Newb Can't Log In

Tegan Luckstone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Installed this thing for the first time today, viewer 2.  When I try to log in, I get this error message:

"We're having trouble connecting. There may be a problem with your Internet connection of the Second Life Grid.

You can either check your Internet connection and try again in a few minutes, click Help to view the Second Life Support Portal, or click Teleport to attempt to teleport home."

I haven't been able to log in at all.  Uninstalled the Viewer 2, installed a previous version I found on the site.  Same error.  Reinstalled Viewer 2.  Shut everything down, restarted.  Same error.  Opened ports on my router (Airport Extreme).  Restarted everything again.  Same error.

I'm pretty much ready to give up on this game/program now.  Is there any point in continuing to try to log in, or should I just dump it now?

5 answers to this question

Hi Tegan,

The error you are experiencing is usually caused by a firewall issue.  For example, if you have Win7 or Vista and are running the Windows firewall, you need to configure it to allow SL to pass.  If you are trying to access from a corporate network or perhaps from a university's network, you may have a more difficult time correcting the problem as it could be a setting in the corporate/university routers that block this.  I know my company has a very open Internet policy and yet SL is blocked and I get the same error if I try to access from a work location. And we even have a presence in SL!

So I guess rather you continue to try to work on getting access depends on what kind of Internet connection you have and if you know what firewalls might be in place and how to adjust them.

--Cinn

Here's the run down of possibilities from the wiki

--Cinn

There's a possibility that the region you're attempting to log into  in Second Life is down for a few minutes (it might be restarting). If  Second Life just crashed or you were disconnected, it's possible you're  attempting to log in from a bad location.

Try changing your login location and log in again.

If you're running a firewall or firewall/internet security  software, it may have a security warning in the background that's  interrupting Second Life's login process. You may have to reconfigure or  disable this third-party software to use Second Life.

If you're using wireless networking, you may want to try a wired  connection.

During periods of high activity, the login process may pause  during Connecting to Region. In this case, wait for Second Life  to return to the Login screen, or display an error message.

You might also try uninstalling Second Life, then installing it  again from http://secondlife.com/download,  to remove any temporary files that might affect the login process.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.