

The reason you see the avatar like that can also be due to that you are using the default camera view. That view has the camera very high; which makes the legs look shorter than what they actually are. The default camera view is also one reason why we see (with better camera location) so many "grasshopper" legs avatars walking about the grid. Insanely high heels even enhance the grasshopper legs syndrome.

Well, you were talking about that the knees look too low. First of all you might want to check how the avatar looks with better camera location.

You can set that in the Debug Settings. It's in the advanced menu; if you cannot see the advanced menu then press CTRL-ALT-D

When you have the Debug Settings window open a quick way for a better camera location is by changing the values in CameraOffsetRearView to the following:

X = -3.700
Y = 0
Z = -0.100

Then check how does the avatar look in this view. If it still looks strange (knees too low) then most likely the shape indeed has rather bad proportions.

By the way, I'm curious to know how you see the image below? Does it look ok to you, or not ok?

The left one is Second Life avatar, the right one is a real woman (with avatar's hair overlaid on it).

If you start adjusting the camera settings, which is a good idea to do, don't forget the front and side (group) cameras. I use these values:

I like my camera just behind my avatar by one body length and about butt level, angled slightly up or slightly down. Here are my personal settings:

CameraOffsetRearView
X: -2.5
Y: -0.100
Z: -0.300

FocusOffsetRearView
X: 0.4
Y: -0.100
Z: 0.100

It will make SL look a heck of a lot more like a 3D world looks in most games – which allow for objects to not seem as cramped as they tend to in Second Life.

For the Front and Side Camera, try these:

Front Camera:
FocusOffsetFrontView
X: 0.5
Y: 0
Z: 0.3

CameraOffsetFrontView
X: 2.1
Z: -0.2

Side Camera:
FocusOffsetGroupView
X: 0.1
Z: 0.2

CameraOffsetGroupView
X: 0.5
Y: 2.3
Z: -0.3

(Its a lot easier to look at the front of the legs with the front camera - it will stay in place as you move. So it can be useful to have a front camera that actually looks at your avatar properly. :) )

Back to the core question: as far as I know (I know **bleep**) we have no way to set the length of lower legs compared to length of upper legs. In the Appearance editor all we can edit is the length of the whole leg. Oh my that LL Appearance editor is such a hodgepodge of a badly made piece of software, it sickens me how mucked up the whole, thing is.

• 7 months later...

VRLD wrote:

Why Are My Knees So Low On My Avis Shapes It Does Not Look Right On My Shapes I ve Also Seen This On Other Peoples Avatars To The Upper Legs Is Way to Long & Lower Legs Are Way To Short, Is This Because Most People Are Using Cheater Shapes & Not Better Avatar Shapes That Are Higher Price & How Can I Fix This Problem.

VRLD wrote:

High heels Shoes some makes your knees not so low but I don t away wear high heel shoes.

zomg VRLD, it's a disaster, and getting worse! Now, in addition to your punctuation keys, your shift function appears to have stopped working!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3339 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.