Contest Board and Sploders will be removed ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok. So reading all of this still has me confused. I've been reading ToS since all this came out & honestly I see more run around 5 syllable words than straight answers. Let me see if I can post here & perhaps get a legitimate yes or no answer.

Contest boards: Contest boards will be allowed because they're not a game of skill or chance. They are a social game. Yes or no?

Sploders:

Now there are two types of sploders. There are sploders in which everyone in the pot pays in to. This would be illegal correct? 

The other type of sploder is the ones like the voodoo sploder in which no one pays into except the club owners/staff. These are legal or illegal? 

If the voodoo like sploders are illegal, would the traffic cones etc be illegal because those are the same. No payment required to enter them. 

Raffles:

Would raffles & raffle balls fall under this same gaming policy. In all events, people pay into them & the winner is random. There is one raffle ball that I have seen that requires no payment, however all the others I've seen do. 

Other games: 

Several clubs I have worked for have things such as word scramblers & trivia balls. They are payable & do give prizes for correct answers when paid. Will these be illegal as well? 

I have submitted 3 tickets simply asking for a yes or no on this asking for a simple yes or no. No reply at all to the tickets. Forums all I get is quotes from ToS. I've read ToS. Still completely confused. As a business owner on this grid, I think we should be able to get a simple yes or no question on this matter. 

Qie Niangao wrote:

Actually, it would be fantastic if somebody could come up with a replacement activity that serves the same purpose as sploders. I mean, the money involved isn't worth the trouble of finding the stupid things, but the little bit of anticipation and... I dunno... "passive competition of lucky fates" or something... whatever makes sploders a draw... it would be amazing if somebody could invent another pure form of that, because frankly, sploders have had a good run, but they're pretty tired and lame after all these years.

An item version would work well. People click to enter, and then it randomly selects a winner at the set time and gives them an object prize (also randomly selected from prize objects, if there's more than one in the sploder). The scripting wouldn't be a whole lot different from things like midnight mania and lucky cupcakes, but it has the same feel of entering before the deadline and having a chance at the prize.

I've always preferred item prizes anyway, as you never know what it'll be... and the owner can switch out the prizes to keep it fresh.

CyllyaStar wrote:

I've read ToS. Still completely confused. As a business owner on this grid, I think we should be able to get a simple yes or no question on this matter. 

Not really.  The ToS is there to be read and interpreted.  LL aren't acting in judgement here, only asking creators and operators to offer legal opinion that their items are in compliance.

LL isn't interested at all, it's just a CYA exercise for them so that if challenged by US authorities, they can present paperwork provided by YOU and the creators.

Ergo, it's up to you to provide that legal opinion.  Anything else provided here is just "opinion" it's not a legal opinion as required by LL in the form of a notarised affidavit.

Polenth Yue wrote:

Qie Niangao wrote:

Actually, it would be fantastic if somebody could come up with a replacement activity that serves the same purpose as sploders. I mean, the money involved isn't worth the trouble of finding the stupid things, but the little bit of anticipation and... I dunno... "passive competition of lucky fates" or something... whatever makes sploders a draw... it would be amazing if somebody could invent another pure form of that, because frankly, sploders have had a good run, but they're pretty tired and lame after all these years.

An item version would work well. People click to enter, and then it randomly selects a winner at the set time and gives them an object prize (also randomly selected from prize objects, if there's more than one in the sploder). The scripting wouldn't be a whole lot different from things like midnight mania and lucky cupcakes, but it has the same feel of entering before the deadline and having a chance at the prize.

I've always preferred item prizes anyway, as you never know what it'll be... and the owner can switch out the prizes to keep it fresh.

I used to do Hunts and MM Boards when I had a little time to kill.

It's been a year now.  I quit after the last couple of hunts.   My "trash" rate was over 90%.

So if someone is going to use 'objects' it better be something useable.  If I want 'freebie quality garbage' I can go to Yadni's and pick stuff up from back in 2004.  Some of which had better quality than some of the hunt items I've seen.

I'd rather have 10L.  At least I can upload a nice texture with that.

Here's my thoughts (bear in mind that I am neither a lawyer nor a Linden. The Lab has a reputation for unexpected interpretation of their own TOS).

Contest boards: Contest boards will be allowed because they're not a game of skill or chance. They are a social game. Yes or no?

Yes. You do not pay in L$ to enter or vote so they will be allowed.

Sploders:

Now there are two types of sploders. There are sploders in which everyone in the pot pays in to. This would be illegal correct? 

Correct.  L$ in, L$ out = not allowed (except in authorised gaming regions by authorised operators)

The other type of sploder is the ones like the voodoo sploder in which no one pays into except the club owners/staff. These are legal or illegal? 

If the voodoo like sploders are illegal, would the traffic cones etc be illegal because those are the same. No payment required to enter them. 

Correct. No L$ in, so the gaming rules do not apply, same as contest boards.

Raffles:

Would raffles & raffle balls fall under this same gaming policy. In all events, people pay into them & the winner is random. There is one raffle ball that I have seen that requires no payment, however all the others I've seen do. 

Provided that the prize is an item and not cash, these would be allowed, since they are not L$-out. Cash raffles would not be allowed unless they do dont require L$-in to play.

Other games: 

Several clubs I have worked for have things such as word scramblers & trivia balls. They are payable & do give prizes for correct answers when paid. Will these be illegal as well? 

Depends. Most games of this sort don't take payment in, so they would be fine. Some accept "donations to the pot" from anyone; this feature would have to be removed (not merely disabled but actually removed from the product).

The easy rule is, L$-in, L$-out is not allowed.

The easy rule is,
L$-in, L$-out
is not allowed.

Sorry Lewis, but I can think of numerous examples where your simplified rule will give wrong results.

As I have argued in previous posts the TOS only applies to wagering, which can be defined as "To risk or stake (an amount or a possession) on an uncertain outcome." I suggest that a more correct simplified rule about the TOS is this:

"no wager no problem"

So, a no-loose sploder is ok, even though there is "L$-in, L$-out". My answer to Cyllya's list: Ok are Contestboards, No-loose sploders, Free-to-enter raffles, Word scramblers, and Trivia balls. Not ok are Loose sploders and Pay-for-ticket raffles.

jkessels wrote:

The easy rule is,
L$-in, L$-out
is not allowed.

Sorry Lewis, but I can think of numerous examples where your simplified rule will give wrong results.

As I have argued in previous posts the TOS only applies to wagering, which can be defined as "
To
risk
or
stake
(an
amount
or
a
possession)
on
an
uncertain
outcome
."
I suggest that a more correct simplified rule about the TOS is this:

"no wager no problem"

So, a no-loose sploder is ok, even though there is "
L$-in, L$-out
". My answer to Cyllya's list: Ok are Contestboards, No-loose sploders, Free-to-enter raffles, Word scramblers, and Trivia balls. Not ok are Loose sploders and Pay-for-ticket raffles.

Wow you are trying to squeeze things through.

With No-Lose Sploders the outcome is still uncertain.  Sure I am guaranteed I will get back something but how much is still uncertain.  It is still a wager on an uncertain outcome.  I could wager $1000L and still only get back $1L.

The only way you might get around this is if everyone got back more than they payed, but I doubt if that would fly.

jkessels wrote:

A sploder configured for no-loose will pay back your stake as a minimum, Perrie. Not 1 linden. So there is no chance of loosing. So there is no wagering. So there is no problem.

Which makes me wonder what the point of it is then?

But is no biggie to me.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.