RLs and Hyperlinks in Profile / About window

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello like several other people I noticed that there is some other people in Second Life who found the way to add Hyperlinks to some words in their profile.

So - for example - instead to write the entire web address: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/GeneralDiscussionForum

they write: Forum    and give to this word the hyperlink HTML attribute so it works like a web link

I did tried to write in my Profile / About the standard <a href= attribute but it doesnt work 

I have been told I was not able to see it but other people would have seen it right but it has been not like that.

In short... is there anyone out there who is generous enough to condivide the knowledge?

:) I hope so

example hyperlink.jpg

phaedra Exonar wrote:

I tried this in firestorm and it did not work:

[
Firestorm]

what section of the profile are you doing this in?

You won't see it right because you can edit those text fields, and therefore they'll show you the pre-interpreted (non-link) version; try it again, then ask others (with v3-compatible viewers) if they see it correctly in your profile; or try seeing it yourself from an alt of yours.

Kenbro Utu wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

That may give you a profile with links you can see, but the rest of SL will just see a mess:

It does produce clickable links in the in-world profile in Firestorm. 

But only there I presume - meaning... the rest of SL will see a mess.

This looks like another one of those attempts to create a different 'shared user experience' on the part of a TPV. The idea is nice, on the surface (but it could let someone make one URL appear to be another - will it at least show the real URL on a mouse-over?)... but this looks like something that should go through official vetting to prevent it from being used for phising attacks.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Kenbro Utu wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

That may give you a profile with links you can see, but the rest of SL will just see a mess:

This looks like another one of those attempts to create a different 'shared user experience' on the part of a TPV. The idea is nice, on the surface (but it could let someone make one URL appear to be another - will it at least show the real URL on a mouse-over?)... but this looks like something that should go through official vetting to prevent it from being used for phising attacks.

I tested with an alt with both firestorm and the SL viewer and got a working hot link with no mess.

web profile html.JPG

htmal legacy.JPG

phaedra Exonar wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Kenbro Utu wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I tested with an alt with both firestorm and the SL viewer and got a working hot link with no mess.

No conspiracy here Dear Pussycat, no end run around the Shared User Experience.

Clickable links became available in profiles with Viewer 2.0.  Viewer URI Name Space.  However, Web Profiles were not introduced till later on, I believe with 2.5, but you can do your own homework on that.  But what happened was the functionality did not carry over cleanly from the sensibly designed old style (Legacy) profiles to the poorly designed Web Profiles.  Hence the differences you see in the two screen shots above.  Here is a very nice example in a Legacy Profile.

However, it appears the OP is trying to use HTML himself to get the links to do something that won't work in either profile, hence the 'garbled text' you see in search.  If the OP is trying to do what I think he is trying to do, the way it is done is with a Tiny URL as explained by Caitlin in this thread.

If there was anyone to point fingers at for breaking the shared user experience it would be LL for allowing both styles of profiles to co-exist.  Me, I'm grateful LL has not deprecated the Legacy Profiles.  I've never had a single problem with Legacy Profiles, but just how many times have there been problems with Web Profiles, not to mention their poor design.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.