Lag...

Yolandi Parkin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hey there fellow "lifers"...

Have this lag problem for the past few weeks.  Game play for me has come to a virtual standstil.  For nearly a year with my current service provider everything relating to SL was great.  Voice, rendering (rezzing)... everything.  But these days voice sounds like a bad cell phone connection and I can never seem to get my clothes on .  I always seem to be a "cloud".  Believe me... I love to be on "cloud nine" most of the time... but this is a bit much.

Now my service provider wants to know what is the IP address of the server we are logging into so that they can start tracing the problem with the lag (long ping times, heavy packet losses etc.)

Can someone please help?

Regards
Yolandi

15 answers to this question

Clear your cache to see your AV again.

Reduce your graphics setting to help with that lag. Set your draw distance to maybe 125 meters.

About that connection:

For wired connections: Disconnect all wires concerning your connection, wait 30 seconds then plug them back in again, including the modem and transformer. Wires should snugly fit into ports.

Make sure your Ethernet adapted driver is up to date.

Open the statistics bar (view > statistics bar) and the network preferences (edit > preferences > network > maximum bandwidth slider) TP to a SIM while the SIM is rezzing set the Bandwidth slide bar for the  maximum kbps you can achieve in the statistics bar. This location should be near the maximum speed of your ISP service. (This doesn't improve things much on viewer 2)

You can check your connection speed here:

http://www.speedtest.net/

• Like 1

Hey Fabubio

Thanks for getting back so soon.

1. Set graphics right down to low... other than for local lights and one other setting - shiny or bumpy or something...
  2. Draw distance down to 64m.
  3. Dumped cache a few times.
  4. Viewer 1.23 or 2 - same story.
  5. Used speed test and ping test - results so so... ping 600ms, packet loss 2-4%... distance 10,000miles or there abouts...
  6. Bandwith settings from 300 to 512k does not really solve the issues... ;-(

Used speed test and ping test - results so so... ping 600ms, packet loss  2-4%... distance 10,000miles or there abouts.

Try this test to maybe 2000 miles at most or to San Francisco would be good.

Your connection is slower then mine. this is not good.

Does this PC/laptop meet the minimum system requirements for SL?

http://secondlife.com/support/system-requirements/

Do contact your ISP and see if they can improve your connection.

Message was edited by: Faubio.Alter ............ your connection speed is the big problem here. SL transfers lots of information per second.

Yolandi Parkin wrote:

Now my service provider wants to know what is the IP address of the server we are logging into so that they can start tracing the problem with the lag (long ping times, heavy packet losses etc.)

Can someone please help?

I don't know if this will be useful. See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Firewall_Configuration#Server_IP_Addresses

Server IP Addresses

For up-to-date information on IP addresses, see:

You can subscribe to these articles to be notified when the article  is updated.

You may also use the Second Life Viewer to access virtual worlds  hosted by organizations other than Linden  Lab.  Contact the hosting organization for the IP addresses used.

Faubio.Alter wrote:

Do contact your ISP and see if they can improve your connection.

Have you read the OP?: "Now my service provider wants to know what is the IP address of the  server we are logging into so that they can start tracing the problem  with the lag (long ping times, heavy packet losses etc.)"

Log into SL and go to the sim where you have the most problems.  Once there, open the Help - About Second Life.  You will see the server name and IP address there.  Looks something like this:

You are at 285018.2, 275442.0, 114.9 in Bouncer located at sim9755.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.45.89:13002)

Hope that helps.  Of course, don't TP somewhere else while they are testing or you will be connected to a different sim

--Cinn

• Like 1

For wired connections: Disconnect all wires concerning your connection, wait 30 seconds then plug them back in again, including the modem and transformer. Wires should snugly fit into ports.

Please note doing this is an incredibly bad idea under normal circumstances and is a last ditch measure. This will default any and all security settings configured within your router, and will open your wireless connectivity to the public in most cases if it is part of said router.

Katarina Malthus wrote:

Please note doing this is an incredibly bad idea under normal circumstances and is a last ditch measure. This will default any and all security settings configured within your router, and will open your wireless connectivity to the public in most cases if it is part of said router.

No.  Rebooting a router does not disable the NAT firewall.  Although it CAN be disabled, and you're right, that's not a good idea.

Firewalls come in many forms. Windows OSs contain them, many security software suites contain them and yes some routers contain them. So what would you recommend if a power outage occurs while using your router. Perhaps it's an assumption but if your router is configured as a firewall then the owner/user of the system more then likely configured it and knows the procedure to enable custom settings. While the wires are pulled the system is off line and once plugged in again will as you said reset to default settings. I will however make those instructions clearer in the future excluding router from the restart instructions. In other words for modems only perhaps that was not made clear.

Message was edited by: Faubio.Alter ................. The edit ............... For wired connections for modems only: Disconnect all wires concerning your connection, wait 30 seconds then plug them back in again, including the modem and transformer. Wires should snugly fit into ports. These instructions do not apply to routers.    For wireless connections and routers: Reset your system clock. see "help and support" in Windows for directions.

(edit) This does not however solve the loose wires in ports problem because of shotty craftmanship by modem, router and wire connector manufactures.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.